Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: was 8 diagrams experimental?

Veteran Member

Default was 8 diagrams experimental?

people keep saying, here and there, on this forum that 8 diagrams was an experimental album. i agree in the sense that some songs were a bit different than the usual from rza, but i would say that he has much more experimental sounds even going back to 36 chambers. anyways. what do you think?

was 8 diagrams experimental by rza standards, and was it experimental by 2009 hiphop standards?
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

sorry but rza still thinks he`s scoring the kill bill movie (hence heart gently weeps) really scoring movies has ruined rza`s production skills even further than before.

rza hasnt really made a hot beat since 97

peace

i'd say it wasn't experimental by either standard, every song and every beat has a precedent somewhere in wu's catalog, rza's catalog, and hiphop as a whole

the experimental label was thrown out as a rebuttal to the album's detractors on some 'you just don't get it' bullshit. if anything, this is the most mainstream wu-tang clan album imo. it's got 'stick me' and 'starter' on it which are not underground or experimental by any means.

the closest thing to experimental would be 'unpredictable' because they were experimenting with shitty choruses that are off beat and sound like complete ass

i think the albums alright by the way

nah, not really

i'd say it's different, but not too much so. rza's production has changed drastically, and doesn't really represent the Wu sound to me much more. like somebody said above, he hasn't really made a rza-razor beat since 97 or 98.

Yeah RZAs Style has changed drastically. Some People like it, some don't. But RZA has developed. He is allways coming with something different. No matter we like it or not. He is doing what he likes and thats the way of an artist.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by Threyev View Post
    i'd say it's different, but not too much so. rza's production has changed drastically, and doesn't really represent the Wu sound to me much more. like somebody said above, he hasn't really made a rza-razor beat since 97 or 98.
    I agree that RZA isn't on the same grimy steez he was on during the early years, but your statement is just wrong. Some beats reminiscent of that period just off the top of my head:

Run
    Click Click
    Chamber Music
    Jah World
    4:21 Intro
    The Grindz
    Kunta Fly Shit
    Weak Spot
    Bloody Samurai
    Campfire
    noyzhiphop.bandcamp.com
    twitter.com/noyzhiphop

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

i'd say it was experimental in the sense that there isnt really any hip hop albums with production that sounds like that.

that doesnt mean I like the production on that album.

RZA was trying to incorporate the movie scores orchestral sounds (not ghost dog) that he had been doing around that time, because he thought it would be a good idea. lol. I guess he is the only hip hop producer doing big sounding movie scores so it would make sense he was gonna try to use what he'd learnt and adapt it to his advantage (theoretically).

Sometimes RZA has forward thining ideas that work, like his idea of lowering the sample rate when he was makign 36 chambers, to make it sound cheaper and more grittier than other things at the time, or sampling string sections off of John Wu action films like he did on OB4CL. But then he also has ideas that dont work, like asking Thea to be his singer, or trying to use his new found movie score skills to make a hip hop album.

^^^i don't know, i feel like he didn't go far enough at bringing in those skills, if more of the album sounded big and insane like his tracks from blade trinity or chamber of fear, this album would've been alot more interesting and actually would've been as progressive as some people are struggling to convince themselves.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

I just think he was using elements of it on most of the tracks. The best song on there for me though is the one without any cinema elements, Campfire.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

to me the able was brilliant in my eyes

Eastern village

I really hated the first bobby digital and was dissapointed in 8d album, but bobby digital grew on me and now i love the first album, the aother ones is nice too but not as the first. 9d is a very solid album, but coming from the wu it was a experiment that came out little weak, but got better the more you listen to it, I hope we will get a real clan album soon.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by KravenZx View Post
    Yeah RZAs Style has changed drastically. Some People like it, some don't. But RZA has developed. He is allways coming with something different. No matter we like it or not. He is doing what he likes and thats the way of an artist.
    the M. F U C K I N G TRUTH

Yes, I would say it was somewhat experimental. I also happen to like the album much more than most. Other than Starter, and Take It Back, I like the whole album. Some tracks that most people aint feelin are some of my favorites, like Get Em Out Way Pa. I haven't heard a song I like more than Windmill in years. Weak Spot, Rushing Elephants, Stick Me, Campfire, and Gun Will Go are all fire too, imo.

Veteran Member

imo, get them out the way pa was experimental because of the drums, and sunlight because of the verizon dial-up sounds.

other than that, not too experimental imo. but i wouldn't say that rza hasn't made a heat rock since 97. ghost dog has some extremely dope tracks. and school off masta's album is nice too.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"