• 2: Boring

1 14.29%
  • 1: Wackadoccious

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mos Def - The Ecstatic

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    Quiet Dog is 5/5 and I think you overrated the second half of the album.

I agree

and thats a fucking awesome live performance, he personifies "cool" IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

I expected this to be good, but not this good. Really no tracks that are anything below average to me. The only thing I didn't like was some tracks should've been longer. But great lyrics, and really good production. Top 5 of the year for me.

Top 5: Auditorium, Priority, Life In Marvelous Times, History (fav), Casa Bey

Grade: (4.3/5) A-

Dwight Conroy Farrell ButterCrunchJoints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    For me it was similar to True Magic with a couple of better beats. He still soudns half asleep.

Ive given up hope of him even getting close to what he showed on BOBS after this album. Its hard to ignore his old shit for me, BOBS is one of my all time favorite albums.

Given that, Auditorium is going to be one of the best joints of 2009, but that Georgia Annn Muldrow crap will be one of the worst.
    ecstatic similar to true magic????
    this is easily the tightest shit he's dropped in this decade. there is one weak track on the entire album(twilite speedball), and you honestly just compared it to a record so worthless that it didn't even come with album art, really?
    don't you flip your glasses up at me Kadeem Hardison

glad to see so many positive reviews of the album, i have only got BOBS as i can't download shit of my dial up so i gotta get music legally, and so when people told me his 2nd and 3rd albums wasn't that good i just decided to fuck em off...but i think ima pick this album up soon seeing as though so many of y'all seem to like it

SHAOLIN STUDENT

anyone else still feeling this? i kinda slept on it when it first came out. i mean Auditorium is like fucking crack, but the rest of the album just took time to grow on me..... and i had to hear it's entirety in a car with a good enough system. after doing so, this record definitely has lasting appeal.
    i wouldnt be shocked if it doesnt win a grammy (award shows these days are just as corrupt as radio), but it should.

i was sleeping HARD on this album for the longest, i think i played it through for the first time somewhere in December last year. this shit is on constant rotation by now though, perfect album to put on in my headphones when i just woke up, drinking my cofee and checking the computer before heading out.

on first listen i wasn't feeling it that much, i felt that Mos just tried to do a record as experimental as possible just to be experimental and different but once i got into it i started recognizing that more or less every bar, hook, vocal, beat and sample is perfectly designed. Madlib, Preservation and Oh No does a great job complimenting Mos with their styles of beats and samples and the J Dilla produced "History" with Black Star is one of the strongest cuts of a damn strong album.

Favorite tracks include:
    "Auditorium", "History", "Worker's Comp", "Supermagical"

4.5/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButterCrunchJoints View Post
    ecstatic similar to true magic????
    this is easily the tightest shit he's dropped in this decade. there is one weak track on the entire album(twilite speedball), and you honestly just compared it to a record so worthless that it didn't even come with album art, really?
    Yeah its very similar, but not as good as Tru3 Magic.
    Last edited by Ghost In The 'Lac; 01-28-2010 at 10:31 AM.