• Average

4 2.74%
  • Mediocre

7 4.79%
  • Wack

2 1.37%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: U-God - Dopium

this isnt bad. beats are usually fine, and even the worst ones dont make the songs DOA, but u-god just raps like shit far too often. it's not exaggerating to say he gets shown up by every single guest mc on every single song that has a guest mc on it. he makes jim jones and sheek louch, not exactly G.O.A.T. candidates, sound like a pair of rakims. and the songs where there aren't any guest mcs are just bad (with the notable exception of new classic). his flow is completely embarassing at times. rims pokin out is horrible enough to be on mr. xcitement, and has what most be u-god's literally twenty-somethingst candidate for the title of "worst hip hop hook of all time".

the remixes are so wack it feels wrong to even acknowledge their existence with this sentence. and i, unlike i would imagine most people on this site, do listen to house music

i agree with wade, this isnt an embarassing album like uey's previous two but it's a long long way away from being a great one. it's probably about as good an album as we're ever going to get from dude though (its almost certainly his last anyway)
    Last edited by Literate Type Asshole; 06-18-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Literate Type Asshole View Post
    this isnt bad. beats are usually fine, and even the worst ones dont make the songs DOA, but u-god just raps like shit far too often. it's not exaggerating to say he gets shown up by every single guest mc on every single song that has a guest mc on it. he makes jim jones and sheek louch, not exactly G.O.A.T. candidates, sound like a pair of rakims. and the songs where there aren't any guest mcs are just bad (with the notable exception of new classic). his flow is completely embarassing at times. rims pokin out is horrible enough to be on mr. xcitement, and has what most be u-god's literally twenty-somethingst candidate for the title of "worst hip hop hook of all time".

the remixes are so wack it feels wrong to even acknowledge their existence with this sentence. and i, unlike i would imagine most people on this site, do listen to house music

i agree with wade, this isnt an embarassing album like uey's previous two but it's a long long way away from being a great one. it's probably about as good an album as we're ever going to get from dude though (its almost certainly his last anyway)
    I agree.

Cold Bottles of Becks Tonystarks420's Avatar

yo second day of listening...........

EVEN BETTER

yo even the remixs arent half bad. u gotta think wu tang niggaz been tyen to appeal to other crowds the past couple years

Rza tryen to appeal to rock more with Achozen and live instruments on 8 diagrams
    Ghost tryen to appeal to R n B heads with his pussy shit
    and now Uey appealing to the techno heads.

i give this album a solid 8.5/10

and to me hips and rims poken out are ill tracks. shit is funky

Death Poet

i dig the house remixes. U-god actually sounds alright on a house track. lol. Good fuckin' album overall. I never thought Uey could hold his own album. GAR was ok. The good tracks were banging but the bad ones were fucking horrible. I was so disappointed
    back then I returned it. A few years back I DL'd it and bought it again. True story.

God is Love - this sample was used before, but I'm not sure by who. I'm thinking Roc-a-fella someone like Beannie or Jay-Z. What's that track that Face Mob was on with Jay?

Even that GZA track sounds like another beat I've heard

This is a collection of 10 banging songs.

IF u god wasn't so lazy to do the thing that he is payed for, and by the way enjoys doing it, and did 3 more songs with just him with no features this would be classic.

But u god will never create classic.

This album is the shit, don't get me wrong, i voted for supreme, but i'm pissed cause he could do much better than this.

He has only three solo songs on his album, if he made three more and replaced it with three shity remixes than we would have real album, not just banging songs with dope features.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Magnum force is hot! Say goodbye and ya gone!
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Guardian of the 1st house Hellspawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Literate Type Asshole View Post

Totally co-sign, I couldnt appreciate a single verse by U-god, he raps like an amateur and his lyrics are shit...I even think he's off beat on a few tracks... I can't stand his robotic flow/short lines style.
    That album would be a banger without him.

EDIT : The chorus of hips make me vomit...WTF is that track ? exactely everything I hate about U-god compiled in a single track.

At your sisters house

Naw... That shit is suprisingly hot...

Total Bangers - Train, God is Love,Stomp, Coke. Almost Total Bangers - Magnum, Wu Tang, Dopium. Not bad at all - Lipton, New Classic. Not a bad return. I'm pleased for U-God

FRESH FISH

Not classic now, but will be.

FRESH FISH

fucking bang that shit son!!!!
    "karma hits like justice but without the satisfaction" - HADEZ the human torch

"I don’t live in that world. And it’s not that I don’t live in the present, it’s just that I don’t fuck with that part of the present state of Hip Hop. Dudes started doing this thing for money instead of the love of Hip Hop, and I don’t fuck with them cats." - Kool G. Rap

PRODIGAL SUN UncontrolledSubstans's Avatar

1. Train Trussle 5/5

Nice start for the album, the beat is banging and everyone comes hard and nice.

2. God Is Love 4/5

A good track, dont really feeling the beat and hook tho.

3. Stomp Da Roach 5/5

Really hard and grimy beat and Scotty Wotty and U-God kills it. Gza dont really fit on this beat tho.

4. Lipton 3/5

Nah this track dont works for me, U-God clowning around on a beat with a worthless hook.

5. Coke 4.5/5

Nice beat, rae comes hard.

6. Magnum Force 5/5

This is probably the best track on the album. The beat is banging and Jim Jones steals the show.

7. Hips 2/5

Apart from U-Gods flow, it's wack.

8. Wu-Tang 4/5

Nice beat, U-God and Meth are avarage at best tho.

9. Dopium 3.5/5

U-God are all over the beat and dont really makes any sence at all.

10. Rims Pokin Out 4/5

Typical Cool U-God track.

11. New classic 4/5

Very nice beat by Large Professor, the track is to short tho.

The first to remixes are kind of cool the last one is wack tho.

Good album.

yoyoyo... i expect very good after this reviews....
    i dont load that shit illegal on internet...
    its like christmas... you have to wait till santa comes...
    i listn to it on june 23rd...

but if you still dont know the productioncredits, here we are

1. Train Trussle feat. Ghostface Killah (of Wu-Tang Clan), Scotty Wotty (Produced By: Teddy Ted; J. Serbe)

2. God Is Love feat. Cappadonna, Killah Priest (of Sunz of Man) (Produced By: Teddy Ted; J. Serbe)

3. Stomp Da Roach feat. Gza (of Wu-Tang Clan), Scotty Wotty (Produced By: Teddy Ted; J. Serbe)

4. Lipton feat. Mike Ladd (Produced By: 4th Pyramid)

5. Coke feat. Raekwon (of Wu-Tang Clan), Slaine (of Special Teamz & La Coka Nostra), Y-Not Da Beast (Produced By: Da Beathoven)-

6. Magnum Force feat. Jim Jones, Sheek Louch (of D-Block) (Produced By: Hakim)

7. Hips (Produced By: The Twilite Tone)

8. Wu-Tang feat. Method Man (of Wu-Tang Clan) (Produced By: Andre Clarke)

9. Dopium (Produced By: Teddy Ted; J. Serbe)

10. Rims Pokin Out feat. Lethafase (Produced By: The Twilite Tone)

11. New Classic feat. Large Professor (formerly of Main Source) (Produced By: Large Professor)

12. Stomp Da Roach (Bloody Beetroots Remix) feat. Gza (of Wu-Tang Clan), Scotty Wotty (Bonus) (Produced By: Bloody Beetroots)

13. Dopium (Yuksek Remix) (Bonus) (Produced By: Yuksek)

14. Hips (Felix Cartel Remix) (Bonus) (Produced By: Felix Cartel)

lynskey

8/10 album for me.
    Only track I dislike is that damn Hips song, fucking awful.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

From the heat U-God has usually brought on seminal wu-releases from his verse on “Da Mystery of Chess boxing” to his solo offerings uey has always had the gas to fumigate the game with his own brand. But since dropping the mixtape or album Mr. Excitement to underwhelming reviews you would a counted him out now but bringing back to the slum of shaolin you’ll soon see he hasn’t lost a step, so enter the “Dopium” era of things.
    From the jump after a little Mike Tyson intro to the banged out drums that aren’t forgiving to the ear of the listen on “Train Trussle” to the hard knock graveling sound scapes of “God is Love” to the hard nose boom bap solid hard baseline drums of “Wu-Tang”. The album has that U-God flare that was present and accounted for on his debut and he has seemed to return back to the grimy slightly dim light sound on his debut, “Golden Arms Redemption”. The only stumble the album takes is the three un-needed remixes that just wasn’t necessary at all.

One of the dopest prolly underrated songs on “Dopium” is “Lipton” featuring musical poet Mike Ladd and this song is oft kilter but has that wu esq flavor to it where you can still enjoy it. The song isn’t so experimental as a lot of rappers try and do these days. For the most part this album is a straight hard knock boom bap album in 2009 that this year could get.

Overall this album is a definitely 3 out of 5 it’s a very good album but in this mind of hardcore hip hop fan that is also a wu-fan at heart I’m loving this album but nothing strong sticks out except Uey’s straight up lyricism. And maybe that’s enough for me but I wished it was slight longer in length without the trashy remixes but beggars can’t be choosers can they? I don’t know but this fan as satisfied as they come.

Rating: 3 out of 5
    Last edited by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS; 06-20-2009 at 02:38 PM.