• Mediocre

1 0.79%
  • Wack

4 3.17%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wu - Tang Chamber Music

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I'm glad this isn't a Wu-Tang album.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

i voted average---no replay value, lack of cohesion between the features, rza's chorus fucking up evil deeds...and there's only 25 minutes of actual songs here but 'we've ran through that chamber'

and this doesn't take it back to the old wu sound at all, i wish they would stop even trying to promote shit on that basis, the closest was the w and people shitted on that, when that's probably one of the rawest (and best) albums in the whole wu catalog...anyway....

nyc crack is the shit though, that's the only track i see myself playing in the future

and some of the dickriding in here is hilarious to me, so...if you had a 60 minute album with 25-35 minutes of good tracks, you would rate that album average or subpar right? so why is this shit supposed to be exceptional.

it sounds like a rush job to me, it's just overall one of those things where the tracks sound good on first listen but they lose their luster quickly.

keepers: ill figures, evil deeds (rza's chorus is so lame though), radiant jewels (gunshots are so fucking played out in hiphop songs, shit's embarassing), nyc crack (thea actually sounded alright here, the track had a portishead vibe)

8 diagrams>>>>>>>wu tang meets indie culture>>>chamber music

oh and on the issue of the album length, you guys disappoint me. no one, absolutely no one, said 'Half short and twice strong'. Sad.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 06-27-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
    i voted average---no replay value, lack of cohesion between the features, rza's chorus fucking up evil deeds...and there's only 25 minutes of actual songs here but 'we've ran through that chamber'

and this doesn't take it back to the old wu sound at all, i wish they would stop even trying to promote shit on that basis, the closest was the w and people shitted on that, when that's probably one of the rawest (and best) albums in the whole wu catalog...anyway....
    Agreed.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

wu tang meets indie culture>>>chamber music
    I don't know dude... You continue to launch criticisms at this project because you feel it lacks enough content, but you gave Wu Meets Indie 8.5/10 rating. You do realize that album had only 4 Wu verses out NINETEEN freaking songs, and no Ghost, no Raekwon, no Deck, no Meth, no MK... Why wasn't that a rush job? Shouldn't Think Differently have held the album in the can until all Wu members had come on board?

Would you have given Chamber Music a better rating if they didn't do the interludes with RZA and instead filled the album up with a bunch songs by minor league rappers with NO actual Clan members on them?

The reality here is that you think that the label's marketing has been deceptive and doesn't match the final product and that's effecting your judgement of the musical content. I think if you had never seen that koch flyer (which I agree is totally misrepresentative), your opinion on this CD might have been a lot less critical.

One more thing, do you think gunshots in gangsta movies are played out too? I mean c'mon, the song is on some gangsta shit...

the beat actually stops for the gunshot sound effects, it fucks up the flow of the song, we're talking about songs not movies...you can't deny that's overdone.

wu tang meets indie culture at least had fully formed songs, some of which had actual concepts to them, the album had much more cohesion imo; yes it was lacking in wu-tang mcs, but it also had affiliated artists on there as well. it wasn't without flaws, but for me it was definitely a more complete album.

and yes, while i feel their advertising was deceptive, that doesn't change the fact that we have 8 short songs here with 9 interludes/intros/filler, which even if i came to this with no preconceptions would piss me off. the album is lacking substance imo, alot of the people rating it so highly won't have any use for it in 2-3 weeks I guarantee it.

Wobbling Totem Poles

Album is ok.

Well too short.

4 or 5 dope tracks.

overall its average.

Its good to hear the other side of the pond in terms of love or hate. Vay, you are in the minority. I know you know that, thats why you write paragraphs in response of the album, trying to get the masses to agree with you. Problem is, you are in the minority. I respect your opinion, but realize, you are in the minority.

^^^what's your point? that i should conform to the popular opinion? i write paragraphs because i'm actually capable of explaining my opinion, which is an underrated trait. you wrote 'you are in the minority' 3 times like that means anything.

^^^what's your point? that i should conform to the popular opinion? i write paragraphs because i'm actually capable of explaining my opinion, which is an underrated trait. you wrote 'you are in the minority' 3 times like that means anything.
    no its ok to go against the grain, i do all the time. im a going against the grain poster boy. but its like you are on a mission to shit on this CD i dont get it. the reason for me saying "youre in the minority" multiple times is because you feel the need to rehash your opinion on every single chamber music thread like you are going to convert the masses. its almost like a vendetta. i wouldnt normally waste my time with people like you, but its to that point.

^^^um, this is the review thread...i gave my review lol i swear people get personally offended when you're critical of something they enjoy. oh and that 'you're in the minority' bullshit...that may be...on this forum...where alot of people love anything wu without reservation or hesistation. if you go to other forums alot of people have the same complaints that i do. also, you don't even have 30 posts yet and i bet 1/2 of them are responding to me lol i normally wouldn't waste my time responding to someone like you, but it's like you have a vendetta against me lol
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 06-28-2009 at 04:19 PM.

i ain't no fucking dickrider, but chamber music is easily a 4/5... same as 8 Diagrams, the only really mediocre group LP they done was "Iron Flag", but the majority of solo releases since "Supreme Clientele" has been average. "No Said Date" that gets so much praise is 7.5/10 for me, "Dopium" is probably a 7 then - gotta listen to that more though and through speakers (same with CM) and BO2 is 7.5/10 (yes, i said it - same as No Said Date).

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

just copped the album...

gonna give it a good listen here @ work.

so far im loving the Shaw Brothers intro. surprised no one has mentioned that

smh @ RZA sneaking Thea on NYC CRACK.

Goin' Ricky Retardo Unicron the Agitator's Avatar

I won't bitch about the length of the album but will focus on the actual songs. There are 8 solid, if not outstanding tracks on this album and in this day and age of pre-packaged, fast food hip-hop to get 8 good songs on an album is an accomplishment. I thought there was cohesion with the RZA's intros blending almost seamlessly into the actual songs. The production is great, and the Revolutions do a fantastic job playing the samples, especially on "I Wish You Were Here." I will give it a 4/5 because I have listened to it about three times and I only bought it about an hour ago.

"Yeah I hit dat, but I ain't seed it up..."

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    i ain't no fucking dickrider, but chamber music is easily a 4/5... same as 8 Diagrams, the only really mediocre group LP they done was "Iron Flag", but the majority of solo releases since "Supreme Clientele" has been average. "No Said Date" that gets so much praise is 7.5/10 for me, "Dopium" is probably a 7 then - gotta listen to that more though and through speakers (same with CM) and BO2 is 7.5/10 (yes, i said it - same as No Said Date).
    Sorry but I'm gonna keep sayin it...Iron flag was a better album than the W and 8d...that being said I'm gonna cop this chamber music album after work, light one up and crack a ballantine. i'll review later.