7 5.56%
  • Mediocre

1 0.79%
  • Wack

4 3.17%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wu - Tang Chamber Music

Veteran Member

My only real problem is that the 2 weakest beats in my opinion - Harbo[u]r Masters and Ill Figures - are on the longest songs.

I'll rate it within a week, it needs a few more listens before judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by -The A to the Z- View Post
    My only real problem is that the 2 weakest beats in my opinion - Harbo[u]r Masters and Ill Figures - are on the longest songs.

I'll rate it within a week, it needs a few more listens before judgement.
    u listening to Ill Figures with a subwoofer?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/review...-chamber-music

Since 2000’s The W, the Wu-Tang Clan has descended from the fiercest emcee collective in history, to a group using its brand above skills to move albums from shelves. Whereas Iron Flag [click to read] took a dark, radio-defying turn, 8 Diagrams [click to read] lacked the sincerity and quality expected from a six year hiatus. Perhaps the biggest surprise yet at 2009’s halfway point, Wu-Tang Chamber Music comes not as true group effort (Masta Killa, GZA and Method Man have no involvement), but a RZA-helmed project with influential ‘80s and ‘90s emcees on the side, that is easily the best collective offering in nine or more years.

“Ill Figures” [click to listen] is an outstanding example of ‘90s New York lyricism. Paired with Kool G Rap [click to read], one can hear side-by-side a primary source in Raekwon’s [click to read] knack for cadence and slang. M.O.P. separates the mellow wordplay with anger and angst, as to be expected from Brownsville’s finest. “Kill Too Hard” is as upbeat as Wu ever gets, with Inspectah Deck [click to read] tearing through the live percussion with his superb timing and syncopated delivery that made the first and second renditions of “Protect Ya Neck” so lively. U-God [click to read] comes close behind, arguably having a career year, as demonstrated in his just-released Dopium effort [click to read], also boasting throwback deliveries. Another Juice Crew alum, this time Masta Ace [click to read] appears on the track, benefiting from the rugged company, and sounding more threatening than he has since he ripped High & Mighty a new one in 2001 on “Acknowledge.” These guest appearances break the inner circle traditionally impermeable on Wu releases, and from Sadat X [click to read] to AZ [click to read] to Havoc [click to read], all guests seemed to bring this project brutal reminders that the ‘90s rhyme-ethic never left.

Beyond simply cool collaborations, it is a lot of personal attention that separated this work apart from Think Differently, Ghost Dog soundtrack, or other honest, but ultimately lukewarm Wu-Tang Music Group releases. Eerie interludes, crafted by the RZA with vocal samples and monologue mortar the songs nicely. These jewels help make this compilation feel like an album, and build towards the songs, a formula employed on the epic classic Enter The 36 Chambers 15 years ago. RZA also dusted off the rhyme book, and graces “NYC Crack” with a nostalgic entrance, and the kind of uncensored verse that returns the "Abbot" to New York subject matter, back from Hollywood hiatus.

The primary upgrade on this project versus 8 Diagrams or Iron Flag is production. Although he shares duties with RZA, Fizzy Womack – better known as M.O.P.’s Lil Fame deserves huge recognition for his co-production on seven of the album’s finest records. Repeatedly joined by Andrew Kelley, Noah Rubin and longtime Koch record exec Bob Perry, it’s truly unclear who is doing what. Still, the percussion elements are very much in the vein of the same sample kits RZA was employing on the early ‘90s archetypal Wu material. Additionally, The Revelations, a ‘70s-sounding Funk outfit give the brass and keys necessary to save on sample budgets altogether. A bit cleaner than RZA, the sound is most comparable to 1993’s “Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber, Pt. 2.” Whether First Family, Revelations, or RZA on the track, this is a consistent Wu-Tang sound, belonging to one unit of producers – something that often felt lost in the a la carte duties of True Master and Mathematics in the last decade.

Wu-Tang Chamber Music is a lot deeper than a low-budget olive branch between the Brothers Wu and their onetime peers. Instead, this may indeed be the group’s life-blood, and formula to appease the loyal fans searching for both evolution and integrity. The Wu has never sounded so connected to their roots in Hip Hop and roots within themselves, for one of the sweetest surprises of this year.

http://vinylmeltdown.com/2009/06/wu-...chamber-music/

Garnering much speculation when it was first announced, Chamber Music made heads everywhere wonder if Wu-tang was releasing another full length album so soon after their substandard 2007 drop, 8 Diagrams. Others speculated that Chamber Music would merely be a collection of b-sides and recycled verses. Where the album actually falls is somewhere in between these two conjectures. Not quite a studio album, not quite a mixtape, Chamber Music is a compilation album masterminded by RZA which features a good spread of Wu-Tang MCs alongside renown hip hop artists over beats formulated by soul band The Revelations in conjunction with the RZA himself.

If a tracklist 17 songs deep seems incongruous alongside a 35-minute runtime, it isn’t a mistake. Unfortunately, literally every other song on the album is an interlude, each of which features either RZA briefly waxing philosophical over some Revelations jamming, a classic Wu-style dubbed kung fu movie sample, or a combination of both; in other words, nine tracks worth of useless filler. Now this amount of filler would barely be acceptable on a full-length, 70-minute + joint, so putting nine interlude tracks on a 35-minute compilation album is simply embarrassing, straight up. The lack of actual songs on Chamber Music attests to the presumably rushed nature of the album, and the omission of fan favorites GZA and Method Man cements it.
    On the plus side, RZA and the crew were still able to do a lot of things right with this album. For one, it features a long list of respected rap veterans: Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, Cormega, Havoc (from Mobb Deep), M.O.P., AZ, Sadat X, and Sean Price. Each of these artists are excellent picks and sound at home alongside Wu-Tang members Raekwon, Ghostface, Inspectah Deck, U-God, and RZA. Having a superior guest list doesn’t necessarily equate to a superior album, but on Chamber Music the guests don’t disappoint and we’re given only solid verses all the way through the eight actual rap songs. Sonically, the Revelations offer an excellent emulation of the original Wu sound while still effectively capturing that “live band” element that RZA was going for with this release.
    All things considered, Chamber Music offers some of the best Wu-Tang music we’ve heard in a while and if it’s any indication of what their next project will sound like, Wu heads will not be disappointed in the coming future.

http://mog.com/blog_posts/1372515/mogbar
    RZA, the executive producer of this album, has made it clear that Chamber Music isn't a Wu Tang Clan album, as it doesn't feature all of the members of the clan. Instead the album's sound is clearly "inspired" by Wu's early sound trademarked in Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers, without using samples in the production. All of the beats are live music beds by a band called The Revelations.

The fact that no samples are used changes the overall presentation of the sound. Die-hard Wu Tang fans might be surprised by how clean this album sounds. That gritty 36 Chambers style isn't apparent in Chamber Music, no matter how hard they may try to reclaim it.

Not to say that a live band didn't provide an interesting alternative angle to the Wu Tang sound, it did. Headbangers like "Sound The Horns" couldn't have been accomplished in the level that they were without The Revelations.

That gulliness though, has always been a staple of Wu Tang Clan that I really enjoyed. And although the emcees stay as hard as ever, the real instruments take away from that feeling you get when listening to Wu's earlier work.

Either way, with original clan members like Ghostface, Inspectah Deck, RZA, U-God, and Raekwon contributing verses as well as artists like AZ, Masta Ace, Havoc, Kool G Rap, duo M.O.P., and more making guest appearances, you know the rhymes are going to be up to a high standard.

One thing I was a bit disappointed by is the fact that over half (9) of the 17 tracks on the album are under 1:30 minutes. Most of those tracks are just RZA going on about buddhas or kung fu flicks, others are just short instrumentals.

So with literally every other track being a skit or instrumental, that leaves us with only 8 solid songs. But even with those 8 being quality tracks, worth at least a couple listens, they can't do much in saving the overall playback value of the album.

At the least I would cop a couple of tracks from Chamber Music just to hold you over until the real Wu album comes, but it isn't worth the full $17.99 that iTunes will undoubtedly charge for the whole thing.

Cop it off Amazon for $9.99.

Best Tracks:
    "Ill Figures", "Evil Deeds", "Sound The Horns"

Grade: C+

Quote Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
    http://vinylmeltdown.com/2009/06/wu-...chamber-music/

Garnering much speculation when it was first announced, Chamber Music made heads everywhere wonder if Wu-tang was releasing another full length album so soon after their substandard 2007 drop, 8 Diagrams. Others speculated that Chamber Music would merely be a collection of b-sides and recycled verses. Where the album actually falls is somewhere in between these two conjectures. Not quite a studio album, not quite a mixtape, Chamber Music is a compilation album masterminded by RZA which features a good spread of Wu-Tang MCs alongside renown hip hop artists over beats formulated by soul band The Revelations in conjunction with the RZA himself.

If a tracklist 17 songs deep seems incongruous alongside a 35-minute runtime, it isn’t a mistake. Unfortunately, literally every other song on the album is an interlude, each of which features either RZA briefly waxing philosophical over some Revelations jamming, a classic Wu-style dubbed kung fu movie sample, or a combination of both; in other words, nine tracks worth of useless filler. Now this amount of filler would barely be acceptable on a full-length, 70-minute + joint, so putting nine interlude tracks on a 35-minute compilation album is simply embarrassing, straight up. The lack of actual songs on Chamber Music attests to the presumably rushed nature of the album, and the omission of fan favorites GZA and Method Man cements it.
    On the plus side, RZA and the crew were still able to do a lot of things right with this album. For one, it features a long list of respected rap veterans: Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, Cormega, Havoc (from Mobb Deep), M.O.P., AZ, Sadat X, and Sean Price. Each of these artists are excellent picks and sound at home alongside Wu-Tang members Raekwon, Ghostface, Inspectah Deck, U-God, and RZA. Having a superior guest list doesn’t necessarily equate to a superior album, but on Chamber Music the guests don’t disappoint and we’re given only solid verses all the way through the eight actual rap songs. Sonically, the Revelations offer an excellent emulation of the original Wu sound while still effectively capturing that “live band” element that RZA was going for with this release.
    All things considered, Chamber Music offers some of the best Wu-Tang music we’ve heard in a while and if it’s any indication of what their next project will sound like, Wu heads will not be disappointed in the coming future.

http://mog.com/blog_posts/1372515/mogbar
    RZA, the executive producer of this album, has made it clear that Chamber Music isn't a Wu Tang Clan album, as it doesn't feature all of the members of the clan. Instead the album's sound is clearly "inspired" by Wu's early sound trademarked in Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers, without using samples in the production. All of the beats are live music beds by a band called The Revelations.

The fact that no samples are used changes the overall presentation of the sound. Die-hard Wu Tang fans might be surprised by how clean this album sounds. That gritty 36 Chambers style isn't apparent in Chamber Music, no matter how hard they may try to reclaim it.

Not to say that a live band didn't provide an interesting alternative angle to the Wu Tang sound, it did. Headbangers like "Sound The Horns" couldn't have been accomplished in the level that they were without The Revelations.

That gulliness though, has always been a staple of Wu Tang Clan that I really enjoyed. And although the emcees stay as hard as ever, the real instruments take away from that feeling you get when listening to Wu's earlier work.

Either way, with original clan members like Ghostface, Inspectah Deck, RZA, U-God, and Raekwon contributing verses as well as artists like AZ, Masta Ace, Havoc, Kool G Rap, duo M.O.P., and more making guest appearances, you know the rhymes are going to be up to a high standard.

One thing I was a bit disappointed by is the fact that over half (9) of the 17 tracks on the album are under 1:30 minutes. Most of those tracks are just RZA going on about buddhas or kung fu flicks, others are just short instrumentals.

So with literally every other track being a skit or instrumental, that leaves us with only 8 solid songs. But even with those 8 being quality tracks, worth at least a couple listens, they can't do much in saving the overall playback value of the album.

At the least I would cop a couple of tracks from Chamber Music just to hold you over until the real Wu album comes, but it isn't worth the full $17.99 that iTunes will undoubtedly charge for the whole thing.

Cop it off Amazon for $9.99.

Best Tracks:
    "Ill Figures", "Evil Deeds", "Sound The Horns"

Grade: C+
    nice

Veteran Member

Lovely to see HipHopDX giving high rating - they're pretty stingy with their Xs.

Mog review don't mean shit (I say this of course as a Wu Tang dickrider, what they say is pretty valid - 'cept that the album is pretty bloody close to the 'gritty 36 Chamber style'.)

if length and interludes is the only complaint about a cd, than thats a good thing. There isnt 1 subpar song on the album(in my opinion), let alone whack.

Wu Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Stringer View Post
    Please buy the album! Come on, buy it already!
    I thought you were gonna fuck off already?

Quote Originally Posted by benzo View Post
    I thought you were gonna fuck off already?

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Damn, I just saw a commercial for this on MTV2, I didn't know this was out already, I will cop tonight...
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Just got mine. I ve yet to hear anything from it, but i am going by word of mouf.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I just threw it on, I'm on track 8, and I'm feeling this shit, RZa isn't using his wack flow either...
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Universo View Post
    Sorry but I'm gonna keep sayin it...Iron flag was a better album than the W and 8d...that being said I'm gonna cop this chamber music album after work, light one up and crack a ballantine. i'll review later.

Iron flag was my besy WU-Album after the classics. chamber music is nice.
    Yo!

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

aside from the ridiculousness of the skits, I'm loving this album (or i'll just call it a cd)..

"you gonna lead em to some grazing green grass..." lol