Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just to be clear on something reggaeton is NOT hip-hop

85 %ER

Default Just to be clear on something reggaeton is NOT hip-hop

It's a whole other genre that's blatantly bitten off many elements of hip-hop culture and music, more focused towards the dancing aspect of music instead of lyricism.

There is actual and true to the essence spanish hip-hop but reggaeton is not that at all.

If RZA thinks otherwise I'm afraid he's terribly confused, I don't know much aboot this whole Wu-latino venture and what is focusing on but I know for sure that reggaeton is nothing about what Wu-Tang Clan is and has always been.

And I'm latino, I should know.
    "You asked for it, shot up the jams like syringes
    My technique alone blows doors straight off the hinges"

Ghostface Killah - Winter Warz

Veteran Member

reggaeton isnt hip hop

LOL

NICE ONE

U KNOW SO MUCH

Quote Originally Posted by Ciro View Post
    It's a whole other genre that's blatantly bitten off many elements of hip-hop culture and music, more focused towards the dancing aspect of music instead of lyricism.

There is actual and true to the essence spanish hip-hop but reggaeton is not that at all.

If RZA thinks otherwise I'm afraid he's terribly confused, I don't know much aboot this whole Wu-latino venture and what is focusing on but I know for sure that reggaeton is nothing about what Wu-Tang Clan is and has always been.

And I'm latino, I should know.
    Reggaeton is a sub-genre as Hip Hop, just as Gangster Rap, Crunk, Miami Bass, or any sub-genre of the culture. Reggaeton started off as "underground", and was known by it's proponents as "el genero de reggae y rap" which means "the genre of rap and reggae". Though the music is now highly commercialized, and you can hardly call it's most popular artists as "MC's", the same can be said for American Hip Hop.

FRESH FISH

Reggaeton is not hip hop. Reggaeton comes from early dance hall, specially the dembow beat that was really popular in the early 90s. What Puerto Rican reggaeton artists where doing was using the same beats and rhytms from jamaican dance hall and singing the songs in spanish.

So... REGGAETON IS NOT HIP HOP!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
    Reggaeton is not hip hop. Reggaeton comes from early dance hall, specially the dembow beat that was really popular in the early 90s. What Puerto Rican reggaeton artists where doing was using the same beats and rhytms from jamaican dance hall and singing the songs in spanish.

So... REGGAETON IS NOT HIP HOP!
    -Your argument is a logical fallacy. You are drawing the conclusion that because Reggaeton has it's roots in Dancehall, it is somehow not hip hop. For the education of the truly retarded, hip hop itself has the similar roots as Dancehall having originated with Jamaican DJ's in NY, most fresh off the boat. The Jamaican presence in Hip Hop is evident from the start, and Dancehall is considered a sub-genre of both Reggae and Hip Hop just as Reggaeton is.

Your example of the "dem bow" riddim is misleading. In the 90's most tracks were mixed with different industry beats, and out of the most available there were favorites. Dem bow became the most favorite among Dancehall beats, and Craig Mac's "Flavor in Your Ear" was among the favorite Hip Hop beats. These riddims/beats were switched back and forth, and the earlier mixes (Playero 37 and The Noise, for example) were extended mixes of various artists RAPPING over a few different beats. The first true Reggaeton producer was Nico Canada, who worked with Playero on Playero 38. Nico brought to the mainstream in Puerto Rico and, later, New York a talented DJ named Tony Touch whom Nico mentored in the art of audio engineering and production. Together they put together the first compilation of Reggaeton artists with American rappers on Boricua Guerrero which featured Busta Rhymes, Nas, Lost Boys, Q-Tip, Fat Joe and Big Pun, among others.

The "underground" scene started in clubs like The Noise, Rappers, Laser, and others, and another testament to the culture was the b-boys that also frequented these clubs that were often decorated with graffiti... if you weren't there your basically just talkin out of your ass... let's just put it that way. I know you are not used to hearing quality Reggaeton on the radio, and not being part of the core audience you wouldn't really have access to the quality music, rather what's been commercialized. If you judge any genre by it's commercial appeal, those who end up on top are always pop.

FRESH FISH

Maybe old reggaeton had more to do with hip hop because some of the time they used rap beats and even some cds had some balance. But now that shit changed. All that shit you talk abou, i had all thos cds. I had all the player cds, all the the noise tapes, dj eric industry, i had all that shit. I had the first boricua guerrero E.P and the double album. I know all about that shit, i lived that shit. Those times where ok. Now reggaeton has noting to do with hip hop, they abandoned it, they don't care about hip hop so why do they want to say that it is hip hop, or parto of hip hop. Being hip hop means that you have to RAP, 99% of reggaeton artists just sing like faggots.

So tell me who are those good artists that make quality reggaeton??

Crazy Optician.

Its like saying Electro music has nothing to do with Hip Hop...... but then where would Hip Hop be without the likes of Davy DMX and Kurtis Blow!?

Reggaeton is not hip hop.

hip hop or not its wack as fucking crack. The whole shit suck monkey nuts
    "Borough hopping, copping bricks, bags, burners and kicks City slickers, circling the strip, working them tricks"
    -Rebel INS the GREAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
    Maybe old reggaeton had more to do with hip hop because some of the time they used rap beats and even some cds had some balance. But now that shit changed. All that shit you talk abou, i had all thos cds. I had all the player cds, all the the noise tapes, dj eric industry, i had all that shit. I had the first boricua guerrero E.P and the double album. I know all about that shit, i lived that shit. Those times where ok. Now reggaeton has noting to do with hip hop, they abandoned it, they don't care about hip hop so why do they want to say that it is hip hop, or parto of hip hop. Being hip hop means that you have to RAP, 99% of reggaeton artists just sing like faggots.

So tell me who are those good artists that make quality reggaeton??
    First of all, only about 10% of Reggaeton artists sing, and they don't have much respect within the genre. The only reason they are popular is because they cater to little girls in foreign countries that buy more CD's than young men 18-35 who know how to download shit for free. The main cancers in the genre are Wisin y Yandel, Rakim y Ken Y, Don Omar, Arcangel, De La Ghetto, and every producer that laces Bachata tracks with Dem Bow and calls it Reggaeton (mainly punks like Lun y Tunes and Boy Wonder).

As for good reggaeton artists, I guarantee most of these will shut you up:

Nejo y Dalmata
    Nengo Flow
    Cosculluela
    Yaga y Mackie
    Nano D Greatest
    Chyno Nyno
    Tempo
    Maicol y Manuel (no longer together, but their solo projects- Manuel's are probably better)
    Plan B
    Delirious
    Guelo Star
    And plenty of others... (these are just artists who's music is commercially available and not counting underground and/or unsigned artists)

I'm sure you'd like at least half of these, and listening to their music will re-train your standards for what is "reggaeton". The previously mentioned artists (Don Omar, etc.) are the commercial face of Reggaeton, but are the worst representatives of the music in that only about 25% of what they do can actually be considered Reggaeton. If you can't listen to the music in jail without getting your ass kicked, it's not Reggaeton!

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Reggaeton is not hip hop.
    -With all do respect, some things are just not intelligently debatable. In reality, if you want to get technically educated, Hip Hop is a culture not a genre of music. Rap is the type of music that best represents the Hip Hop culture, but there are many aspects of R&B, Rock, Reggae, and others that also represent the culture. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the admixture of the previously mentioned genres, the culture of Hip Hop itself would never have been bourne.

It is also important to recognize the Latin influence in Hip Hop from the beginning. Some of the most famous B-boys and graffiti artists (the most public faces of Hip Hop in the early 80's before Rap videos were played on MTV) have been Latino. In fact, THE MOST FAMOUS B-BOY- Crazy Legs, is Puerto Rican (Richard Colon). The "Father of Hip Hop", Kool Herc, is from Kingston, Jamaica. One of the earliest hip hop crews- the Cold Crush Brothers- was co-founded by Puerto Rican DJ Charlie Chase (Carlos Mendes). This was after the FIRST Latino in Hip Hop- Luis Cedeno aka DJ Disco Wiz formed Mighty Force Crew with Grandmaster Caz.

I had to point out the Latino involvement in Hip Hop because there are some severely uneducated people making judgments on music, when music is an artform. To be an art critic, it requires at least a little bit of education for your opinion to be valued.

With that said, Reggaeton sprung directly from the Hip Hop culture. In the early 80's, artists like Lisa M, Vico C, Ruben DJ, and others (I'm sayin by 1987 they all had releases) recorded the first Spanish language Rap tracks in Puerto Rico. DJ's like Playero, DJ Negro, DJ Nelson, and others began mixing these tracks with American Hip Hop tracks, as well as Jamaican dancehall. These shows became very popular in Puerto Rico, and soon, the younger artists began freestyling to Rap instrumentals. In Puerto Rico, you are not considered a rapper if you can't stay with the beat when the DJ switches up. We had to be able to start off a rap to a rap instrumental, and finish it off to a dancehall instrumental. This pleased everybody present, as there were b-boys who could dance to the rap instrumentals, and there were girls who would grind to the dancehall instrumentals. This mixing of the genres, as well as the melding of Hip Hop culture with aspects of the Rudeboy culture from Jamaica (to which Puerto Ricans in the early 90's were very exposed to due to the popularity of both dancehall and Roots Reggae, as well as the emigration of West Indians, Haitians, and Jamaicans to the island) gave birth to the Cacoteo culture. A caco is, basically, a rapper with carribean influences (that's just a simple definition, but it's much deeper than that).

In reality, there is no argument in favor of the "reggaeton is not hip hop" angle. You can debate it from an angry fanatic's point of view, but not from an educated music critic's point of view, and not from a musician's or artist's point of view. There just is no rational argument to separating Reggaeton as a musical genre, and the accompanying Cacoteo culture from that of Hip Hop (as a music and as a culture).

Quote Originally Posted by WuLatino- MANGANI View Post
    First of all, only about 10% of Reggaeton artists sing, and they don't have much respect within the genre. The only reason they are popular is because they cater to little girls in foreign countries that buy more CD's than young men 18-35 who know how to download shit for free. The main cancers in the genre are Wisin y Yandel, Rakim y Ken Y, Don Omar, Arcangel, De La Ghetto, and every producer that laces Bachata tracks with Dem Bow and calls it Reggaeton (mainly punks like Lun y Tunes and Boy Wonder).

As for good reggaeton artists, I guarantee most of these will shut you up:

Nejo y Dalmata
    Nengo Flow
    Cosculluela
    Yaga y Mackie
    Nano D Greatest
    Chyno Nyno
    Tempo
    Maicol y Manuel (no longer together, but their solo projects- Manuel's are probably better)
    Plan B
    Delirious
    Guelo Star
    And plenty of others... (these are just artists who's music is commercially available and not counting underground and/or unsigned artists)

I'm sure you'd like at least half of these, and listening to their music will re-train your standards for what is "reggaeton". The previously mentioned artists (Don Omar, etc.) are the commercial face of Reggaeton, but are the worst representatives of the music in that only about 25% of what they do can actually be considered Reggaeton. If you can't listen to the music in jail without getting your ass kicked, it's not Reggaeton!

kid most of those cats u listed aren't even remotely hip hop , but its not worth arguing over anyways

So to sum it up, Reggaeton is derived this way:

The Hip Hop culture associates itself with the genre of music called rap.
    The rap genre, being popularized in America, influenced various foreign cultures in their form of rapping.
    Puerto Rican's began rapping over a (lets face it) "cheap" variation of Reggae music.

-Reggae music derives from Jamaica, developed in the 1960s.

-Puerto Rican's, anymore, have a European decent from the source of Spain making them "spanish or latin"

-Rap music is based upon the concept of expressing one's views through spoken word (originally) over dancehall then over looped rock or disco beats by the African American community.

So to flesh this out--
    A certain group of Spanish/Latin people create their song by using an African American method of rhythmic spoken delivery for their lyrics while using a variant of Jamaican music calling this mixture "Reggaeton" and this is... Hip-Hop?

You stated Hip-Hop derived from dancehall/reggae via Jamaican DJ's migrating to America.
    So technically [BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION], Hip-Hop is a culture that associates itself with Rap music which is an evolution of Reggae AFTER Jamaicans brought their music over here to America.
    respectfully, the same evolution occurred in Puerto Rico thus spawning Reggeton.

Hip Hop does not house Reggae that which holds a sub-genre of Reggaeton thus giving those artists the right to, through 6 degrees of separation, call their music Hip Hop.

Reggae is the mother, giving birth to 2 child-genres.
    Reggaeton is the less evolved mommas boy that wants to copy cat it's older brother.
    That doesn't make them the same person because they have the same DNA.

a small explination:
    mommas boy =
    it's easy as shit to spot the Latin and Jamaican roots in Reggaeton.
    that cannot be said for Hip-Hop/Rap music in America.

older brother=
    Puerto Rico saw what America was doin and created their own building from the same bricks we were given.

Cacoteo culture came out of Reggaeton.
    Hip-Hop culture came out of (hip-hop) Rap music (since we don't have a fancy title)
    born from Reggae

Just as
    Hardcore culture is Rock.
    Hillbilly culture is Country.
    both bred from Folk Music in one way or another.

these cultures are formed from people of similar interest and lifestyles telling their stories their way.

they don't step on each others toes but recognize they do have similar back grounds.
    Last edited by Poetic Wun; 11-08-2009 at 05:26 AM.