6 4.65%
  • mediocre

1 0.78%
  • wack

2 1.55%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Killah Priest - Heavy Mental

Swordsman

-Not the best Wu album: Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Ironman, and 36 Chambers are much better. As for Tical and Forever...it's debatable.

-Not the best Wu-Affiliate album either. I'd put 2nd place after Gravediggaz's "The Pick, the Sickle, and the Shovel".

Still a dope album nonetheless. 8.8/10. Classic Material

The End Justifies The Means

Classic...10/10

I give this album 10 out of 10.
    And it's honestly debatable that "The Offering" is better then this.
    Break fast is served

Quote Originally Posted by V4D3R View Post
    I give this album 10 out of 10.
    And it's honestly debatable that "The Offering" is better then this.

i hope to see this kind of debates
    offering is too great to be unnoticeable

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    It is a Wu classic for sure tho
    fair enough if you think so, but i think just because wu fans like it doesn't make it a classic album...

without trying to go off topic... the only bonafied classic wu albums are 36 chambers and cuban linx... the only others that are even remotely close to this status are liquid swords and supreme clientele...

i know people will have a wu list of about 50 albums including forever and ironman, etc but the harsh reality is they aren't classics... for instance forever sold thousands and thousands of copies on the back of the success of 36 chambers, NOT JUST on the quality of the album itself... note how their sales dropped after this album... forever was the beginning of the end of their sales... it had big plans, but didn't have the impact commercially or socially of a genuine classic...

heavy mental falls into this category... a very good, even great conceptual album... one of the best under the wu logo... but far from classic...

wuswordz95

a classic album is an album that never gets old for me. ala heavy mental,

Quote Originally Posted by the insignificant View Post
    fair enough if you think so, but i think just because wu fans like it doesn't make it a classic album...

without trying to go off topic... the only bonafied classic wu albums are 36 chambers and cuban linx... the only others that are even remotely close to this status are liquid swords and supreme clientele...

i know people will have a wu list of about 50 albums including forever and ironman, etc but the harsh reality is they aren't classics... for instance forever sold thousands and thousands of copies on the back of the success of 36 chambers, NOT JUST on the quality of the album itself... note how their sales dropped after this album... forever was the beginning of the end of their sales... it had big plans, but didn't have the impact commercially or socially of a genuine classic...

heavy mental falls into this category... a very good, even great conceptual album... one of the best under the wu logo... but far from classic...

Ya man i agree with what your saying. As far as hip-hop albums go its def not a classic, i was just talkin bout as far as Wu albums go, and if you compare this to other Killa Beez albums.

I agree the only certified classics are 36 chambers, Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords. The thing that annoys me is people here claimin No Said Date is an all time classic!! Da fuck?!?! Thats good at best and forgettable. Heavy Mental wipes the floor with No Siad Date

I really like this album but the two tracks with Shangai the Messenger I could never really get into.

Sleepyheaded Nonsense Dr Sleepwalker's Avatar

It's a classic album.... ..... ..

..... ... .... just the way it is

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

the thing i like about this album, it seemed to have a real focus... it was held down by a nice theme, but didn't have too much repitition... you can't say that about any albums anymore...

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

I was close to voting for a banger but then I thought about "From Then Till Now" and had to change my vote. This shit is classic. Has another Wu Affiliate released an album even close to the caliber of this shit?? Doubt it.

Classic.. 9.5/10

I like Priest,but I feel that the production could have been a little better and I do like 4th cause he's a good producer. As far as Priest lyrics go...He's probably the deepest out of all of them (Wu-Tang, Killarmy, Sunz of Man) hell, out of all of them brothas, he probably would whip all of their asses in a Bible contest. This is also probably the reason why this CD didn't sell that good, cause he's too good and too deep. These blind, deaf, and dumb people would not understand what he was talking about and it scared them away, although when I listened to him, I thought the shit was dope. Next time Priest, just bring it down a little cause these dummies can't understand you. Other than that, lyrically, I give him a 10!

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Pshhh.. I had this album for a while..I'll rate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    01 : Intro

02 : One Step ft. Tekitha & Hell Razah

Nice start to open up a good album. Priest is dropping knowledge, what we all need to hear but this is only a preview of whats to come, the beat is nice and calm, no complaints. 4.5/5

03 : Blessed Are Those
    To tell you the truth i never really felt this track at all. The beat is boring to me, lyrics are on point though, just not really interested in this track right here though. 3/5

04 : From Then Till Now
    Ok, now the album is back on track, Priest goes right in as soon as the beat drops, starts it off real crazy "
    Guns, shootouts and crack sales,Black males who pack jails, trapped in hell,No peace, cold streets, surrounded by po-lice,this whole week, buildings with no heats,No lights, the gas pipes the snow leaks,Dog fights and lowlife throw dice the whole night,Thieves, creepinin the midnight evenings, saw through the misty regions" Priest speaks truth on here, shit gets crazy on this album, beat is mad nice too. 4.5/5

05 : Cross My Heart ft. Inspectah Deck & GZA
    This is a crazy joint too. The beat is mad nice and then Priest goes in wild "I roll with thristy niggaz, thieves and killaz, tigers gorillaz, faces like godzilla, who stomp rappers that smile like a card dealer" . Inspectah Deck follows up with one his classic guest apperance "Ghetto resident, quick to past tense ya present" and Gza is the icing on the cake with his opening bars "High ranked officials and armed tanks with missles blood drizzle, simple fact, you slept on the issue, that before you started jerkin off joysticks and Sega, I was rocking off 100 watt amps in Cerwin-Vega's" that shit was ill... this is some classic material. 5/5

06 : Fake MC's
    I'm feeling this more as I hear it, He's kind just talking but rapping at the same time, he just exposing fake mc's on this track. My favorite line is "And y'all can be off to see the wizard,The wonderful Wizard of Oz, which are the A&R's And you and Toto, doin promos, along with the Scarecrow,You will see no dough" lol... 4.5/5

07 : It's Over
    I'm feeling this beat right here and how he tries to flow on it, his flow is kind of off but I still like how this track turned out. I love how he ends the track also "Ya career is now Finished!" 4.5/5

08 : Crusaids - Skit

09 : Tai Chi ft. Hell Razah, 60 Second Assassin & Father Lord

I wanna give this track a 5/5 so bad but 60 Sec. is so wack on this joint. His flow is just horrible on this joint, the beat is classic and i just zone out on it, Hell Razah comes in and just smashes it with ease "We building projects and pyramids Evil kid, I destroy your ass like London Bridge, Smoke trees of weed, take off the leaves out the twigs, Pure truth is what I got to give A lot to live for, you ain't rich before poor,It ain't peace without war, how would stand without a floor?"
    , then 60 Sec. comes in and it sounds so bad, even Priest couldn't save the track, I like his part though "
    Walking through the penile glands
    Like it was an un-foreign land
    Knowledge is the key to the mind which is a mysterious doorway
    Through a long dark hallway
    Use your conscious as a compass to avoid being conquered by nonsense
    Use your subconscious as a map
    Once it's time to head back
    Use your food for thought and leave bread tracks
    Now we can see with the third eye
    Swift as your bird fly
    Using commonsense as a detour
    Up ahead there lies three doors, for you to see more
    You might have to meditate to the soft melodies from a keyboard
    Understanding is your flashlight
    It reflects the windows to your past life
    No psychiatrics could raise you from off the mattress
    As you fall deeper and it's hypnotized
    You better read my lips 'cause that's the guide
    Out the hallways of negative which is always competitive
    Therefore, you must never let it live"
    ..... 4/5

10 : Heavy Mental
    I know this is a skit but Priest be going off on here...........

11 : If You Don't Know ft. Ol' Dirty Bastard
    I'm definitely feeling this track right here, the beat is mad nice and Priest comes in dropping the heat, the hook with O.D.B. is just classic, nothing else you could ask for. 5/5

12 : Atoms To Adam ft. Shangai The Messenger
    At First I wasn't really feeling this joint but Priest is going off on this joint I don't even know where to start, i'mma just pick somewhere Random "

Ahhh, principalities enables me to see the other galaxies
    Releasing all calories, backed eight author, writers and eulogies
    I'm the author and the writer of a biography with God prophecies
    And challenged Egyptology philosophies and Greek mythologies
    Going through the glossaries of Socrates with Pharisees and Sadducees
    Going through genealogy with degrees, I contact the Hasmonean dynasty
    Approximately 168 B.C.
    Transform from the Wu Killa Bee into the families of the Maccabeez
    I can see every species in 3D and hear them clear as CDs
    During my pilgrimage I walked through the wilderness
    I had the privilege the see the pyramids
    Which gave me the will to live
    To roam through the villages and heal the kids
    Walk across a bridge strong as Farrakhan
    As a voice echo like Saravan across the great Amazon
    Stretching out my hand like Yon 'til it reach Babylon
    Behold the psychic phenomenon, quiet storm
    I wander out on the horizon from the top of holy Mount Zion
    Holding a staff then turned into a python, Killah Priest the living icon
    Sitting in the form of a pentagon in the centre of the octagon
    Walking from Tyre to Sidon, to Lebanon, to the walls of Hong Kong
    Reciting the 23rd Psalm, long gone before the crack of dawn
    Dodging and weaving through the Garden of Eden
    Without even speeding, bobbing, lobbing, revolving all regions"
    Ohh shit! 5/5

13 : High Explosives
    This is an good track, kind of slow but still good, nothing really too special about it. 4/5

14 : Wisdom
    This joint is short and sweet, the beat is crazy on this one right here, I love the jewels he's spitting on here, couldn't ask for anything more. 4.5/5

15 : B.I.B.L.E.
    We all know about this track already, Pretty good Priest drops mad knowledge on this joint, so much shit combined into one track, this is a crazy track. 4.5/5

16 : Mystic City
    I like the beat on here, Priest goes in and the hook does it for me "where do we go from here, after the storm is clear?" I love how Priest send s his messages out to the masses. 4/5

17 : Information
    Not really feeling this shit, he's predicting alot of shit on here...those years have already passed us, maybe half that shit happened already. 3.5/5

18 : Science Project ft. Hell Razah
    Beat is crazy, I love the horns on here with the thunderstorm effect, classic storytelling by Priest, another hood opera, Hell Razah on the hook is a great addition too, he always comes correct on them. 4.5/5

19 : Almost There

Priest' flow is kinda off on this one right here, but you can still catch what he's bringing to you, beat is nice too. Priest taking listeners to higher levels with this one right here. 4.5/5

20 : The Professional
    I'm wasn't really feeling how this track ends the album, I thought he should've chosen a better track to end off the album, the track isn't bad but not all that great either. 3.5/5

Lyrics - 5/5
    Beats - 4.5/5
    Overall - 4.5/5

At first I wasn't really feeling this album, but now Priest has creeped up in my Wu-Tang top 5. He is so deep on this album and you catch something new every listen, his flow needs work on here though and some tracks might be slow ,but the production goes with the flow of the album aswell. ****Overall 4.5/5**** ****Certified Wu-Classic****

Reviewed.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Nice review although Information is one of my faves on this.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man