Thread: The Book of Enoch

Default The Book of Enoch

I've haven't read it before so I wouldn't have much to add in its discussion but for anyone that is interested in it and would like to read it, you can find it in its entirety here

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/enoch.pdf

It appears to have a large influence on many of the writers of the New Testament and is considered Canonical by the Orthodox Ethiopian Church (or so wikipedia tells me ) O figured it was worth checking out.

Support the Real. Click HERE

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

its a deep book

i suggest reading the pseudepigrapha and the apocrypha - the pseudepigrapha has the books of enoch in it - its 2 volumes -

pseudepigrapha = false writings - but its considered and called false by who ?

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

why do yall think this Book was edited out of that version of the bible?
    We do it for the people.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

they give clear descriptions of the Israelites and their enemies

and the tactics of the enemy

Who are the Israelites and who are their enemies?
    Break fast is served

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    why do yall think this Book was edited out of that version of the bible?
    The first reason, is that the very first chapter gives a very vivid and terrifying description of The Hour of Judgement. The only reason I would gather from this, as far as leaving it out of the main Bible, is that most preachers are more inclined to tell us of God's Mercy and leave out the fact that His Wrath is also very important to keep in mind.

It speaks in detail, also, about "The Sons of Heaven" having come down and co-habitated with the Daughters of Men. How the giants that were produced from this joining were terrorizing the earth, eating all of the crops of mankind and eventually turning on mankind and eating them. How the Earth cried out to God because of the pain and suffering of Her children. This is also disagreeable to the majority of people who are taught that Angels don't have free will.

Enoch, peace be upon him, is also taken into the heavens by The Holy Arch Angels. Shown the workings of the stars, planets and all heavenly bodies. The mansions that they move through and the, "nuts and bolts", if you will, of those mansions. Trashing pre-conceived notions that these bodies just swim along an invisible orbit. Invisible they are, only to the unenlightened ones. A description, I believe, of The Seven Sisters is given as well, because along his journey, Enoch, peace be upon him, saw 7 stars bound in a ring of fire. Upon asking one of the Angels what he was looking at, he was told, "These beings did not appear before The Lord when He called all Heavenly Bodies to His Presence, so they will be held this way until Judgement Day."

Lastly, and I believe the most significant part of why it wasn't added, it speaks of the coming of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

Not that it's not in The Bible still, or The Torah, but still.

Peace
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

bump

Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    its a deep book

i suggest reading the pseudepigrapha and the apocrypha - the pseudepigrapha has the books of enoch in it - its 2 volumes -

pseudepigrapha = false writings - but its considered and called false by who ?

Not the writings, but the authors are "falsely attributed." Most were written anonymously.

Books were attributed to pagan authors, and names drawn from the repertoire of biblical personalities, such as Adam, Noah, Enoch, Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Ezekiel, Baruch, and Jeremiah. The Pseudepigrapha resemble the Apocrypha in general character, yet were not included in the Bible, Apocrypha, or rabbinic literature.

Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 11-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Then I saw that the nature of all of them was changed, and that they became white cows; And that the first, who was in the midst of them, spoke, when that word became a large beast, upon the head of which were great and black horns;(Enoch 89:46-47)

I notice that the version that you provided has a lot of emendations though and the numbering is off. Below is the same section of text from the PDF that you provided.

-- And I saw till all their generations were changed, and they all became white bullocks, and the first one of them [was the word, and that word] was a great animal, and had on its head large and black horns; and the Lord of the sheep rejoiced over them and over all the bullocks.(Enoch 90:38)

I don't like it when authors interject stuff the way the one in your PDF does. I don't think I'd recommend it for the first time reader -- let people try to figure out for themselves what the text is saying. Here is the version that I reference -- the 1893 Robert Henry Charles translation -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5638259/shared/enoch.html.