• Average

2 1.00%
  • Mediocre

3 1.49%
  • Wack

1 0.50%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II

Some of you sleeping on the Cold Outside beat. It builds up perfectly. Ghost n Rae came with lyrics that fit it well too.

cold outside is one of my fav. tracks on this cd...
    the cd is cool... but not to compare with pt1... too many producer...
    but a "NEW AGE CLASSIC" mos.-def.
    rotatin since sept.11th all day... (next to dj whool - whool in sheepclothing // came the same day)

Love it. I'm liking it more than Part 1... but that feeling might wear off in the next few weeks, we'll see. But at the moment I think it's a definate Wu classic.

I'll write a more comprehensive review at another time.... when I can find some time.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    ^^^The album is a week old. Those people that are pawning off half the tracks as filler after listening to it a few times are retarded. This album has no filler. Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table. Try just zoning out and listening to it rather than staring at your cd player waiting for the exact moment the next song begins so you can skip it. Smoke a blunt. Walk your dog. Just listen.
    I listened to the whole thing through several times before I edited it. Quite a few times actually. I kept on putting off deleting tracks on my fake Ipod and I'd find myself out on my bike listening to all these dud tracks again wishing I'd edited it. Once I realised the dud tracks weren't gonna grow on me I started skipping them. Then I started skipping a few more. Then when I finally got to editing it I found that there were only 13 tracks I wanted to hear again, and I'm starting to think 1 of those might have to go too.

It's a very good album. If I'd just gotten into hip hop I'd probably be loving it. I'm tired of hip hop though. I've still got full love for the older stuff which I grew up on, and even some albums from the early 2000's and a couple from recent years, but the majority of shit coming out these days just sounds tired and recycled. You say "Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table". I say not one track on this album brings anything new and/or unique to the table. Thankfully a reasonable percentage of the tracks are pretty "bangin'" though. Dope tracks for any hip hop fan. The left over part...well I just really don't want, or need, to hear it.

It's cool that a lot of the fans are loving this album. That's great. I'm glad it delivered after being put off for so long. And I'm glad that I myself am able to make up 40 minutes of tracks that I actually want to come back to. I'm just sharing my perspective on this album. I don't want or expect everybody to feel the same as I do.
    Last edited by noel411; 09-20-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Its pretty much what I expected. Its quite good. It would be stupid for Raekwon or anyone else to think that he'd make an album as good as Cuban Linx, as not many albums rap or otherwise are that good. For the most part its a good album because Rae really delivers in terms of the story-telling shit and funny street slang and most of the beats are excellent. Theres a bunch of tracks on there that i'll be listening to for years. Its not a classic album though, and it only beats his previous 2 albums because they were genuine duds. Theres a lot of shit wrong with this album though:
    - Like most rap albums, its too long. They could have taken off 5 or 6 songs and it would have been much sharper.
    - RZAs 3 tracks were among the best on the album and this album coulda used more of that shit, at least 'State Of Grace'.
    - Too many outside guests.
    - Sampling Elton John on a song called 'Kiss The Ring'.

Overall its a good album, but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite disappointed. I bought 6 new albums this year, and I think this is the least good of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    New Wu is my new ringtone. That's my shit.
    haha ive had that song as my ringtone since the radio rip dropped. i gotta update is so it sounds better. ive had about 15-20 people buy that album because of hearing my ringtone. should rae send me a check for promotion?

^^^The album is a week old. Those people that are pawning off half the tracks as filler after listening to it a few times are retarded. This album has no filler. Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table. Try just zoning out and listening to it rather than staring at your cd player waiting for the exact moment the next song begins so you can skip it. Smoke a blunt. Walk your dog. Just listen.

ha, how people on these forums convince themselves of these things is beyond me.

Similarly to noel, i still listen to 10 or so of the tracks, the rest are unchecked in my itunes, because yes, they have no replay value and are pretty much filler.

Having 22 tracks was crazy.

you're fucking kidding right?

Pat I don't really care how smart you think you are. Don't try and correct me, ever. I stay out of your business so stay the fuck out of mine. What you just said is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    I don't think i'm smart at all.

However, i know that i am a lot more intelligent than the vast majority of people who post here.

You are one of the least intelligent members, hence i'll correct you whenever i feel the urge, and the urge strikes me often as you are constantly spouting uniformed nonsense.

Don't try and correct anyone here, ever.

Banned

you niggas are complete tools harping on the length!!!

its 20 plus tracks, surely out of those 20 at least 10 are supersonic bangers to you personally!!! to someone else, those 10 tracks you dont like, are their favorites!!!

in an era where emcees take the easy way out, they dont stress lyricism or creativity, rae comes with 20+ tracks of slick lyrics and bangin beats that vary in feel and he gets criticized for it by homos who cant wait to load the album up and EQ certain tracks or crop verses!!!

you aint the director cuz you dont have a visionary mind!!!! suck a dick haters!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Theres a lot of shit wrong with this album though:
    - Like most rap albums, its too long. They could have taken off 5 or 6 songs and it would have been much sharper.
    - RZAs 3 tracks were among the best on the album and this album coulda used more of that shit, at least 'State Of Grace'.
    - Too many outside guests.
    - Sampling Elton John on a song called 'Kiss The Ring'.
    I disagree with all of those statements.

If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original.

If tracks from last year made the final cut. The haters would bitch that they don't want to hear recycled shit.

Outside of the wu, there was only 4 guests who spit verses. This seems like you're just looking for problems now. The only outside verses I felt should've been cut was Busta.

You think this is the first time that someone like Elton John has been sampled. As long as it's done right, I don't care who they sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    I don't think i'm smart at all.

However, i know that i am a lot more intelligent than the vast majority of people who post here.

You are one of the least intelligent members, hence i'll correct you whenever i feel the urge, and the urge strikes me often as you are constantly spouting uniformed nonsense.

Don't try and correct anyone here, ever.
    Your love/hate relationship with my intellect has you disrespecting yourself. My post was a joke. You took it seriously. You are dumb.

Veteran Member

"If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original."

Over 1 less track? CL1 was only 16 songs

^18 tracks

Veteran Member

Take away the Strivin For Perfection Intro and the Shark Niggaz Skit your left with 16 Tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by RynMur View Post
    I disagree with all of those statements.

If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original.

If tracks from last year made the final cut. The haters would bitch that they don't want to hear recycled shit.

Outside of the wu, there was only 4 guests who spit verses. This seems like you're just looking for problems now. The only outside verses I felt should've been cut was Busta.

You think this is the first time that someone like Elton John has been sampled. As long as it's done right, I don't care who they sample.
    People wouldn't complain about 15 tracks, thats enough for 95% of albums. Rap albums are usually way too long.

Why is the material recycled? Its never been officially released. Why wouldn't he put a track on the album thats already got a great response?

I know there weren't many guests, but there was still too many. It refers more to the production anyway. There was 6 vocal guests I think including hooks. Its not many but compare it to 1 verse on the first album. I guess it is a minor complaint.

What I said about 'Kiss The Ring' wasn't really serious, I just thought it was funny.

Its flawed yeah, but its still a great album and a testament to spending 5 years making an album. I hope he spends that long on his next one.