• Mediocre

3 1.49%
  • Wack

1 0.50%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    A couple of things

7.Gihad - 7.5/10 - Tight beat and I love Rae's verse but Ghostface kinda ruins the track to me. He comes in off topic with a verse about fucking his son's bitch to teach him a lesson... makes me say "wtf" to myself every time I listen to it.

You are taking the word son too literally, there is no way Ghost's son is 25.
    Don't try and correct people when you are clearly misguided and clutching at straws.

He is talking about his son, he's obviously speaking in the past tense, i don't know why you're assuming it's in the present.

There are no lyrics to suggest he isn't talking about his son literally, and many to suggest he is.

you're fucking kidding right?

Pat I don't really care how smart you think you are. Don't try and correct me, ever. I stay out of your business so stay the fuck out of mine. What you just said is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    Last edited by brock; 09-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

why is the poll not working??

at first i thought it was cuz the album hadn't dropped yet but.......time to fix it

wuswordz95

i dont like the catalina song reminds me of that 50 cent club joint back in 01.

Like the majority of good modern hip hop albums, this album is ruined by being far too long. The first 3rd or so is great, and as I was listening to it for the first time I thought the Wu had really come up with a winner here. Then boom, there's about 20 minutes straight of filler. Completely ruins the album for me and instantly dismisses any possibility of it being a truly great album. The final 3rd or so of the album is made up of a few great tracks, some good ones, and some more filler. All in all there is at least half an hour of filler on this album. From what I recall the album is about 70 mins. Cut out that half hour of filler and you have 40 mins of great tracks. A perfect length for an album imo. Could have been a possible classic if they'd done that. I for one am just not interested in listening to an hour + of music of which a good percentage is uninspired and forgettable. And as I am a person who enjoys actual albums rather than individual tracks, or partial albums, this album fails me in that regard, and will soon be forgotten along with the rest of the last 5 odd years of hip hop I've heard.

Great hip hop albums don't exist anymore. This isn't worthy of the title "Cuban Linx II" imo. It is not the cohesive project the original album was. It's not even close. The first album was long too, but every track was a relevant and worthy part of a brilliant whole. This album is littered with filler that breaks up the parts of the album in which momentum is built. People aren't interested in making actual albums anymore. They just wanna record as many tracks as they can with as many important mc's and producers as they can, then throw them together and call it an album. Or a mixtape if it really fails to come together. This album obviously has direction and a lot of it was clearly intended to come together as an album. It just suffers from all the other shit that was thrown in the mix.

Still, it is probably the best Wu solo in several years. Probably as far back as No Said Date and possibly even further back. It's a very good album which could have been great. A pity, but at least it does offer a lot of memorable tracks.

kamouflage

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Like the majority of good modern hip hop albums, this album is ruined by being far too long. The first 3rd or so is great, and as I was listening to it for the first time I thought the Wu had really come up with a winner here. Then boom, there's about 20 minutes straight of filler. Completely ruins the album for me and instantly dismisses any possibility of it being a truly great album. The final 3rd or so of the album is made up of a few great tracks, some good ones, and some more filler. All in all there is at least half an hour of filler on this album. From what I recall the album is about 70 mins. Cut out that half hour of filler and you have 40 mins of great tracks. A perfect length for an album imo. Could have been a possible classic if they'd done that. I for one am just not interested in listening to an hour + of music of which a good percentage is uninspired and forgettable. And as I am a person who enjoys actual albums rather than individual tracks, or partial albums, this album fails me in that regard, and will soon be forgotten along with the rest of the last 5 odd years of hip hop I've heard.

Great hip hop albums don't exist anymore. This isn't worthy of the title "Cuban Linx II" imo. It is not the cohesive project the original album was. It's not even close. The first album was long too, but every track was a relevant and worthy part of a brilliant whole. This album is littered with filler that breaks up the parts of the album in which momentum is built. People aren't interested in making actual albums anymore. They just wanna record as many tracks as they can with as many important mc's and producers as they can, then throw them together and call it an album. Or a mixtape if it really fails to come together. This album obviously has direction and a lot of it was clearly intended to come together as an album. It just suffers from all the other shit that was thrown in the mix.

Still, it is probably the best Wu solo in several years. Probably as far back as No Said Date and possibly even further back. It's a very good album which could have been great. A pity, but at least it does offer a lot of memorable tracks.
    too long? lol
    Boom Bap Mafiozos " C.R.A.C.K."

http://www.myspace.com/boombapmafiozos

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Poll is back. My bad
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

People need to stop using the word filler, when it's obvious they don't know what it means.

who is allah justice?

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cappadonna36 View Post
    who is allah justice?
    Gza

so GZA produced that song on there?

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

We Will Rob You? That was produced by Karim, The Gza's son

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

This is why you dont make an album review thread a month and a half before an album drops. You get like 8 pages with only a few actual reviews. This is nothing more than a CL2 discussion thread.

People were so fuckin quick to "reserve their spot" a month ago, then proceed to forget about it, so we have pages of empty posts.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    People need to stop using the word filler, when it's obvious they don't know what it means.
    you are taking the word filler too literally

STREET CORNER, by MANO

I also think the album is a bit too long. Honestly everything after Fat Lady Sings except Kiss the Ring is completely unnecessary.