• Good

3 30.00%
  • Mediocre

1 10.00%
  • Bad

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cage - Depart From Me (2009)

Regardless off all the shit being said.....

Cage is better than depart from me...

I dont care if he had anthony keidis producing the tracks.....keep it fucking hip-hop...fuck this crossover shit... Even though cage has always been rock influenced and fused together.... Dont totally ignore the hip-hop side of things... I mean shit....

That's the problem with hip-hop...the real artists dont wanna make hip-hop music anymore.... Cause all these corny niggaz killed the genre. Instead of taking the wack niggaz out , the hardcore artists let it happen.

Im sorry i got love and respect for cage... But what the fuck... Make some dope hip-hop shit..

I understand your character matured...but get some official production....

Like i said cage was one of the hardest emcees ever... Why waste your time doing this bullshit? He never put out a 40 minute c.d. Before! I expect more from cage i think he low balled his self and audience...

Your on def jux... One of the best independent labels in the game and you go spending money on this???? You know cage pocketed alot as far as production budget goes..one of the hottest beats was done by aesop!

Im a true cage supporter i really buy his shit.. I been fuckin with cage for years... But this was just not what i expected... I was lookin forward to this shit for 3 years? No offense to cage... But c'mon duke....
    http://images.meez.com/user07/3/9/3/0/8/3/9/3930839_bodyshot_175x233.gif

well said, p-noid.

Album sucked and contained some really horrible production, I was a fan of Cage for years, but he lost me on this album, he just sounded, whiny, repetitive and annoying, for those that say this is a good album, how do you rate it against Movies For The Blind, Hells Winter and the Weatherproof EP?.

I feel that Cage turned on his real fans with this album and I don't think it has sold very well, so what was the fucking point?

Even the EP was better than this trash.

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crds View Post
    how do you rate it against Movies For The Blind, Hells Winter and the Weatherproof EP?.
    I thought that Cage making an album the way he really wanted to make an album was the most impressive thing about "Depart From Me". On the other hand, I have to admit that I really liked Cage's old style. I'd probably give "Movies For The Blind" a 3.5/5. It was a great album, but It kind of wallowed in itself and became overloaded with the drugs, violence and sex. Great production though on that one. "Hells Winter" I'd give a 4.5/5. I thought it was a much tighter album than "Movies For The Blind" and "Depart From Me", especially in the production department. I thought that using true to life lyrics pertaining to his own life experiences also proved to be more horrifying and affecting than any of the fictional stuff from "Movies For The Blind". I'd give the "Weatherproof EP" a 4.2/5. It really does well at occupying the right balance of over the top borderline horrorcore style of "Movies For The Blind" and the more introspective, abstract leanings of "Hells Winter". I absolutely loved the tracks produced by RJD2 and Camu Tao for that EP, and the length of it was a plus, since I never felt that it got bogged down in morbid overload. I just took the time to spin through his entire discography again, and while I don't think that "Depart From Me" is by any means a bad album, I think that he may have gone a tad far to the extreme in changing up his style. However, I do really respect that he's not afraid to make a radical change and experiment with his sound.

On a side note: I think that Cage's collaborative efforts (NightHawks and Smut Peddlers) are head and shoulders above anything on "Depart From Me".
    Last edited by DirtMcgehrk; 07-26-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

Meh, he tried something new, I had hopes for it, but it never really grew that much on me. Decent effort, he should see that Hell's Winter are by far his best work and try to update that formula instead of continueing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Sleepyheaded Nonsense Dr Sleepwalker's Avatar

Alrite my full review., I didn't rate some of the songs, 'cus I felt some were more like skits than songs..

1) Nothing Left To Say. (5/5)

2) Beat Kids. (4.5/5)

3) Doctor Strong. (3/5)

4) I Found My Mind In Connecticut. (5/5)

5) I Lost It In Haverton. (4/5)

6) Teenage Hands. (Skit)

7) Eating It's Way Out Of Me. (5/5)

8) Kick Rocks. (Skit)

9) Captain Bumout. (4/5)

10) Strain. (4.5/5)

11) Fat Kids Need An Anthem. (3/5)

12) Look At What You Did. (4.5/5)

13) Depart From Me. (4.5/5)

14) I Never Knew You. (5/5)

New Eyedea & Abilities is better than this for sure. A couple of tracks are alright, but he simplified his flow and a lot of the beats sound tacky and thrown together. And I like Hatebreed!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMcgehrk View Post
    What'd you think of the new Eyedea & Abilities album? I agree with you about the whole rock thing. If it isn't done right then it can sound terrible, and I do admit there were some very weak points on "Depart From Me" because of that. After giving "By The Throat" a few listens I was only feeling like 3 songs on it and it felt kind of unfocused.
    I don't think its terrible. Eyedea still finds a way to fit his flow into the tracks, but the overall beats just don't seem to work with album for me (along with the choruses). E&A & First Born were so good that it just seemed dissapointing to me.

I'd rate By The Throat a (2.7/5) C+

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RynMur View Post
    I don't think its terrible. Eyedea still finds a way to fit his flow into the tracks, but the overall beats just don't seem to work with album for me (along with the choruses). E&A & First Born were so good that it just seemed dissapointing to me.

I'd rate By The Throat a (2.7/5) C+
    That's about what I would give it. Not terrible for sure. I just got used to Eyedea coming with these amazing tracks like "One Twenty" and stuff. "By the Throat" was different for sure. That being said, I think that Abilities did a very good job with the production, I just didn't think that Eyedea's flow and delivery matched well enough with it most of the time.
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Nothing left to say is the best song....most of the others suck monkey balls.
    bring back begongo!!

i like dr. strong. that shit sounds hard as hell in a system.

and since we are bringing up old cage joints. i got to mention the leak brothers album with tame-one. one of my personal favorites by cage.

I wanted to like it, but nah....ain't feeling it. Has anyone got any pictures of old cage and new cage?

the album is ok but nuthin special IMO
    "Side effects of, hot raps and hot tracks
    A duffle bag full of guns son, dipped in black
    "

http://www.myspace.com/jpersona
    http://twitter.com/jpjasonpowers

Quote Originally Posted by GoldynChyld View Post
    I wanted to like it, but nah....ain't feeling it. Has anyone got any pictures of old cage and new cage?
    haha from wigger cage to emo cage?