Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2pac vs Lupe

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Saying Lupe is better than 2pac is like saying Usher is better than MJ.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

2pac aint a lyricist? Please. Lupe would kill to have lyrics as real and clear as this

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    2pac aint a lyricist? Please. Lupe would kill to have lyrics as real and clear as this

idk why faggots are saying 2pac isn't a lyricist considering all the classic songs he's made. Lupe's faggot ass can only make songs about skateboarding and stupid shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Tyson View Post
    idk why faggots are saying 2pac isn't a lyricist considering all the classic songs he's made. Lupe's faggot ass can only make songs about skateboarding and stupid shit like that.
    Then again, you're displaying the same ignorance those who claim pac isn't a lyricist shows by you're Lupe statements, and most of the pac defenders (as well as lupe defenders) does the same.. It's kind of like a war between retards...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by twiztid_wutang View Post
    How the hell are Lupe and Pac even comparable, Different styles, different eras of hip hop
    word

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    Saying Lupe is better than 2pac is like saying Usher is better than MJ.
    this

1st Degree Drunken Masta dreday99's Avatar

Rollo,

Canibus being irrelevant or not seems not to be the issue; fact is, you're right. he's very irrelevant. but one doesn't have to be relevant to be abstract. the two terms have no impact on the other. there was a time when he was relevant, but to me he wasn't abstract then, his rhymes and metaphors were more solid, whereas now he attempts to reach new heights with his rhymes, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing.

i disagree with you on your opinion on jimi's guitar as well, the fact is to me that your tool or instrument can be the extension of the abstract qualities you posess. hendrix's tool of choice was the guitar, while picasso's was the brush, and so forth. it's an inanimate object that by itself is obviously not abstract, but when put in the right hands....

ok replace beautiful with whatever adjective you'd like. the point is, ghostface, along with Slug, and Aesop Rock, etc., all have crafted at times utter nonsense into ear pleasing music. i mean Supreme Clientele is heralded to be Ghost's greatest album and half of it is like the opening verse of Nutmeg. And that's what makes it wonderful. wonderfully abstract, but brilliant nonetheless.

I never said you personally stated E being a great lyricist, my post was in response to the general statements made supporting E, I simply took your post being the last to do so and quoted it.

I still stand by my statement, if Eazy is a better spitter than canibus, then i'm a better writer than Dean Koontz, because i rewrote his book in a prettier font. but i respect your opinion, and appreciate your educated rebuttal, and the fact that you avoided going down the namecalling road.
    wherever u go, whatever u do, always remember the W is forever!

An act of God

Quote Originally Posted by dreday99 View Post
    Rollo,

Canibus being irrelevant or not seems not to be the issue
    ; fact is, you're right. he's very irrelevant. but one doesn't have to be relevant to be abstract. the two terms have no impact on the other. there was a time when he was relevant, but to me he wasn't abstract then, his rhymes and metaphors were more solid, whereas now he attempts to reach new heights with his rhymes, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing.
    I was talking about his relevance before anyone mentioned "abstract".
    When I first spoke on his relevance, it wasn't in regard to him being abstract, it was in regard to someone calling him a lyricist, HE ISN'T.
    It's not that you have to be relevant to be abstract, it's that you have to be relevant to be a lyricist or any form of artist. Art is the human struggle, the definition of the word lyrical is to be personal and I say that factually, not out of my own bias.

. Expressing deep personal emotion or observations

That is the definition of lyrical, I'm sorry, but that is not usual Canibus.
    Usual Canibus is therefor not lyrical.

As for being abstract, I already said what is abstract as far as I am concerned.
    I don't feel he is abstract.

i disagree with you on your opinion on jimi's guitar as well, the fact is to me that your tool or instrument can be the extension of the abstract qualities you posess.
    We're debating whether the music is abstract, not the person.
    As for sound, sound is sound, words have meanings and while sound may evoke emotion, it only does so when accompanied by some form of actual intelligible expression, either visually or verbally.

Now if you wish to say his act is somehow abstract and he's orchistrated this to reveal something deeper by hiding it under a distorted sort of production, fine but I don't see it.

In regard to picasso, I wonde if anyone has ever entertained the idea that he simply may be a crappy a painter? lol

Moving on though.

ok replace beautiful with whatever adjective you'd like. the point is, ghostface, along with Slug, and Aesop Rock, etc., all have crafted at times utter nonsense into ear pleasing music.

Aesop Rock has NEVER made ear pleasing music to me. Slug is simply backpacker hippster selling off some lame grainy samples and a pat boonish version of boom bap.
    I don't like atmosphere, but Slug is sensical.
    The man doesn't have nonsensical lyrics to me, even if it takes a second to understand them.
    Ghostface seems nonsensical on the surface, but in reality, he often expresses himself in ways most don't understand.

Abstract does not mean nonsensical.

I still stand by my statement, if Eazy is a better spitter than canibus, then i'm a better writer than Dean Koontz, because i rewrote his book in a prettier font.
    Again, spitting is actually rapping, not writing. It makes no difference who wrote them if you can't actually rap. So this seems a little on the non sensical side to me.
    but i respect your opinion, and appreciate your educated rebuttal, and the fact that you avoided going down the namecalling road.
    Oh, I don't feel anything toward people, I simply haven't been given a reason to name call.
    I realized a long time ago, forum conversation has no positive benefits, it's a waste of time. I have lots of time to waste though.

this thread gets funnier everyday...lmao..its like the fuckin smart people are watching from the rooftops laughin their asses off.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    this thread gets funnier everyday...lmao..its like the fuckin smart people are watching from the rooftops laughin their asses off.

i hope you don't think you're one of those smart people, and i hope by smart people you don't mean lupe supporters lol

faggit

no i actually mean everyone but you at this point.

'

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Canibus is not abstract, he's irrelevant.
    Different does not mean abstract, abstract is a much more complex way of illustrating
    something by enveloping your message in a different form of imagery, usually by distorting your original message by over emphasizing certain things. Slug from atmosphere would be abstract.

First of all, a guitar cannot reveal anything abstract, jimmy hendrix's style is not abstract, just different. Being different alone does not make you abstract imo
    Secondly, bus's lyrics make sense, it's just that a wide majority of them are just bad.

No, it's not that I don't get them, it's simply that they take absolutely no artistic ability to write.
    As I said before, they're dribble..

I don't call that beautiful good sir.
    You and I have two completely different polarizing views on beauty.
    I don't believe in beauty, just the ability to get a certain reaction from the human condition.
    And it really doesn't get that reaction from me.
    Ghostface has done it before, but no not there.

WHO THE FUCK SAID E WAS A GREAT LYRICIST?!?!? Stop implying shit I never uttered.
    please... I can't stand it when people do that.

I simply said, if you can't execute your lyrics, it doesn't matter how good they are.
    Rap is spoken not written.
    That's what makes it rap and not simply writing.

You don't have to write lyrics to be a great spitter, just be a great spitter.

An act of God

Quote Originally Posted by Slang Gargoyle View Post
    I guess it does feel like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Energy Turtle View Post
    I said lyricism wasn't the be all and end all of defining a rapper.

You said Lupe was better - what is your take the? Nothing other than "Oh he has abstract lyricism" or some dumb shit.
    ok so u can value flow over lyrics and call it fact but nobody can value lyrics over flow without being a dumbass?

im not rooting for lupe, im just rooting for sence which u completely lack.
    Last edited by The Grandmaster; 08-06-2009 at 02:45 AM.

shiitt, bump