• Mediocre

0 0%
  • Bad

0 0%

Thread: CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Vol. 1

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

Default CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Vol. 1

01. Departure
    02. Nothing But Strangeness (feat. Looptroop Rockers & Hilltop Hoods)
    03. Lynguistics (Live In Stockholm)
    04. Move
    05. Spark My Soul (feat. Substantial)
    06. Never Come Down (The Brownie Song)
    07. Hypnotized (feat. PackFM & Club Dub)
    08. Dance For Me (Remix)
    09. Die For You
    10. White Guy Mind Tricks
    11. Georgia (Remix feat. Killer Mike & Khujo Goodie)
    12. K.K.K.Y. (Remix feat. Skinny Deville & Fishscales & Young Chu & Sheisty Khrist)
    13. Don't Leave (When The Winter Comes) (feat. Slug)
    14. The Distance
    15. Broken Van (Thinking Of You) (feat. Mac Lethal)
    16. Billy Joe's Garage (To Be Continued)
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

It's been two years since the Kentucky boys of CunninLynguists graced the hip hop scene with an album, and their latest attempt should please old fans and bring in some new ones.

2007 saw the release of one of their most mature offerings, Dirty Acres. The LP was as close as hip hop can come to being legitimately beautiful. With their latest effort, Strange Journey, Vol. 1 CunninLynguists continue in the tradition of a dark, elegant sound, mixed with their harsh southern drawl and intelligent, conscious lyricism.

The album kicks off with a throwback skit that recalls some of their earlier records, creating more of a mixtape feel than a real LP, and to some extent, it is. The heavy presence of remix tracks from Dirty Acres and a a live performance of "Lynguistics" somehow take away from the initial freshness you'll feel from opening up the CD case expecting an album of completely new material.

That being said, the remixes are well done, and feature some very good guest spots from relatively unknown artists. The album doesn't really get going until the 4th track, "Move". The song is an excellent example of the unique production style of Kno, who in my opinion has been the key member of the group since its creation, and really sets them apart from other hip hop crews. A low-key saxophone compliments a echoed drum beat and a poppy synthesizer chorus. Natti and Deacon's syrupy southern accents drip over the production and form around it flawlessly, creating an almost perfect track. Other highlights on Strange Journey, Vol. 1 include "Never Come Down (The Brownie Song)", an ode to weed, but not in the traditional hip hop sense. A rolling organ builds into delicately picked guitar loops and floating synths, making an amazingly complex backdrop to the nonsensical, humorous lyrics. By far the best track on the album is "Don't Leave (When Winter Comes)". The complexity of the production becomes even more pronounced as layers of acoustics, pianos, chimes and sweeping synthesizers blend into each other, building up into a dramatically crooned chorus. Slug (of Atmosphere) makes a guest spot on the track, strong as ever with his usual bleak insights and cigarette ravaged voice. "Broken Van (Thinking Of You)" is another standout track, sampling a weirdly catchy chorus against a bouncing piano. Mac Lethal guest spots on this track, and doesn't disappoint, despite his recent absence from the hip hop scene. Tonedeff heads up a track as well, and as always, puts down a lyrical masterpiece with "The Distance", backed by some production work by Kno that equals Deff's writing in every sense.

Overall, Strange Journey, Vol. 1 is a solid album with some simply amazing tracks. The only thing holding it back from greatness are the remixes and guest spots. While the appearances by fellow artists can yield some great music, there are simply too many of them here, and the result is a slightly diluted CunninLynguists album. It's still well worth the purchase, especially if you're a fan of Dirty Acres and A Piece of Strange. Be on the lookout to the follow up to Strange Journey, Vol. 1, Strange Journey, Vol. 2 on September 8th of this year, which is set to feature guest spots from Sean Price, Blue Sky Black Death, Bronze Nazareth, Poison Pen, Guilty Simpson and J-Zone.

Score: 4/5

Key Tracks:
    Move
    Never Come Down (The Brownie Song)
    Die For You
    Don't Leave (When The Winter Comes) feat. Slug
    The Distance
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

This is one of the biggest suprising albums of the year for me. Don't mind the mixtape feel because it works. Great production from Kno (highly underrated). And I thought the guest appearances really made the record better. Top 10 of the year for me.

Top 5: Move, Never Come Down (The Brownie Song), Die For You, KKKY (Remix), Don't Leave (When Winter Comes) <--- my fav track, although it's a recycled slug verse

Grade: (4/5) A-