Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soul Music - Suggestions?

-

The Dramatics-Shake It Well, Any Time Any Place(i love these albums especially Any Time Any Place. That album has several jams like I Just Wanna Dance With You, Bottom Line Woman, Get With The Band And Dance, I Think About You. L.J. Reynolds who was the lead singer has a strong voice and he's underrated. I wish these albums were available to buy on cd.)
    Levert-Just Coolin(this is a real good album. Their other albums disappointed me because they have too many love songs. They have some jams on Just Coolin album.)

wuswordz95

david porter the masqueade is over is good. and samples that madlib uses.

been running through my page of soul songs I wanna sample today - ahhh I love this shit

and I just found this:

James Brown is the fucking man, check the godly moves

Not a suggestion but an 'avoid at all costs'

Seal's Soul album.

I had high hopes but it really is BAD

-

Seal is a ugly dude hahahahahahahahahahahaha. He knows that money is the only reason Heidi Klum is with him LOL. If he doesn't know that, he should know it LOL. Cute women wouldn't give him the time of day if he wasn't a singer LOL.

Heidi Klum! That's a bit of all right it must be said but everytime I see her or think of her I can't help thinking of RZA's verse on Presidential MC. Plum sauce anyone?

Charles - here is a question for you. I'll answer it too. Would you give a shit if Heidi (or similar goddess) was only after you for your money? In truth I'm not totally sure it would bother me. But it might. Probably not tho.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Default Wu Tang Clan Set A Standard For Soul Sampling

By using this forum, we're now in the midst of a hip hop group who mastered the art of soul music in sampling, maybe there should be more structured info here about the history of American soul for people. I have thought for awhile that members of Wu Tang could start their own school if they wanted to.

http://www.wu-international.com/Came...aks/Breaks.htm

Here are some of my favorite Hip Hop albums created primarily from Soul. I think it's a good start if you're a hip hop fan is to check the credits of albums like these, if you've already gained a sense and liking to the sound from listening to some of these classics:

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
    Genius - Words From The Genius
    Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx
    Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
    Stezo - Crazy Noise
    EPMD - Strictly Business
    Jay-Z - The Blueprint
    Scarface - The Fix
    Lord Finesse - Funky Technician

I think another fun way to learn about Soul is watching movies of the 70's that featured the music on soundtrack, like the Blaxploitation ones. That way you can watch their way of life, learn about the artists and how the music was created from it. Isaac Hayes & David Porter is a good place to start, two prolific song writers who had a great impact on the Soul genre as a team. By studying the cultural aspects of Soul, it's a more interesting, memorable learning experience to help draw you into the music.

Take a look at the story of Isaac Hayes life alone, and you'll see a very inspiring story of life, he is a black man who rose from poverty in the South, to become an acclaimed musician, enterpreneur and humanitarian.

Lou Courtney - I'm In Need Of Love 1974 A great example of the sound I define as Soul, with many great songs.

Syl Johnson, Al Green, Mayfield, Aretha, Marva, Vicki Anderson, Creative Source, Main Ingredient, Rufus, Spinners, JBs, Bobby Byrd, Hathaway, Emotions and many obscure groups on 45rpm. Studying the catalog roster of certain favorite labels like Stax and Hot Wax is also a good way to go.

http://www.soulsvilleusa.com/
    Last edited by fatboybrandon; 11-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Ironman is another album mainly produced from soul music

Al green is dope, i like the pitch of his voice.

I downloaded recently Down To Earth, stevie wonder album, which includes some singer also, its very nice.

fuck soul music..Doo Wop is where its at man

Quote Originally Posted by prof zooDuska View Post
    fuck to soul music..
    fixed