Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who are you?

It depends how you define "conscious".

I am equating "consciousness" to having an "awareness" of your thoughts.

It's a subjective topic so I probably should have said this in the first place.

John W. Henry

Ok. why was that relevant to this topic? (<think thats the weed... ill come back to this 2moro)

The topic asked "who are you"?

I said: I'm the space behind my thoughts and that I was conscious or aware of my thoughts.

That was my answer to the question.

John W. Henry

yeah... i think i went off on a tangent.

Saying your conscious of your thoughts is like saying you conscious of getting a boner at night, it just comes with the territory, it just happens.

By definition thoughts are things you think of, so how can you be aware of thoughts, you just think theres nothing to be conscious of.

We all have our own definitions but i would say consciousness is the energy that absorbs the world and its vibrations, elevating your consciousness just means absorbing more information and being aware of what you want and don't want to absorb, a mental filter.
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

PEACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tage View Post
    Animals are the only ones who dont consciously think.
    How do you know that? Just because theire expressions aren't human in formulation, does that mean they dont consciously think? What about being activley submissive and approaching fellow animals without challenging them?
    I'd say that tells you at least some animals are self-aware and understand the varying consequences of different types of behaiviour and their position in relation to others... is that not being conscious to some extent?
    And then again, are you not a mammal and animal yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by SID View Post
    Saying your conscious of your thoughts is like saying you conscious of getting a boner at night, it just comes with the territory, it just happens.

By definition thoughts are things you think of, so how can you be aware of thoughts, you just think theres nothing to be conscious of.

We all have our own definitions but i would say consciousness is the energy that absorbs the world and its vibrations, elevating your consciousness just means absorbing more information and being aware of what you want and don't want to absorb, a mental filter.
    I don't think you got the gist of what I meant at all, which is completely my fault because I didn't outline things properly to start with.

What is the "source" of your thinking or what is it that is behind your thoughts?

Everyone thinks, but very few people I would say are in control of their thinking.

We can define thoughts and emotions in terms of chemical reactions and brain activity (simplified version) but currently, we can't define the "source".

The source is me not the thoughts.

Last edited by Robert; 08-31-2009 at 09:27 AM.

MATEO

Matthew, son of Joseph, on a never ending quest for all the knowledge