Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Floyd Albums

wish you were here
    darkside of the moon
    animals
    the wall
    piper at the gates of dawn

^ in that order

^^ piper at the gates of dawn seems to be very underrated here, it is very different from later Pink Floyd work but still an incredible record!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I reckon my number 6 would probably actually be Obscured By Clouds. I rather enjoy that album, or soundtrack, or whatever you wanna call it.
    this is a good album, as well as 'More' from the same era (Except for the spanish skit...wtf were they thinking?)

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^^ piper at the gates of dawn seems to be very underrated here, it is very different from later Pink Floyd work but still an incredible record!
    i like saucerful of secrets slightly more but i love both syd barrett era records but you are right they are more whimsical and playful then the stuff after his departure...the ones that seem to get no love are the post-waters records like division bell---which as occasionally cheesy as it is i find enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    ^^^wall wouldn't make my top 5...top 6 certainly...it's good but it's like a roger water's solo album masquerading as a pink floyd record...and if anyone's listened to water's solo work they know what i mean...that said it's got some classic tracks but it suffers from double album-itis
    I sort of agree.

The thing is, "The Wall" has some of the best Pink Floyd moments IMO (chilling and meaningful) which for me, completely makes up for "double album-itis".

Examples:

The second half of "The Thin Ice".

Mother.

The last verse of "Hey You".

Goodbye Blue Sky.

I could name lots of other little moments that got me but I won't bother.

The album kind of needs to be listened to as a whole also.

The Wall has powerful moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I sort of agree.

The thing is, "The Wall" has some of the best Pink Floyd moments IMO (chilling and meaningful) which for me, completely makes up for "double album-itis".

Examples:

The second half of "The Thin Ice".

Mother.

Goodbye Blue Sky.

I could name lots of other little moments that got me but I won't bother.

The album kind of needs to be listened to as a whole also.
    you picked the main candidates for spine tingling moments imo...good man
    it's definitely a gesamkunstwerk (complete work of art)
    i spin this in it's entirety if i'm playing chess alot

and atom heart mother

damn i should amend my list to include that album...it's like a soundtrack to an epic film that exists in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    1. Wish you were here
    2. Dark Side of The Moon
    3. The Wall
    4. Animals
    5. Piper

this list changes often^^eloels...
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    wish you were here
    darkside of the moon
    animals
    the wall
    piper at the gates of dawn

^ in that order
    close..eloels.

It's hard to choose, because my favourite song Comfortably Numb comes from that shit album The Wall.

1 - Wish You Were Here (shine on your crazy diamond!!!)
    2 - Dark Side of the Moon (speak to me!)
    3 - Meddle (echoes!!!!!!!)
    4 - Animals
    5 - The Wall
    Last edited by JASPER; 09-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

on the subject of that song....its a great song...dont get me wrong..just wish it was mixed differently.

damn dusk I didnt even see your 5 ,lol. I think we talked floyd before though and agreed on those ones.

lotta hate for the wall and I can understand the points made. mother used to be one of my fav floyd songs.now its probably have a cigar. Its always been have a cigar since I was real little so I dont think its gonna change.

^^^mine is welcome to the machine...since i was a kid and first heard wish you were here on vinyl blasting at like 3 am lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    ^^^mine is welcome to the machine...since i was a kid and first heard wish you were here on vinyl blasting at like 3 am lol

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    I think it's a great album, it's just not really my style. I do enjoy it, but I'm a much bigger fan of their later, more serious stuff. Barrett's solos are pretty enjoyable too.
    the ones that seem to get no love are the post-waters records like division bell---which as occasionally cheesy as it is i find enjoyable.
    I like about half of each of these albums, but they are just so fucking bland and pedestrian compared to the innovative an unconventional work they did with Waters. There's some really gut wrenchingly awful moments on those albums too, and a lot of cliche, even laughable lyrics. But yeah, they both have some good tracks on them.
    I especially like this verse on the live Pulse album, where Gilmour sings a highly emphasized and powerful version of the verse.

While we're on the subject of the Floyd, does anybody else find Waters' vocals on The Final Cut pretty much unbearable?

final cut is the worst pink floyd album without a question imo

and welcome to the machine used to scare the shit out of me in a good way...the pulsation and the synthwork, with the vinyl hiss of the 70s pressing lol...it was like some jack kirby machine entering our dimension or some shit..and then once you're old enough you realize how phenomenal and potent it is, both lyrically and sonically

and ya, division bell definitely has it's soft rock-dental office soundtrack moments and late 80s early 90s cliches and the lyrics are typically shallow/mundane...but the album has an overall nice vibe imo like a mleancholic/nostalgic vibe...definitely a middle ager's album though