Thread: Disney acquires Marvel for 4 billion

Default Disney acquires Marvel for 4 billion

There have been a number of developments since the initial press release about Disney’s acquisition of Marvel went out. Disney held a conference call with investors that just finished to discuss the deal and while much of it was focused on the financial aspect of the deal – with regards to both current and future opportunities – there were a number of comments concerning publishing and Marvel’s film slate that are of interest. The bullet points are:

* Existing licensing and distribution deals should remain where they are.
    * Disney believes there’s real opportunity with the Marvel catalog of characters and will work on where those opportunities are greatest and how best to leverage them across the existing Marvel and Disney infrastructure.
    * Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.
    * Disney said the deal was attractive not just because they’re buying great characters, stories and brand, but about working with people who know these characters best and how best to work with them in other media.
    * Again, referencing the Pixar deal, Disney finds working as one company with Marvel removes friction and creates value that’s very compelling. Licensing offers very attractive opportunities, but nothing is better than being one. International expansion of Marvel properties through Disney was cited as a potential growth area.
    * Cable channel Disney XD is currently running about 20 hours a week of Marvel content and Disney has been looking to license more Marvel content and this deal gives them that opportunity as well as the opportunity to expose these characters internationally.<.li>
    * With regards to video game publishing, Disney praised Marvel’s licensing agreements with some of the best video game producers and publishers in the business and said moving forward they will consider what’s best for each individual property as each licensing deal comes up for renewal and that there would likely be a blend of licensed and self-produced/self-distributed titles.
    * With respect to Paramount’s distribution deal with Marvel and the Iron Man franchise, Disney has every intention to respect the deal that’s in place, but noted that it’s in their best interest, overtime, to become the sole distributor of Marvel films.
    * Will Disney3D be used for Marvel movies? That will be determined by those who are in charge of producing Marvel’s theatrical films.
    * When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.
    * Disney said this deal is expected to benefit Marvel’s retail efforts, being able to leverage Disney’s shelf space and relationships with major chains and distributors.
    * The deal began when Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger reached out to Marvel Chief Executive Ike Perlmutter earlier this year. Again, Disney noted that they believe in the creative team at Marvel and see no reason to upset that applecart.
    * Disney has not made any real estate decisions and sees no reason to move Marvel Studios from their headquarters in Manhattan Beach, California. No mention of Marvel Publishing’s offices in New York City was made.

In addition, Marvel Editor-In-Chief twittering this morning and has made some comments on the deal:

“G' morning, Marvel U! Welcome to this moment in history. Everyone relax, this is incredible news and all is well in the Marvel U.”

“Everybody take a deep breath, all your favorite comics remain unchanged and Tom Brevoort remains grouchy.”

“If you're familiar with the Disney/Pixar relationship, then you'll understand why this is a new dawn for Marvel and the comics industry.”

Developing…

----------

Official Press Release

Worldwide leader in family entertainment agrees to acquire Marvel and its portfolio of over 5,000 characters

BURBANK, Calif. & NEW YORK, Aug 31, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --Acquisition highlights Disney's strategic focus on quality branded content, technological innovation and international expansion to build long-term shareholder value

Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company (DIS) has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (MVL) in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney on August 28, 2009, Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration.

Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney's global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel's properties.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Marvel have each approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, effectiveness of a registration statement with respect to Disney shares issued in the transaction and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Marvel shareholders. Marvel was advised on the transaction by BofA Merrill Lynch.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22747

ya i was literally just about to post this

ugh... marvel should be autonomous, you can't convince me this isn't going to eventually cause some changes in the way they do things, for better or worse...

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.
    ^^^i hate this type of first year marketing jargon...barf....

"fuck it...i'm hating"

Seriously, just seeing the whole "MARVEL WILL BE KIDDIFIED" thing is striking me as odd.

Disney owns/runs alot of non 'kiddy' things.

A&E (You know, the channel that still shows Dog the bounty hunter after the guy said he didn't want his kid dating a ******)
    History Channel (Airing tons of specials about Hitler and how horrible he was!)
    ESPN

The own MIRIMAX which released (among other things)

CLERKS (You know, "37")
    The Crow
    Pulp Fiction
    Trainspotting
    Chasing Amy
    Dogma
    Kill Bill

While not part of Mirimax they also own the companies that made movies like
    Stay Alive (horror movie I only take note of because it was made in New Orleans)
    Beowulf

Touchstone has released stuff like
    Cinderalla Man
    Kinky Boots
    Dark Water
    King Arthur
    Unbreakable

Just because Disney officially owns something doesn't mean it will be forced into only G-rated crap

but the crap that they can pull off can be hilarious and epic

alice in asgard
    Duck Reign
    Snow White and the Seven Skrulls
    H.E.R.B.I.E. the Love Bot
    Mutants of the Caribbean
    The Haunted X-Mansion
    Age of Chernabog
    Lady Deathstrike and the Tramp
    finding namor
    Spidey's Web
    Flubber meets Flubber
    The Story of Robin Vega and his Merry Men
    The Adventures of Frederick Dukes and Mr. Toad
    The Shaggy Wolfsbane
    Beauty and Beast
    Kitty's Dragon
    Howard,The Million Dollar Duck
    Escape to Witch Scarlet
    The Watchers in the Universe
    The Three Rocketeers
    Angel in the Outfield
    A Kid in Kingmaker's Court
    Mr. Magooneto
    The Shadow King's New Groove
    The Lizzie Braddock Movie
    Confessions of a Teenage Goblin Queen
    The Lion, The Scarlet Witch, and the Warpath
    The Nightcrawler Before Christmas

the lizzie braddock movie...lol

no i'm aware that disney owns a lot of properties not specifially marketed towards children...i just think marvel should lose its autonomy...they just started making their own films lol

but disney's distribution capabilities may help get comics into the hands of a larger audience...if they take this acquisition seriously from that angle...but they probably just wanted more properties for film/tv/lunchboxes/underoos etc lol

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

in reality it probably wont mean much. this seems like a pure business opportunity move, i doubt Disney have plans to change things, they are just looking at Marvel as a company making lots of money, and they want that money themselves, so they have bought the company.

I cant see much reason why Disney themselves would need to change shit, they have tonnes of other businesses for putting out G rated crap. They just want a piece of Marvel's success. And the oppurtinty for franchising and theme park rides.

^good point.

when i originally heard the news this afternoon i was hating full fledged.
    i think there are some companies Disney just shouldn't own tho.
    i guess it's better than universal.
    seems somewhat appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by KZA View Post
    finding namor
    Mr. Magooneto
    lol i picured it

Duck Reign
    this is begging for a photoshop

scrooge mcduck as osborn of course lol

darkwing duck joins the avengers or teams up with moon knight

and the chances of spectacular spider-man season 3 would be high now.

Last edited by KZA; 08-31-2009 at 07:25 PM.

^^^lol jeeezus

dead

eloels..this is crazy

as long as they dont get any creative control, i dont care. business is business

...my fruitopia doesnt taste like coca-cola.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    this is begging for a photoshop

scrooge mcduck as osborn of course lol
    ill offer a reward...(not really) but seriously..that shit would be hilarious.