Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Illmatic may have been the root of the Gambino era

Default I think Illmatic may have been the root of the Gambino era

im watching videos from illmatic, that were obviously out before cuban linx as well as taking another listen to the lyrics and im coming to notice that the album is very cuban linx.

the world of yours not only borrows heavily from scarface and the movies general philosophy, but imaginary as well as is seen in the video.

maybe wu had this in mind when they cast him as the only feature on Cuban Linx.

The lyrics all through out the album pioneered first person reality based NY street rap.

plus he was rockin linx and polos in the one love video. cuban ones.
    smell me?

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

he definitely set the wheels in motion for his generation, but it was the real og's like g rap and ice t ... they were rappin about that shit before evverybody ... schooly d too ... but yeah nas and wu tang and az and mega helped usher in the mafioso era jay z and biggie had absolutely nothing to do with that dont believe the hype ... reasonable doubt was a cuban link rip off any way you look at it smh @ jay sittin with az in the video sippin cristal countin gwap nigga please !!!

Veteran Member

So Biggie rapping as the NY Kingpin Frank White ala King Of NY w/ Walken isnt mafioso?

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    im watching videos from illmatic, that were obviously out before cuban linx as well as taking another listen to the lyrics and im coming to notice that the album is very cuban linx.

the world of yours not only borrows heavily from scarface and the movies general philosophy, but imaginary as well as is seen in the video.

maybe wu had this in mind when they cast him as the only feature on Cuban Linx.

The lyrics all through out the album pioneered first person reality based NY street rap.

plus he was rockin linx and polos in the one love video. cuban ones.
    smell me?

I disagree fully, Wu has ties with the gambino familly in real life and has been real mobsters as i understand it. Nas is just a dope rapper. And since everybody who knows their music and history also knows that Rae started that gambino mafia raps, sure there was gangsta rap but rae took it to another level and soon everybody wanted to be like that.

Like dr dre said we started this gansta shit. Sure i you are a crip, otherwise i see geto boys as the first gangsta rap group in hip hop. they made albums since 89.

g rap started it but he was italian not cuban u smell me hes like frank sinatra if rae is julio iglesias

^super charged kangols
    Last edited by spiggity_ace; 09-01-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Eastern village

Yeah how could i have forgot g rap? Well everyone is making mistakes now and then. Nas illmatic is a classic album though still bump it from time to time but i am not so much into hip hop nowdays only listen to a few cats.

do you actually believe Wu-Tang was fucking MOBSTERS lmfao.. they were street-corner thugs and there's a huge difference, do you think any of these rappers were living like Tony Soprano before their music careers then you're delusional.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    do you actually believe Wu-Tang was fucking MOBSTERS lmfao.. they were street-corner thugs and there's a huge difference, do you think any of these rappers were living like Tony Soprano before their music careers then you're delusional.
    Ok look, i need weed but there is none at the moment where i stay or very little, Maybe i getting carried away, ok wu is not mobsters but
    they had connection to the gambino familly, they ate ate the gambino table with them and so on so that is my point. You can look it up in the wu manual and look at old articles where they mention it.

Again I appoligize start to feel like joe bottoms here hahahahaha.

But for real I do not still agree with tsa. Claaa7 thnks for correcting me on that point.

^^ Staten Island was packed with italian mob, so maybe they had/have connections.
    Paul Castellano bought a house in Tod Hill neighborhood of Staten Island.

Last edited by SL33; 09-01-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    They definately have been investigated by the FBI for ties to the Gambimo Crime Family. That's a fact.

BTW, I never liked the beats on Illmatic, and still don't. I have tried so hard, for so long to understand nearly every other hip-hop fan in the worlds incredibly high opinion of that album, and still can't. It Was Written was much better imo.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Illmatic a mafioso album? Fucking clown.

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Crusadah View Post
    BTW, I never liked the beats on Illmatic, and still don't. I have tried so hard, for so long to understand nearly every other hip-hop fan in the worlds incredibly high opinion of that album, and still can't. It Was Written was much better imo.
    I will not say that you are young or anything, I have been listening to hip hop since 85 and for me the beats on illmatic is something special, it is hard to explain I guess it was just the timing on the album that made it so good.

I'm 30. I'll be 31 in exactly 1 week.

Yes, CL2 drops on my B-day. Do I feel special? No. Birthdays are gay. CL2 is not though.