Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guru legacy is so much bigger than just gangstarr....

Banned

Exclamation guru legacy is so much bigger than just gangstarr....

NO this is NOT in reference to his work with solar....

clearly gurus best work was backed by premier production...

but G is one of the most respected emcees of all time...

championed by his peers....

looked up to by the younger generation...

a true pioneer!!!!!!!

this nigga released a ton of dope music OUTSIDE of the gangstarr tandem, i hope niggas recognize!!!!!!!

mr. baldhead slick... revolutionary album!!!!! why you might ask?!?!!?!?!?

because G put a bunch of niggas on with that, he wanted to blow spots and create opportunities for others... look at the producers he featured on that...

a YOUNG alchemist
    a YOUNG stoupe the enemy of mankind

that wasa great look for a producer lookin to establish their name, they got a production credit next to pete rock and dj premier, thanks to g!!!!!!!!!!!!

guru NEVER fell off...

he started rhyming on tin can beats, that NO ONE can get into... but guru NEVER FELL OFF!!!!!

this nigga was spitting hell fire on those solar throwaways, i hope someone can get a hold of the acapellas and remix them for the world to enjoy!!!!!!!!

and gurus ALWAYS made tracks LIVER if he got a guest verse... any emcee that matters in the history of hip hop, respects the hell out of GURU... end of fuckin story!!!!!!!!!

its a damn shame that faggot nigga solars bullshit is overshadowing gurus legacy... we ALL gotta get our 2 cents in on solar, before getting to guru, and thats a SHAME!!!!!!!!!!

i been knocking GURU since i heard the news... even spinning some of the 7 grand shit... this nigga NEVER lost it and i always maintained hope hed come to his senses, get in with preem, and make another classic.... RIP my nigga!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^ CLASSIC... TIMELESS.... the way G styled on this makes a nigga wanna cry!!!!!!!!!

^^^ i cant not knock this track... solars a herb, solars a hack, but G catchin still catchin chills!!!!!!! probably my favorite track from the 7 grand era... cant deny it!!!!!!!!!!!!

guru wouldve been a legendary emcee with or without premier, i just want niggas to remember that...

guru could literally have just about ANY producer in the world lace him, thats why it the solar situation was such a shame... g couldve popped after gangstarr, call stoupe, alc, pete, just, ANYONE... thats the kinda rep guru had!!!!!!!!!!!

and to anyone bitching about this thread, ima tell you to suck a dick and kill yourself in advance!!!!!!!! a legend is gone, and theres never gonna be enough threads about it!!!!!!!!!!

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

!
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Quote Originally Posted by angry! View Post
    a legend is gone, and theres never gonna be enough threads about it!!!!!!!!!!
    Couldnt have put it better myself.

And yeah, Gurus legacy does extend beyond Gangstarr, but that will always be what he is best remembered for, along with his Jazmattaz series.

remember true master had his start with guru. He had a solo joint on guru presents ill kid records along with another beat. He also had a guest spot on jazzamatazz 2

PRODIGAL SUN

aint nothin' but truth..

Veteran Member

Basically I think this will turn out to be another case where more people REALLY check out Guru's work and truly realise his greatness. It's a shame that it takes for an artist to pass away before people truly begin to appreciate their talent, like with the cases of 2pac, Biggie, J Dilla etc.

I agree with angry's post. Up until a few months ago, I hadn't really given Guru's projects with Solar much chance. But after checking out some of his joints from the Solar era, I gotta say that he hasn't really lost his skills on the mic. He still continued to drop dope rhymes and deliver decent messages in his joint. It's just a shame that the quality of the beats didn't match that of Guru's rhymes.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Solar's beats are ridiculously simple; no wonder I have never heard anybody talk about Guru's work with him.

there should be an official Guru Thread. this whole first page is almost notihing but threads about him.

Poet Of The Streets

I swear I been on here a few years back and mad peoples were talkin bout Guru bein an average/weak emcee and that shit blew my mind. good too see some peoples got their head on tight.

him and masta killa the only ones i can think of who posessed a monotonous flow and just still rip tracks rediculously.......rip guru........one of the best 2 ever do it
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meta4 View Post
    I swear I been on here a few years back and mad peoples were talkin bout Guru bein an average/weak emcee and that shit blew my mind. good too see some peoples got their head on tight.
    word! cats dickriding now. I was just listening to a tribute show on the radio and the DJ said while the music was playing that DJ's were e-mailing him to send the tracks he was playing and he said how can you be a hip hop DJ and don't have Gang Starr. I feel the same way as Hip Hop fans, how can you be a fan and not have at least a few Gang Starr albums.

Guru was the fucking man

Good thread

His jazmattaz shit is really ill

One of the best. I used to under appreciate him but I now agree with my boy who says gurus up there with anyone

I remember style said he heavily studied his rhyme patterns and i always thought that was dope.
    Non Ignorants

RIP

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angry! View Post

^^^ i cant not knock this track... solars a herb, solars a hack, but G catchin still catchin chills!!!!!!! probably my favorite track from the 7 grand era... cant deny it!!!!!!!!!!!!

guru wouldve been a legendary emcee with or without premier, i just want niggas to remember that...

\
    YEA GURUS A BEAST BUT THAT SONG IS JUST ILL CAUSE IT SOUND LIKE A PRiMO BEAT

WHAT U KNOW ABOUT THESE TRACKZ ANGRY YOU YOUNG ASS NIGGA

yes i agree with you 100% Angry, of course the Gang Starr shit was what he's mostly remembered for and that's nothing wrong with that because that was the best music he ever did - he and Preem had more chemistry than 99.5% of emcee/DJ duos.

but it's important to not forget that he did alot of great shit wihout Premier (just liek Preem worked with other artists while he was in Gang Starr). i'm a jazz head and "Jazzmatazz Vol. 1" and "Vol. 2" are fucking amazing albums, i wrote a long review of it rcently which i think came out with how i truly feel and how much this man affected my life. Jazz and hip-hop had always been flirting through samples but GURU and DJ Premier (to some extent) took it to the next level by actually rhyming over productions featuring real jazz legends like Donald Byrd, Branford Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard and so many more (Preem had "Buckshot LeFonque" album with Marsalis which also was great). it all started with "Jazz Thing" where they featured a great saxophonist on there (once again Branford) - true PIONEERS!

Guru was also a stand-up guy, sure the bullshit wiht Solar fucked him up badly which still makes me mad but i don't wanna focus on that negativity but i just want people to understand that because Solar had that type of power of Guru (if you should belive all the interviews) that don't make Keith Elam a weak person by no means. Solar was clearly a very manipulative sociopath and probably psycopath too and i've had my fair share of dealing with people like that and they can't be reasoned with.

but before he met Solar he was always repping Gang Starr, HE put on DJ Premier, he had his label Ill Kid Records where he gave lesser known artists the same chance he himself got when he came to NY. he had acts like True Master, Operation Ratification (which later became NYGz) back in '93, Bahamadia, SikkenMoov and many more. As Premier told in an interview around 1993 they wanted to start the Gang Starr Foundation where they would bring three artists each but Preem didn't come up with any - so it was GURU who brought Group Home, Jeru The Damaja and Big Shug to the table. he's an exec on those classic Jeru albums and he produced the incredible "Serious Rap Shit" on Group Home LP too, or at least co-produced it and he produced many dope tracks on the two Big Shug 12" releases that dropped '95-96.

that's also something people forget but Keith Elam was not just a rapper he was actually a dope producer too, check his production discography. "She Knows What She Wants" was all him, he layed the foundation for "Code Of The Streets" and "Make 'Em Pay" then Preem took 'em to the next level but that's damn incredible songs. plus he produced all of the first "Jazzmattazz" album... his later career could've been impeccable if he produced the albums rather than bitch-ass Solar.

good thread Angry!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!