15 44.12%
  • Pink Floyd

16 47.06%
  • Undecieded

3 8.82%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: f*uck That Last Thread ....Beatles Vs Pink Floyd

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

the piper at the gates of dawn's sound is closer to the beatles psychedelic sound which i prefer and pink floyd were influenced by the beatles. i like several of the psychedelic albums from 1967 better than the pink floyd albums of the 1970s.

Gilmour owns. When Barrett heard this he said it sounded old.

By this time his mind was long gone, but maybe he had tapped into some 4th dimension where all time exists in the same space.

I was watching a live David Gilmour dvd last night, where he performs the whole 'On an Island' album and some old Floyd favourites. Holy fuck that dude just has the most ridiculous touch on the guitar. His playing is utterly exquisite. It's just all feel and emotion, without the flashy, feeling-less speed shit most skilled guitarists play. He's the most emotive guitarist I know of. He's the reason I first picked up a guitar myself and is still by far my favourite guitarist.

Banned

I agree with you about Dave Gilmour being a great emotive guitarist. Probably the only other guitarist I feel that way is Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic. The guitar solo in Time just bleeds emotion, I've been listening to DSOTM for nearly my entire life and that solo still hits me the same way it did when I first heard it with developed ears.

Quote Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
    the piper at the gates of dawn's sound is closer to the beatles psychedelic sound which i prefer and pink floyd were influenced by the beatles. i like several of the psychedelic albums from 1967 better than the pink floyd albums of the 1970s.
    Fair enough, that's how you like it.

TBH the Pink Floyd psychedelic stuff is why I love the post-Syd Barrett era because they defined their own sound. The way their albums are symphonic and almost like 1 song that goes for 40 minutes as opposed to a couple of individual songs, the darker subject matter, that's the real Pink Floyd for me.

I like their earlier stuff too but it feels more at home from Meddle to The Wall for me.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

george harrison, best member of the beatles

well-written song and that awesome guitar-playing

Quote Originally Posted by PANDA PISS View Post

Gilmour owns. When Barrett heard this he said it sounded old.

By this time his mind was long gone, but maybe he had tapped into some 4th dimension where all time exists in the same space.
    i think what syd barrett meant was it sounded more mature and different, which doesn't mean it's bad. syd barrett just prefers making weird songs like captain beefheart and frank zappa. the beatles were weird in their psychedelic years too. they're all cool musicians. there was nothing musically wrong about them.

i prefer the guitar-playing of syd barrett to david gilmour. both are amazing however.

Banned

George Harrison is dope. It's crazy that people always refer to him as the 'weak link' of The Beatles, WTF? I can't remember if I read that George Harrison always had the weakest song on a Beatles record on this website or on youtube but that is mad dumb. As I said earlier at least when it comes to The Beatles solo + group works I think ATMP is the best album. I don't think there was a 'best' from The Beatles though, all 4 were amazing.

George was easily the most under appreciated member though.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    The guitar solo in Time just bleeds emotion, I've been listening to DSOTM for nearly my entire life and that solo still hits me the same way it did when I first heard it with developed ears.
    That's my favourite guitar solo of all time. That solo is what first made me really start taking notice specifically of what the guitar was doing in music. It's actually technically not hard to play, but to play it like Gilmour...forget it.
    I can't remember if I read that George Harrison always had the weakest song on a Beatles record on this website or on youtube but that is mad dumb.
    lolz @ anyone who would say that. It probably was on this site. Even Paul McCartney said that George's songs in the later years were at least as good as his and John's.

Banned

Time is easily my favourite guitar solo of all time as well and my second favourite is probably Money lol The only other guitar solo that gets me the same way as Time is 'Maggot Brain'

I'm sure somebody could find 10 examples of better guitar solo's but for me I've never heard a guitar solo tell its own story. And fuck I love the part of Dark Side of Oz when Time plays and Dorothy meets Professor Marvel

Dave Gilmour is there with Tony Iommi and Eddie Hazel as my favourite guitarists.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.