• Beatles

15 44.12%
  • Pink Floyd

16 47.06%
  • Undecieded

3 8.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: f*uck That Last Thread ....Beatles Vs Pink Floyd

I don't know, i think most big fans of the Beatles would be less likely to appreciate Pink Floyd, and visa versa.

Their musical styles are so different, to enjoy listening to both a lot seems rare to me.

Obviously there are people in the middle though.

I think Stones Vs The Beatles is always going to be a much closer thing.

well i am huge fans of both..so go figure.

Yeah sure, i just think the majority wouldn't be.

Put me onto some.
    Me too.

Regarding the poll, Floyd by miles for me. I feel pretty similar to Bateman. The Beatles are obviously legendary and at the time their music was surely innovative and ground breaking, but as somebody born in the 80's I've never really been all that into them. They're good. I enjoy their music. But I've never collected their albums or anything. Floyd on the other hand I'm pretty well obsessed with.

Though even to compare Sgt Pepper's to Piper, which are not all that different a sound, I'd still go with the Floyd album without a second thought. If Syd Barrett hadn't lost his mind then the Floyd may well have even retained a sound more similar to the Beatles, instead of heading in the direction they did under the influence and eventual rule of Waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    You think so?

The only bands i've heard that capture a similar sound are heavily influenced by them.

I'm not saying there weren't bands previous that had that sound, i've just never heard them (i'm referring to Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here/Animals era Floyd in that respect, the earlier stuff is comparable to a lot of other musicians)

Put me onto some.

I'd say PF were definitely more original than the Beatles, but that's only my opinion i guess.
    I was talking about the earlier Space Rock PF stuff, that style has been done by many other artists even before they did. So they weren't really that unique back then.

But since Dark Side of the Moon, Animals etc, they started sounding more experimental and unique. There will always be other artists that sound similar and it's hard to say who influenced who, but PF are the best in their sub genre.

If you want to listen to some bands that Pink Floyd fans would like, I could list a few:

Eloy
    Hawkwind
    Far East Family Band
    Galactic Explorers
    T2
    Spectrum
    Man
    The Old Man and the Sea

There are so many. Here are a few links where you can download and read about bands from the good old times.

http://rollin-and-tumblin.blogspot.com/
    http://phrockblog.blogspot.com/
    http://redtelephone66.blogspot.com/
    http://tyme-machine.blogspot.com/
    http://proginblog.blogspot.com/

Visit my Jasper Listens to.. thread. I'll update it with some masterpieces soon.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Cool, i've listened to Hawkwind (my dad has a fair bit of their vinyl) and Man.

I'll check out the other stuff on the list and those sites.

SHEM HOTEL.

Is there any Beatles material in 4 channel?

I just downloaded DSOTM in 4 channel. It's directly recorded from the master tape by Alan Parsons. And I happen to have the same type of studio speakers they used back then, 4 of them, plus a professional soundcard.

I'm sitting here getting stoned and there's nothing like this. If the answers to my question is no, remove the Beatles option from the poll.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Pink Floyd for me. I listen to Stones, LZ and PF more than the Beatles, so...
    bring back begongo!!

Interesting topic. The Beatles definitely have ridiculous amounts of great music, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour in particular i never get tired of hearing.

But the three Pink Floyd albums i like (Dark Side, Wish, Animals) and the odd other tracks i like are just absorbing, moving experiences that i don't get from a lot of rock music. After those three albums, Roger Waters became a cunt, although i guess its always there in his lyrics (a preoccupation with misery and nihilism). But for a while they were just incredible.

Pink Floyd imo

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Pink Floyd for me
    We do it for the people.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by Longbongcilvaringz View Post

I just feel as though, while their music is obviously extremely influential, it never blows my mind. In context i'm sure it was amazing, but as someone who only had the opportunity to listen to their music from the 90's onwards, it has mild impact upon me.

I prefer some Beatles solo shit to their album material, which is probably an indication of insanity to most Beatles fans...whatever though.

However, listening to Pink Floyd for the first time, or on any occasion thereafter has generally blown my mind.

Agreed. Well said.
    We do it for the people.

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

i'm a big fan of the beatles and pink floyd. i'm going to tell you the real truth. every album pink floyd released after syd barrett left is overrated. the only album by pink floyd that is worth mentioning as a classic is the piper at the gates of dawn as well as their early singles compilation. rubber soul, revolver, sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, magical mystery tour, the white album, and abbey road are all classics. the beatles have six classic albums and pink floyd only have one classic album. don't pretend that meddle, the dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall are classics because they aren't. they all don't even come close to being as good as the piper at the gates of dawn.
    Last edited by spammy sosa; 01-20-2014 at 06:37 PM.

You're definitely in the minority with that, Floyd made 3 incredibly powerful albums that are almost unmatched in my mind. A lot of people would say The Wall is classic too but its too relentlessly bleak and joyless for me to listen to, maybe a few songs from it.

Quote Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
    i'm a big fan of the beatles and pink floyd. i'm going to tell you the real truth. every album pink floyd released after syd barrett left is overrated. the only album by pink floyd that is worth mentioning as a classic is the piper at the gates of dawn as well as their early singles compilation. rubber soul, revolver, sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, magical mystery tour, the white album, and abbey road are all classics. the beatles have six classic albums and pink floyd only have one classic album. don't pretend that meddle, the dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall are classics because they aren't. they all don't even come close to being as good as the piper at the gates of dawn.
    i guess you say you're a big fan of pink floyd, but even people who aren't big fans rate all those albums as arguably classic. early PF is nursery rhymes psych rock, some of it's pretty good, some, pretty bad.

i don't know, still haven't listened to much beatles, probably never will.