Thread: "Pioneering DJ Grand Master Roc Raida Dead"

Default "Pioneering DJ Grand Master Roc Raida Dead"

Pioneering DJ Grand Master Roc Raida Dead
    By Nolan Strong

X-Ecutioners member and legendary turntablist Grand Master Roc Raida died this morning representatives of the DJ confirmed with AllHipHop.com.

“The legendary Grand Master Roc Raida has passed away this morning,” a representative for the DJ told AllHipHop.com. “Family and friends will miss him dearly. Please give the family their privacy.”

The source refused to give details of his illness or injury, or even the cause of Roc Raida’s death, but did state that previous reports of an injury during karate class or a car accident were inaccurate.

The rep confirmed that Roc Raida was hospitalized last week, but would only state that the DJ’s death was totally “unexpected.”

Grand Master Roc Raida started DJ’ing at the age of 10, after being inspired by his father, who was a member of Sugar Hill Records group, Mean Machine.

Roc Raida was an original member of the X-Men turntable crew, who later became The X-Ecutioners, a DJ collective that helped innovate the art form of turntablism.

He became internationally known, after taking home the DMC World DJ Championship in 1995.

Grand Master Roc Raida released 12 albums total as a solo artist and as member of The X-Ecutioners.

Roc Raida, born Anthony Williams, also produced tracks, crafting song or worked with artists like Smif-N-Wessun, Fat Joe, Ghostface, Black Thought, Pink, Linkin Park and others.

His scratching can also be heard on O.C.’s timeless Hip-Hop track “Time’s Up.” Additionally, Grand Master Roc Raida served as Busta Rhymes’ official tour DJ.

Rhymes expressed his condolences today, via his Twitter page, after Roc Raida’s death became a trending topic on the popular micro-blogging site.

"I just wanna thank everyone 4 ur love and support and ur prayers," Busta Rhymes Tweeted. "We will never let ur name die Roc...We love u and will 4ever miss u...RIP…I was told 2day, We r loosing [sic] all of these great people this year as a result of God calling his army because something is about 2 go down!"

Grand Master Roc Raida was also the creator of the popular Gong DJ Battle.

The next event was scheduled for September 30, in San Diego, California.
    From AllHipHop

R.I.P.

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

shit... r.i.p Roc

It disgusts me that there have only been 3 of us to show this man some love and recognition. Sign of the times I guess.

I just read about this in Hip-Hop Magazine today. Family said it was cardiac arrest during a Krav Mega class that he had been taking weekly for the past 2 years.

Shit broke my heart man, because it was the X-Men that made me take up DJin' in the first place. Out of all of them, Raida and Swift were the ones that inspired me most.

All the good ones are goin'.

R.I.P. Raida.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

no shit i cant believe i hadn't heard this.
    even tho im late on this it still hurts. damn Roc was the main reason i would listen to the xecutioners

sadness.
    no cause reported yet?

No cause has been determined. Since Raida's family said that it was cardiac arrest during martial arts practice, I would have to make an educated guess and say that it was due to Raida's smokin' habit. The dude smoked a lot of weed.

The more you smoke, the less oxygen you're able to take in. The less oxygen you take in, the harder your heart has to work in order to keep your body alive.

Martial arts are very strenuous. It seems like he literally worked himself to death.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

RIP Roc Raida,the master of the body tricks.....