Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The United Football League thread. (The NFL's competition)

whats next? bowling and darts?
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    So far the UFL has been an exhilarating, non stop action packed season. The highest ratings ever seen on the Versus channel. The Florida Tuskers have clinched a spot to play in the upcoming championship game against a team to be determined.

i'm not sure what to believe here, check 2

Despite earlier reports, the actual UFL overnight ratings have arrived. According to a reliable source the overall viewership came in at a .25 overall, with a .29 among the 18-40 demographic. This rates the UFL among the highest viewed shows on VERSUS – placing them ahead of much of VERSUS’ Tour de France and NHL coverage.

a .25 would be about 400K viewers.

the actual numbers:

John Ourand said on Twitter this afternoon that the game drew 220,000 viewers. Compared to 405,000 for Washington-Philadelphia this Tuesday.

220K viewers is about a .17 HH rating..not .29

the 2009 Tour De France...averaged about 550K viewers per day.

the NHL so far in 2009:

game 1: Wash vs Bos-833K
    game 2: SJ vs Col-610K
    game 3: NYR vs NJ- 378K
    game 4: Wash vs Phily-587K

average: 601K per game..which is a .5 rating.

The ratings for the EURO games are NA as of now...but were said to be 50 percent up from last year.

this year the WNBA is averaging 230K a game on ESPN2. MLS is getting 290K on ESPN2.

Both leagues have summer competition and small schedules.

the NHL has massive competition and is getting more than double those leagues....on freaking Versus.

a few other notes:

Pitt got a 10.0 rating on Fox Sports to open there season..broke the old record of 7.4 for an opening night

Boston got a 3.9 on NESN..highest opening night rating for the Bruins ever.

Washington drew 50 percent higher than last year opening night.

RSN's are up 27 percent so far on the young season for NHL games.

All Canadian broadcasts are up dramatically..including a record 2.5 mil for opening night on CBC.

Yea, call me whatever you want...act like the NHL is some joke.

Just don't skew numbers...the NHL is much healthier than advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by wadedigital36 View Post
    whats next? bowling and darts?
    I thought there was a bowling thread in here already, but I can't find it. There is a poker thread though, and I consider bowling more of a sport than poker.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    i'm not sure what to believe here, check 2

Despite earlier reports, the actual UFL overnight ratings have arrived. According to a reliable source the overall viewership came in at a .25 overall, with a .29 among the 18-40 demographic. This rates the UFL among the highest viewed shows on VERSUS – placing them ahead of much of VERSUS’ Tour de France and NHL coverage.

a .25 would be about 400K viewers.

the actual numbers:

John Ourand said on Twitter this afternoon that the game drew 220,000 viewers. Compared to 405,000 for Washington-Philadelphia this Tuesday.

220K viewers is about a .17 HH rating..not .29

the 2009 Tour De France...averaged about 550K viewers per day.

the NHL so far in 2009:

game 1: Wash vs Bos-833K
    game 2: SJ vs Col-610K
    game 3: NYR vs NJ- 378K
    game 4: Wash vs Phily-587K

average: 601K per game..which is a .5 rating.

The ratings for the EURO games are NA as of now...but were said to be 50 percent up from last year.

this year the WNBA is averaging 230K a game on ESPN2. MLS is getting 290K on ESPN2.

Both leagues have summer competition and small schedules.

the NHL has massive competition and is getting more than double those leagues....on freaking Versus.

a few other notes:

Pitt got a 10.0 rating on Fox Sports to open there season..broke the old record of 7.4 for an opening night

Boston got a 3.9 on NESN..highest opening night rating for the Bruins ever.

Washington drew 50 percent higher than last year opening night.

RSN's are up 27 percent so far on the young season for NHL games.

All Canadian broadcasts are up dramatically..including a record 2.5 mil for opening night on CBC.

Yea, call me whatever you want...act like the NHL is some joke.

Just don't skew numbers...the NHL is much healthier than advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    I thought there was a bowling thread in here already, but I can't find it.
    hmm, i wonder why...

Good idea, a new bowling thread should be started soon.

**Rian "Goo" Wallace always thrived on overcoming obstacles.

"Goal Over Obstacles" is the theme of the football camp the former Pottstown and Temple standout, and then NFL player hosts every year in his hometown, and he fully lives by that creed. That is why Wallace is now a starting linebacker on the New York Sentinels of the first-year United Football League (UFL). It is a fledling four-team league created for former NFL and NFL-caliber players who won't let an injury cut their careers short or kill their NFL dreams.

Wallace perfectly fits that bill.

A member of the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in his rookie year of 2005-06, before signing on with the Washington Redskins in 2008. But a shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve, marking an end to last year's season with eight months of rehab.

Now he is healed, back like new, and he wants to prove it to the NFL scouts.

"This league has been buzzing around the internet for some time," Wallace said, when reached last week in Orlando, Fla., where the Sentinels have their home base. "My agent was talking to me about it. One of my coaches from college knew a coach in this league and talked to me about it. I went to one of the tryouts in Atlanta and they decided to sign me onto the team.

"Coming off my injury last year with the Redskins, I had to prove to the NFL that I was healthy. So this was a perfect opportunity for me to play in this league and show that my shoulder is back healthy and that I can still do it."

He signed with Sentinels on Sept. 9. The Sentinels played their first game Oct. 10, and will play their final 2009 game, Nov. 20, against the Las Vegas Locomotives in Las Vegas.

"It's definitely a good deal because there are a lot of NFL scouts at the games and practices," Wallace said. "And you get a chance in your contract that right after the (UFL) season, it still leaves you time to sign with NFL teams.

"I'm very excited. I'm back to feeling like a kid again, loving to play the game. I'm only 27 years young, so I still have some mileage left in me, the Lord willing."

For now he is loving his stay with this UFL team. The Sentinels have no designated home field right now, but have played their home games at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., at James M. Stuart Stadium at Hofstra and Rentschler Field at Hartford, Conn.

"Because it's the first year, the premier season, they are trying to kind of get the league out there, get a buzz going," Wallace said. " They are not trying to compete with the NFL, it's really just a safeway league to get back to the NFL.

"This league is trying to give former NFL players who may be in my situation due to injuries, who may have to re-prove themselves, a chance show that they can play so they get that opportunity again. It also gives young guys who didn't get a chance to play yet in the NFL a chance in this league to prove themselves, produce a good film and show they can play."

Most of the UFL coaches are former NFL players, assistant coaches and some head coaches such as Denny Green, Jim Haslett and Jim Fassel. Ted Cotrell, the Sentinel head coach, played for the Falcons (linebacker) and coached in the NFL for 20 years, with an array of teams including the Chargers Bills, Jets and Vikings. Most of the UFL coaches also have those kind of playing and coaching bios, though some not as extensively as Cotrell.

"He is a good coach," Wallace said.

Wallace has had already what seems to many as a dream career. Not that he didn't work for it.

It wasn't by chance he was a Trojans football and basketball standout at Pottstown, was The Mercury Area Football Player of the Year his senior year. His former Trojans football coach, the late Jody Cwik, would often recall how he would leave late or come early to a coaches meeting, he would regularly find Wallace in the lot behind the Pottstown Middle School, working out all alone.

Wallace landed a scholarship at Temple and became a standout linebacker for the Owls, earning All-Big East honors his sophomore year.

He was drafted by the Steelers in the fifth round in 2005. The Steelers won the Super Bowl that season and he got his Super Bowl ring right then and there.

But that's in the past. Wallace wants to prove himself again now.

"Definitely, my goal is to get back into the NFL," he said. "That's what this whole league is for. And it's pretty much the same as the NFL. The last team we played, the Florida Tuskers, 41 of the 50 people on their roster have played in the NFL for at least four years."

Next year the Sentinels will relocate their training camp from Orlando to New York and establish a permanent home there. For now, Wallace is enjoying his stay in Orlando.

"Nice weather, a very luxury resort," he said. "And they are paying very well. There is nothing amateur about this league. Mostly former NFL coaches. Doug Flutie does the TV commentary. And it's supposed to grow every year."

But he hasn't forgotten his roots and never will. And there was one message he was eager to have related back home.

"I really want to send a special little motivation to my Trojans to just keep on fighting with every play," he said. "No matter what the score or the record says, to keep playing every game out to the end."

Clearly for Wallace, it's once a Trojan, always a Trojan. His words are one's to live by, and it just goes to show, one of the best to ever play at Grigg Memorial Stadium is practicing what he preaches.

the parentheses in the title should be changed from "new pro league" to "new NFL development league"

If it was a developmental league, I would change it.

"Definitely, my goal is to get back into the NFL," he said. "That's what this whole league is for.
    basically the UFL is either for players who couldnt make it in the NFL and are trying to get back in or its for new players who werent good enough to make it on an NFL roster. virtually every player in that league and other leagues like it are auditioning for an NFL job. nothing wrong with developmental leagues, they serve a good purpose. the D-leagues gave us kurt warner.

Congratulations to the Las Vegas Locomotives for their 20-17 overtime win over the undefeated Florida Tuskers in the championship game.

Daunte Culpepper is about to be employed as a professional football player once again. It won't be with an NFL team, though. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, it will be with the UFL's Sacramento Mountain Lions.
    Not being able to land a job anywhere in the NFL, even as a third-stringer, has got to be difficult to accept for Culpepper, who most recently played quarterback for the Detroit Lions. We're talking about a two-time All-Pro, a three-time Pro Bowler and a guy who once graced the cover of Madden.

Now he's on a team that's also accepting players from open tryouts.
    Here's the good news, though. Remember J.P. Losman, former first-round pick of the Buffalo Bills? He washed out of the NFL, spent a year choo-choo'ing with the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives, won the UFL title, and is now back in the bigs. He signed with the Seahawks on Tuesday.

So the UFL can be a path back to the big show. It would be nice to see Culpepper have a great year with the Mountain Lions — well, let's be honest, playing in the UFL, he might have a great year, but there's no chance I'll actually see it — and then Tommy Maddox himself back into the NFL.

I give Culpepper a lot of credit for burying his pride and taking the UFL gig. This is a guy who retired back in 2008 when he couldn't latch on with an NFL team, so taking the huge step down to the UFL can't be easy for him.
    Best of luck down there, Daunte.

-sports.yahoo.com

I think this is a step below the arena football league I mean he could not go to the CFL?

The new season is starting next month.

-Maurice Clarett hopes to run again, this time in the UFL

We here at Shutdown Corner will always love a good comeback story. The longer the odds against someone, the more heartwarming it is if they can fight their way back.

With that in mind, a comeback after being arrested with an assault rifle, three handguns, a bulletproof vest, a bottle of Grey Goose and a hatchet might set some kind of record for longest odds on a comeback. You get to a place that dark in your life, and I'm sorry, but I can't have a ton of faith in you being a productive professional athlete -- or even a productive member of society -- ever again.

But still, Maurice Clarett's trying to find a way. He did his three-and-a-half years in the pokey, and he wants to be a professional running back again. He'd like to go the UFL route. And the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks are interested in him, too.

"Maurice Clarett has paid his debt to society and through recent conversations with Maurice, his lawyer and his family, we believe he is sincerely working at turning his life around," Nighthawks G.M. Rick Mueller said. "Because we believe everyone deserves a second chance, and because Maurice wants to see whether he can still play the game he loves, we've agreed to work Maurice out as soon as the Ohio courts allow. There are no commitments other than we want to help him take positive steps towards being the good citizen and solid family man that he aspires to be."

Fantastic. But what does Clarett have left in the tank? Well, his attorney has an opinion, but keep in mind, of course, that he's a bit biased and that attorneys aren't professional football scouts.

"Since he re-enrolled in summer-quarter classes at Ohio State, he's been going to school and also working out each morning at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center," [Clarett's attorney Michael] Hoague said. "He looks really good."

Clarett needs to get permission from a judge to leave the state of Ohio and head to Omaha for a tryout. If the judge will grant it, Clarett will get the chance to battle Ahman Green(notes), Shaud Williams(notes) and D.D. Terry(notes) for the chance to take handoffs from Jeff Garcia(notes) this season.

My hope is that, professional football career or not, Clarett's life is turned around and that he can live a healthy, happy life. As for football? I wouldn't say I'm optimistic; not after the guy spent three-and-a-half years eating prison food. Then again, this is the same guy who convinced the Broncos to draft him while existing on a diet of Grey Goose, so who knows? Miracles can happen.

-news.yahoo.com

The newly formed Omaha Nighthawks are heating things up, as they are undefeated so far.