Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spirituality, Mysticism, and Personal Experience in Relation to Psychedelics

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy The Pimp View Post
    Spirituality and psychedelics shouldn't be lumped into the same field. I know there are some cultures that use Peyote and what not in their religion and I'm sure they don't consider it a psychedelic.
    Same goes for mysticism and psychedelics........it just doesn't mesh right.
    you are wrong

they go hand in hand and are called 'entheogens'.

An entheogen ("creates god within," en εν- "in, within," theo θεος- "god, divine," -gen γενος "creates, generates"),[1]

in the strict sense, is a psychoactive substance used in a religious, shamanic or spiritual context. Historically, entheogens were mostly derived from plant sources and have been used in a variety of traditional religious contexts. Most entheogens do not produce drug dependency.[2] With the advent of organic chemistry, there now exist many synthetic substances with similar psychoactive properties. Entheogens are tools to supplement various practices for healing and transcendence, including in meditation, psychonautics, art projects, and psychedelic therapy.

More broadly, the term entheogen is used to refer to any psychoactive substances when used for their religious or spiritual effects, whether or not in a formal religious or traditional structure. This terminology is often chosen to contrast with recreational use of the same substances. Spiritual effects of psychedelic compounds have been demonstrated scientifically,[3] though current research is limited due to drug prohibition.

Examples of traditional entheogens include: Greek: kykeon, ambrosia; African: Iboga; Vedic: Soma, Amrit; Native American: Peyote [North], Ayahuasca [South]. Other traditional entheogens include cannabis. Entheogens have been used in a ritualized context for thousands of years; their religious significance is well established in anthropological and modern evidences. Many pure active compound with psychoactive properties have been isolated from entheogens and chemical synthesized, including mescaline, psilocin/psilocybin, ibogaine and salvinorin.

please dont talk of what u dont know
    We do it for the people.

Keep it up guys, great thoughts so far. I'd like to have a few other personal experiences as well -- see if others' first times mesh with mine.

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    Your lacking in knowledge friend.
    Do you have something to constructive to say?

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    you are wrong

they go hand in hand and are called 'entheogens'.

please dont talk of what u dont know

Nigga quotes wikipedia and all of a sudden he's a mother fuckin scholar.

Who here has been to a peyote meeting/native american church?

Who here claims they've been to a real sweat lodge and not to one of the the new age phonies?

These are my people, the kind I build with daily, so like I said- people don't like their medicines to be dropped in the same category as acid and some of the other shit mentioned. And even then there is only a small population of people that use *SOME* of the natural substances mentioned. People DON'T like their spirituality to be implied that it's equal to mysticism or something MYSTICAL and mysterious. We've been doing this for years.

Appropriate terms for this thread would've been:

Science, Mystery, and the effect of substances on the brain.

And even deeper discussion would be:

The effects of man made (exploited) substances versus herbs and medicines and how they effect the brain.

Veteran Member

Slippy speaks with experience.

Sid, I don't know what you are talking about? Ok. It is one thing to say you have insights as a result of ingesting chemicals, and it is another to say the insights you have as a result of ingesting those chemicals give you "insights most people don't find in their entire lifetime".

That statement is logically incorrect as you have no way of knowing what other insights people have or lack.

If you thought something as a result of your insights, what makes you think the billions of people who have walked the earth before you did not think of it before.

This is what I'm talking about when referring to your lack of humbleness. Thinking you have what others have not (without proof) LOCKS YOUR MIND and prevents you from going to the next level.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Do you have something to constructive to say?
    You could say its a superficial experiance of the other side. I'd say superficial because you have no control over a psycadelic experiance. Id like to seperate LSD/Acid from natural etheogens like mescaline (peyote), Salvia, Ayahuasca that are used by Shamans. LSD is a man made substance.

Shamans, especially in south america, though, do have control over their psychedelic experiance and alledgedly use these etheogens to contact ancestors and spirits. The etheogens shamans use are the very root of their psychedelic experiance. Theres evidence the Native americans have been using Mescaline since 4000BC, same and probably even longer than the shamans in south america whove been using mushrooms and ayahuasca for spirtual guides. This is not the same as modern recreational use where people have no idea on how to use their experiance for anything other than a "viewing".

I think they are tuning your brain frequency into the atomic quantum "void". Atoms are 99% nothing ness, and as atoms makes up everything in existence, this creates a problem, it would mean we are also nothing ness. THis is what ancient hindu, greek, south american scholers already knew, without quantum physics. See things like the Mandala, its a buddisht and hindu "representation of the un concious self". Which is basically what etheogens are doing, they are giving you a window to your unconcious self.

Which is about as spiritual as you can possibly get.

Which is also why etheogens are highly illegalised by the government, even though they pose very little health risks.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    You could say its a superficial experiance of the other side. I'd say superficial because you have no control over a psycadelic experiance. Id like to seperate LSD/Acid from natural etheogens like mescaline (peyote), Salvia, Ayahuasca that are used by Shamans. LSD is a man made substance.

Shamans, especially in south america, though, do have control over their psychedelic experiance and alledgedly use these etheogens to contact ancestors and spirits. The etheogens shamans use are the very root of their psychedelic experiance. Theres evidence the Native americans have been using Mescaline since 4000BC, same and probably even longer than the shamans in south america whove been using mushrooms and ayahuasca for spirtual guides. This is not the same as modern recreational use where people have no idea on how to use their experiance for anything other than a "viewing".

I think they are tuning your brain frequency into the atomic quantum "void". Atoms are 99% nothing ness, and as atoms makes up everything in existence, this creates a problem, it would mean we are also nothing ness. THis is what ancient hindu, greek, south american scholers already knew, without quantum physics. See things like the Mandala, its a buddisht and hindu "representation of the un concious self". Which is basically what etheogens are doing, they are giving you a window to your unconcious self.

Which is about as spiritual as you can possibly get.

Which is also why etheogens are highly illegalised by the government, even though they pose very little health risks.
    It should be mentioned that there were many different tribes in North and South America that had a wide range of beliefs, and their cultures and spirituality shouldn't be generalized.

Peyote is not illegal for Native Americans. The laws very in each state.

i prolly have the most experience with LSD/Shroom/MDMA on this forum.
    here's my take...

these substances are good for stripping your mind of cultural/social programming, allowing you to see the world unobstructed.

they only point to the door but you have to walk thru it. otherwise you are just looking at all the cool stuff thru the peephole.

that being said.
    they are basically training wheels.
    once you learn where the door is and how to open it, you won't need or want to use these them.

i will elaborate on this point in an hour or so. i gotta make a run, ironically for some weed.

Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post

they only point to the door but you have to walk thru it. otherwise you are just looking at all the cool stuff thru the peephole.

that being said.
    they are basically training wheels.
    once you learn where the door is and how to open it, you won't need or want to use these them.
    yeah that's exactly what I commented on about SID's post earlier
    and I've only done shrooms 8-12 times, never LSD or any other trippin drug

Question

im stuck in the door
    Last edited by Marlo Stanfield; 11-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Last edited by Marlo Stanfield; 11-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Ok theres a door. Weve established that. How about getting deeper.

But whats behind the door is what I was trying to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Slippy speaks with experience.

Sid, I don't know what you are talking about? Ok. It is one thing to say you have insights as a result of ingesting chemicals, and it is another to say the insights you have as a result of ingesting those chemicals give you "insights most people don't find in their entire lifetime".

That statement is logically incorrect as you have no way of knowing what other insights people have or lack.

If you thought something as a result of your insights, what makes you think the billions of people who have walked the earth before you did not think of it before.

This is what I'm talking about when referring to your lack of humbleness. Thinking you have what others have not (without proof) LOCKS YOUR MIND and prevents you from going to the next level.
    You have no idea what i even mean by "insights" you have to have taken psychedelics to understand what i mean, the distortions in consciousness make you question the very nature of reality, its an introspective journey that has given me PERSONAL insights.

I'm humble. Take 2 tabs and call me in the morning
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SID View Post
    You have no idea what i even mean by "insights" you have to have taken psychedelics to understand what i mean, the distortions in consciousness make you question the very nature of reality, its an introspective journey that has given me PERSONAL insights.

I'm humble. Take 2 tabs and call me in the morning

I don't need to take psychedelics to understand you. I've had distortions in consciousness without drugs and without the intention to do so many times throughout my life. I've seen and heard things that told me there is much more to the human experience than what some would like to believe.

I've talked about some of my experiences before in other threads.

I have insights, maybe not the same as yours, and I don't need drugs for them. They come to me naturally.

kool
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water