Thread: Beat Battle Introduction

Default Beat Battle Introduction

I got a PM today from a member wanting to know whatever whatever about battles and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to write up the basics and post them here. it seems pretty self explanatory, but a lot of cats still show up and go about it backwards, so from now on why not have a thread to send them to?

12welve, feel free to edit this, trim down anything you think is unnecessary or add shit that might be useful etc.

BEAT BATTLE BASICS

=================================

the first thing that is determined is who is taking part in the battle, meaning everybody that's competing. you can make challenges or accept a challenge and they can be direct were a specific producer gets called out or indirect where anybody can join. if you want the battle to be 1 on 1, say so up front. after the challenge has been accepted it's 3 steps:

1. once you decide who all is battling, you set the rules. they should be agreed on by everybody participating, particularly if it's 1 on 1. if you want to play by specific rules, make a challenge, as mentioned above, by posting a new thread in the battle arena and list the rules up front. keep the guidelines to a minimum though, battles are a pain if they got too much extra bullshit and cats are less likely to join, but sometimes if you feel like goin with a theme like 'west coast style' or 'no samples allowed' it's just whatever, feel free to be creative.

[note: it's an unspoken rule amongst beatmakers in the booth that live instrumentation and virtual instruments (vsti) aren't allowed in a sample battle. if you plan on using them, make mention of it up front, otherwise it's up to your opponent whether the battle will be considered a no contest]

once all that's decided, get somebody who is not involved with the battle to provide a sample if you're using one. if you're not using one, move onto step 2. the sample needs to be from a neutral, third party because if a competing producer picks it, then nobody knows for sure if that producer made the beat for the battle or if they're just pulling one of their best beats that they already made, so ask for a sample and wait til one (or more) is provided, if everybody involved agrees on the sample(s) move one to step two.

2. set a due date if you wish, usually a week is more than enough time and then make a beat following the guidelines. samples are usually better for battles, because it proves that you made the beat for the battle and it's not a previously made beat, but you can also set rules to ensure this. once again, it's up to the participants to decide.
    you can use drums from another song, or drum kits, or play your own fucking drums, there aren't usually rules concerning drums unless you agreed on any.

samples from other songs other than the one provided are usually prohibited in a sample battle, but dialogue and background noise from movies is generally okay. try and use as little as extra shit as you can, don't try and blur the lines between sampling movies and sampling songs, like using background music in a movie sample as the basis for your beat. keep it simple.

3. Private Message your beat to either Bronze Feet or Infinity, who will be assisting with the beat battles. Posting your beat before the other contestent allows them to hear your beat and re make theres based on it. One of us will make your poll and voting thread.

Also, as a side note- PLEASE DO NOT USE ZSHARE!!!!

Box.net is a good substitute or some other uploader, just not zshare

that should be everything, any questions hit me up.

Last edited by THE MASON; 03-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Right on the money.

thanks for the info...cuz i didnt know! now i do

a.k.a Zatan Yakuza yakuzas_krew's Avatar

Nice and simple XD
    No Hablo English!!!! very well XD
    My beats

yeah just to touch on 2 things.

you cant make a poll option in a thread in the battle section if you are not a mod.

and 2 - thats cool and all to post up your beat when you are done with it but the thing is that we are holding votes and the vote element gets effected by submitting the beats early. If one challenger hears the others beat before they post their own beat -whos to say somebody wont go back and bite your chops?? flip their shit the way you did? (that aint right) and then if you post up a beat as soon as you done without there being a poll thread set up -ppl will come in the OG thread and start voting by reply and then the votes get scattered.

idk , this is just something I thought was like common knowledge or unspoken rule but I see differently when ppl have been going about battling lately. maybe they just dont know or whatever.

updated slightly

hahah I remember when zshare used to be the shit. Box.net is cool ,when you upload to them it takes a lil longer than zshare but I hear ya though. What is it about zshare that isnt poppin any more? All the pop-ups?? lol

pop ups and viruses

it makes my IE crash when i open it, most of the time not all tho. and yes, i still use IE

why you still use IE? that shit crashes on everything. I feel sorry for having you open all my zsahare links now , lol , cuz I already know what happens with IE.

Firefox for life!lmao

word, what y'all are sayin does make a lot more sense, I was plannin on PMin my beat to bronze in the battle vs noodles, but he had already posted his beat before I was finished.

and you know you're gonna listen to it if the other person posts it early, haha.