Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Do Agree With Allen Iverson And Some Other NBA Players That...........

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Zeke, stop making dumb ass threads.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Playing in the NBA isn't like having a real job.

it's exactly like having a real job. they get paid to perform a service. the better they do, the more they will get paid. they have bosses that they have to answer to.

and it has nothing to do with how much they get paid. just because they get paid millions of dollars doesn't mean they should have to or not have to wear a suit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Whatever NickyTooch. Playing in the NBA isn't like having a real job. So why should the players have to wear businesslike attire to the games before they play? They should wear what they wanna wear before the games. Like Alcatraz said, David Stern is a faggot LOL. LOL@stuff Alcatraz was saying that David might force the players to do next hahahahahaha.
    Charles you wre a janitor right? Im sure you have to wear dickies or whatever and had a dress code.

You work at McDonalds you have a dress code.

Pretty much every job in American has one.

NBA players have a dress code when they step on to the court

They are free to give up their salary, quit the NBA and wear whatever they want, anytime.

You're an idiot for even thinking about this and making a thread like this and its perfectly fitting that alcatraz agreed with you.

Quote Originally Posted by NickyTooch View Post
    its perfectly fitting that alcatraz agreed with you.
    "The skywalker, that be leapin' over planets"

And why the fuck are there such strict dress codes at work places? Because the company wants to look dependable and professional, and people who want to get ahead want to look like they care. Do these motivations really translate to the NBA? The players jobs are to a play a game. If you infer from the way they dress that they're not professional enough to a play a game you are retarded. If you are a good player management won't give a shit what you wear (within reason). The players work clothes are his uniform. Players who aren't playing don't do anything and are basically fans. They should comply with the dress code of the attending public.

Also, its culturally monopolistic to assume there is only one style of dress that is respectable. Wearing a tie doesn't change your attitude about anything, all the NBA is doing is catering to people who think it does.

Banned

Rappers have dress codes too

if you dont adhere to the hip hop look, you will be ridiculed and your credibility destroyed.

Players who dont play are still part of the team. When you are in the building, you are at work, hence you will dress accordingly.

Grow up kids. Grow up.

Well yeah, that's precisely the point. It wasn't like players were dressing up bummy, they were dressing like NBA players with their own code and their own style. Clearly nobody was being ridiculed because they weren't wearing suits, they would be ridiculed if they weren't dressing fresh. If they were being ridiculed it was from a more traditional external perspective, but who cares if country singers make fun of the way rappers dress?

Stern imposing a dress code is like making rappers dress like country singers.

Also, Stern doesn't fucking pay their salaries. The owners do. I think it should have been up to the individual franchises to decide. It is more interesting and insightful to the nature of discipline vs freedom, to let different teams have different cultures and see which one wins, if dress code matters at all. (which it probably doesn't).

Stop demanding reproduction.

Banned

What are you talking about?

The reason they made them have a dress code is because they WERE dressing bummy. They looked like they just rolled out of bed threw on a tshirt and jeans and went up to the arena.

Its not that deep dude.....get over it.

It looks more professional. They are not telling them they all have to wear black suits. They have a variety of choice within what they can wear within formal limits.

On a side note,
    I liked the NBA days better when a headband was a unique thing to see. Clifford Robinson.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clan Destine View Post
    Also, Stern doesn't fucking pay their salaries. The owners do. I think it should have been up to the individual franchises to decide.
    the individual owners decided to hire stern as commissioner to make and enforce the rules.

by the way, how come none of you fags are bringing up the new york yankees and their strict personal appearance policies. johnny damon, randy johnson, jason giambi and roger clemens all had to cut their hair or shave their beards before joining the yankees. also, don mattingly was benched when he grew his hair too long and they didn't play him until he cut it.

Banned

i think we all kno why they dont say anything about that...

I have brought that up in the baseball thread that it's stupid you can't have a little facial hair on the Yankees. I'm not talking a long beard, but come on now.

Banned

you can have facial hair. you are allowed to have a moustache

lol sounds like the Weis grocery store I used to work at years back. One guy had a big bushy mustache covering up his mouth, but I would get told to shave for having a little stubble on my chin.

Quote Originally Posted by NickyTooch View Post
    What are you talking about?

The reason they made them have a dress code is because they WERE dressing bummy. They looked like they just rolled out of bed threw on a tshirt and jeans and went up to the arena.
    It looks more professional. They are not telling them they all have to wear black suits. They have a variety of choice within what they can wear within formal limits.

Its not that deep dude.....get over it.
    Your whole point about rappers was about a different, distinct, respectable code and being ridiculed by their peers. They weren't being ridiculed by each other for the way they dressed. "Looking professional" didn't prevent Arenas' gun show.

I don't really care now how they dress now that they changed it. I'm not the one vouching for a new imposition, or can't get over the fact NBA players could wear what they wanted, but its silly to believe in first place that it mattered what they wore, that it'll change anything, or that they HAVE to dress a certain was based on some analogies to the 'real world' and 'growing up'.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    the individual owners decided to hire stern as commissioner to make and enforce the rules.

by the way, how come none of you fags are bringing up the new york yankees and their strict personal appearance policies. johnny damon, randy johnson, jason giambi and roger clemens all had to cut their hair or shave their beards before joining the yankees. also, don mattingly was benched when he grew his hair too long and they didn't play him until he cut it.

Yes I understand that Stern was a consensus pick of the owners but this where the analogies to a typical job are poor. Its not like the guy who pays you in your job has to listen the ideas of a league commissioner type who doesn't pay you salary directly and is paid by the owners just like you.

So what about the Yankees? Why does one situation have mimic another exactly just because they're similar? Everybody hates the Yankees and I hate most of those baseball players. They deserve each other. The Yankees rules are specific to their franchise and Steinbrenner's legacy. It's a cunty thing to do but the Yankees win, mostly because they can afford the best. It's an interesting and distinct part of the baseball culture. The Evil Empire that everybody loves to hate.