Thread: can't put bluray movies/files on my flash drive

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Default can't put bluray movies/files on my flash drive

i got a 16g flash drive and the movies are all around 4g each....it says there isnt enough space on the disk when i go to put one on. anybody know why?

John W. Henry

if the flash drive is formatted to FAT32 it can only store individual files of up to 4gb.

unless you are transferring bluray files to PS3, format to NTFS. If this is a PS3 related topic, give me a shout. I had an annoying time sorting my external to hold BluRay for the PS3, but managed it in the end - with a dodgy app.

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

thanks Tage.....yea i'm trying to put them on my flash so i can watch them thru my ps3. i dont really know how to format/change format and all that, you might have to school me real quick. In the near future i will be getting a bigger flash or might even go with an external. i appreciate the help man

John W. Henry

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Miliato
    Ayo Tage, I got my flash formatted to NTFS but now my ps3 wont recognize it...any suggestions?
    ^that's why I said "unless you are using for PS3 - format to NTFS".. PS3s can only recognise FAT32.

its annoying... as far as I'm aware you cannot have files larger than 4gb on a PS3(transferred from an external drive), under the Sony firmware.

most likely the BluRay file you downloaded(assuming?) is in .mkv format (yup - PS3's cannot read that format either... ha!)... so what you have to do is find a converter - i use mkv2vob - you have to convert to MPEG-2, in FAT32 format (it will split into parts of no more than 4gb).

you're lucky your drive is under 16gb... anything over 32gb Windows won't format into FAT32. apps like swissknife and the DOS trick didnt work for my 320gb ext, and i found a sketchy little app. so it can be done over 32gb, just takes a little bit of googling.