0 0%
  • 1: Waccadoccious

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong Arm Steady - "In Search of Stoney Jackson"

Default Strong Arm Steady - "In Search of Stoney Jackson"

01. "Best Of Times" (ft. Phonte)
    02. "Cheeba Cheeba"
    03. "Chittlins & Pepsi" (ft. Planet Asia)
    04. "Telegram"
    05. "Questions" (ft. Planet Asia & Fashawn)
    06. "Smile"
    07. "New Love" (ft. Planet Asia & Tri-State)
    08. "Get Started" (ft. Talib Kweli)
    09. "Interlude #1"
    10. "Pressure" (ft. Sick Jacken & Mitchy Slick)
    11. "True Champ" (ft. Evidence, Oh No, Roc C & Montage-1)
    12. "Needle In The Haystack" (ft. Roscoe & Guilty Simpson)
    13. "Interlude #2"
    14. "Ambassadors" (ft. Planet Asia & Chase Infinite)
    15. "Chants"
    16. "Bark Like A Dog" (ft. Phats Bossalini & Montage-1)
    17. "Two Pistols" (ft. Mitchy Slick)
    18. "Outro"

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

imma give it a 3.5 even tho that aint on there. best of times is one of the best songs ive heard in awhile. the production is great but wasn't feelin phil da agony on here. is flow is kinda fucked up lol. mitchy slick is hardly even on there. to me this just felt weird cuz it didn't feel like a strong arm steady album. it didn't really go hard at all.

^ yep listened through it yesterday night for the first time and on first listen i'd give it about 3.5 too. i'm not too familiar with Strong Arm Steady but they had a few interesting things to say and their lyricism was pretty on point. production was tight but i was expecting a little bit more, starts out really strong but slacks off abit. definitely worth checking tho!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

SHAOLIN STUDENT

havent found a torrent yet..... no $$ to buy the cd

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

havent listened to it in a couple weeks but id rate it as "good". phil da agony and krondon 2 of my favorite mc's madlibs one of my favorite producers, so im SLIGHTY dissapointed this album wasnt better. phil da agony came thru but krondon wasnt on his best shit imo.

again its been a little while since i heard i might come back with a better review but I can remember that 2 pistols was my favorite track on it, by a long way.

It's a good album, that I think sounds better in headphones and I agree, Phil Da Agony sounds weird at times and Krondon isn't that great on this either, "True Champs" is the joint for me, good to hear Evidence, Oh No, Fashawn and Planet Asia on this album.
    Last edited by crds; 01-18-2010 at 05:05 AM.

actually, I have listened to it more and it's really growing on me.

these cats cool.There were a couple of bangers on the album. they just had a release party in LA for the album, that was cracking. i have some footage of it here

http://www.youtube.com/soprup#p/u/1/RO8oXWgMNm0

http://www.youtube.com/soprup#p/u/0/XU7yhomX-OU

http://www.youtube.com/soprup#p/u/0/XU7yhomX-OU

Enjoy.

The beats on this album are ridiculous. However, I was a little dissapointed by Strong Arm Steady’s lyrical performance. I’m hoping Madlib comes with the some formula on OJ Simpson (Guily Simpson collabo).

Top 5: Best Of Times, Cheeba Cheeba, Questions, True Champs, Two Pistols
    Grade: (3.5/5) B

banger. downloaded it long time ago, more then two months ago and i still enjoy some of the tracks on it! and this is crazy cuz i dont like madlib usualy.

Telegram for me sir... what does it say....................

Absolutley ill little interlude, I'm glad SAS chose not to spit over that one cos it's perfect as it is! It was originally on one of the Madlib Mind Fusion mixes with RZA spitting over it! It's better just being instrumental though!

Peace!

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    Telegram for me sir... what does it say....................

Absolutley ill little interlude, I'm glad SAS chose not to spit over that one cos it's perfect as it is! It was originally on one of the Madlib Mind Fusion mixes with RZA spitting over it! It's better just being instrumental though!

Peace!
    absolutely LOVE that beat....can u hook up that Rza version???

i'd never heard of Strong Arm Steady before but i checked this out because of Madlib and I've been listening to it for about a week now....at first I wasn't crazy about the lyrics but, the more I've listened, I'm really feelin this album entirely..

for me, I'd go as far as giving it a 4 maybe 4.5.....some of the beats are AMAZING, the lyrics have a few weak moments but overall I'm diggin em..Planet Asia's appearances are GREAT..

my favorite joints are:
    -Best of Times
    -Cheeba Cheeba
    -Chittlins and Pepsi (my girl is vegan so i can relate to this entire song...shop at all the grocery stores they mention lol)
    -Questions
    -True Champs (beat is SIIIIIICK)

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

this is already the 3rd Madlib album of the year..

haven't heard the first one with Guilty Simpson yet but the Flight to Brazil wasn't hip hop shit at all.....pretty cool little tape but no hip hop instrumentals..

what do we think of the Medicine Show so far??

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    absolutely LOVE that beat....can u hook up that Rza version???

i'd never heard of Strong Arm Steady before but i checked this out because of Madlib and I've been listening to it for about a week now....at first I wasn't crazy about the lyrics but, the more I've listened, I'm really feelin this album entirely..

for me, I'd go as far as giving it a 4 maybe 4.5.....some of the beats are AMAZING, the lyrics have a few weak moments but overall I'm diggin em..Planet Asia's appearances are GREAT..

my favorite joints are:
    -Best of Times
    -Cheeba Cheeba
    -Chittlins and Pepsi (my girl is vegan so i can relate to this entire song...shop at all the grocery stores they mention lol)
    -Questions
    -True Champs (beat is SIIIIIICK)

Yeah I'll hook that Telegram/RZA joint up hopefully tomorrow. It's just RZA's verse from 'La Rhumba' but it still sounds ill on that Telegram beat, Madlib lets the beat play alot longer on that version too compared to the 'Stoney Jackson' version.

Back to the album though, I'm still loving it, although I do think the beginning of the album is the weakest. I find myself skipping the first 3 joints and starting the album at 'Telegram'.

SAS are pretty decent, not the best lyricists, they seriously get outshone every time Planet Asia shows up on a track. And Chace Infinite absolutley murks the two joints that he's on!!!

Favourite joints at the moment are...

Ambassadors (BEST SONG OF THE ALBUM, Seriously bangs HARD!!!)
    Telegram
    Questions
    New Love
    Two Pistols

Also, I dont know if anyone checked them out, but apart from the album, there's been about 6 joints released that didnt make the final album... apparently SAS rapped over about 35 Madlib beats and then they narrowed it down to the final album. But Stones Throw have been releasing some of the other joints too. There was a bonus 45 which included 2 joints...

1. Soul 4 Real
    2. Life feat. Skinhead Rob

The 'Best Of Times' vinyl single included a new B-Side...

1. Follow Me

And there were 3 tracks released on the Stones Throw website too...

1. Get Ya Money Right feat. Defari & RES
    2. Loose Girl feat. Jacka
    3. Jordache Look feat. Bad Lucc

If you enjoyed the album, you need to check these joints too. The tracks off the Bonus 45 are just as bangin as the album itself!!!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    this is already the 3rd Madlib album of the year..

haven't heard the first one with Guilty Simpson yet but the Flight to Brazil wasn't hip hop shit at all.....pretty cool little tape but no hip hop instrumentals..

what do we think of the Medicine Show so far??
    Alot of people were disappointed with Medicine Show #1, I dunno why, I think it's pretty good if you take it for what it is... a prelude to the proper Madlib & Guilty Simpson album - OJ SIMPSON!!!

Medicine Show #2 was dope too, but obviously not from a Hip-Hop perspective. I love Madlib's mixes, he seems to find the most obscure records all the time!

Medicine Show #3 is dropping in about 2 weeks time... Beat Konducta In Africa!!! Cant wait for that one, already got mine pre-ordered!!!

The one I'm looking forward to most though is the OJ SIMPSON album! It's due to drop on May 18th! The 'Coroner's Music' 12" vinyl that they released last year was fuckin' bangin' and there's been a couple of OJ tracks released through the Stones Throw website since then too, as well as Medicine Show #1: Before The Verdict. My hopes are very high for this album!!!

Peace!