Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beastie Boys

Cream of the Corp

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    really?
    Is Outkast Hip-Hop?
    Wyclef walks around w/ a guitar like he's Hendrix or Clapton or something.
    But all his songs are samples, he can't be taken seriously (IMO)
    He makes a lot of stuff that I would not call hip-hop

Outkast is only hip-hop when they're not doing that "other stuff" like Hey-Ya and what not.

These people being quoted can have love for the beastie boys as
    "pioneers"(I would not use this word)

But if they are "pioneers" name me a rapper that patterned their style after the beastie boys'
    What MC did their style influence?
    If they're so important to hip-hop

^^^hmmm
    they didnt influence a lot of rappers, probably just art rock types in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by june181972 View Post

Outkast is only hip-hop when they're not doing that "other stuff" like Hey-Ya and what not.
    Hey Ya, while technically not Hip-Hop, is a song by Outkast, who are a Hip-Hop group

These people being quoted can have love for the beastie boys as
    "pioneers"(I would not use this word)

But if they are "pioneers" name me a rapper that patterned their style after the beastie boys'
    What MC did their style influence?
    If they're so important to hip-hop
    So pioneers are only pioneers if Mcs rap in their styles? That's new to me.
    What mcs rap like Run DMC? Kool Moe Dee?

They are pioneers because they showed that Hip-Hop is universal, and helped rap gain popularity in its early days. 3rd Bass, Eminem and every other white rapper owes them(and has given them) gratitude.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Cream of the Corp

Kool Moe Dee influenced Chuck D, lyrical content and flow

run dmc have always been mediocre MCs, commercialized and packaged with dreams of getting burn on MTV (IMO)
    I never heard anyone say "that dude run" or "that dude dmc is nice as hell on the mic"
    Have you?
    They never influenced anyone's style
    They are put on a pedastle, like beastie boys, because of rite place rite time.

"Immitation is the best form of flattery"

Hey Ya, while technically not Hip-Hop, is a song by Outkast, who are a Hip-Hop group

They are pioneers because they showed that Hip-Hop is universal, and helped rap gain popularity in its early days. 3rd Bass, Eminem and every other white rapper owes them(and has given them) gratitude.
    WHAT!
    3rd Bass dont owe the beasties shit!
    they were freestylin real shit before the beasties even put their guitars down
    and pete nice and mc serch are better than any member of the beasties, they represented the real while the beasties were on some pop shit, beasties are still dope, but 'fight for your right....' is like the biggest piece of shit ever
    3rd bass are GOATS also i dont think 3rd bass ever gave the beasties gratitude, check 'sons of 3rd bass'
    basically ad rock aint fit to clean petes cane

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Wu Masta View Post
    WHAT!
    3rd Bass dont owe the beasties shit!
    they were freestylin real shit before the beasties even put their guitars down
    and pete nice and mc serch are better than any member of the beasties, they represented the real while the beasties were on some pop shit, beasties are still dope, but 'fight for your right....' is like the biggest piece of shit ever
    3rd bass are GOATS
    you missed the point of the post
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Kool Moe Dee influenced Chuck D, lyrical content and flow

run dmc have always been mediocre MCs, commercialized and packaged with dreams of getting burn on MTV (IMO)
    I never heard anyone say "that dude run" or "that dude dmc is nice as hell on the mic"
    Have you?
    They never influenced anyone's style
    They are put on a pedastle, like beastie boys, because of rite place rite time. "Immitation is the best form of flattery"
    so now you're saying Run DMC aren't pioneers either?

oh yeah?
    what was your point then?
    That 3rd Bass, being white, benefitted from the Beastie Boys being so popular. They did not have to prove that whites had a place in a Hip-Hop group, that was already done.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

but you said they owe the beasties gratitude
    they didnt, they were makin real hip hop, they earned their own respect within the black/hip hop community through being able to spit real shit, not because the beasties had made white rappers the new fad, they were separate from all that

Cream of the Corp

To me, being a pioneer and being a great MC will not always go hand in hand

Has history and commercial success made run dmc pioneers? Of course

Are they hot MCs? Not by a long shot

but you said they owe the beasties gratitude
    they didnt, they were makin real hip hop, they earned their own respect within the black/hip hop community through being able to spit real shit, not because the beasties had made white rappers the new fad, they were separate from all that
    No one said anything about a fad.
    Besides a fad would mean there were a bunch of white rappers running around, which wasn't the case.

It's simple.It was easier for 3rd Bass to become popular because there was already a popular group of white rappers. Understand?

To me, being a pioneer and being a great MC will not always go hand in hand

Has history and commercial success made run dmc pioneers? Of course

Are they hot MCs? Not by a long shot
    ummm That's exactly what I'm saying.

You don't need to like the group, just appreciate their contributions.

Why don't we hold this discussion until after The VH1 Hip-Hop Honors.
    Honoring:
    Eazy-E
    Ice Cube
    Afrika Bambaataa
    Russell Simmons
    MC Lyte
    Rakim
    Beastie Boys
    Wu-Tang Clan

Not that they're an authority, but they will be able to put things in a better perspective.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

No one said anything about a fad.
    Besides a fad would mean there were a bunch of white rappers running around, which wasn't the case.

It's simple.It was easier for 3rd Bass to become popular because there was already a popular group of white rappers. Understand?

ummm That's exactly what I'm saying.

You don't need to like the group, just appreciate their contributions.

Why don't we hold this discussion until after The VH1 Hip-Hop Honors.
    Honoring:
    Eazy-E
    Ice Cube
    Afrika Bambaataa
    Russell Simmons
    MC Lyte
    Rakim
    Beastie Boys
    Wu-Tang Clan

Not that they're an authority, but they will be able to put things in a better perspective.
    you implied it was a fad, i dont think the cats who copped licensed to ill copped the cactus album as well
    "It was easier for 3rd Bass to become popular because there was already a popular group of white rappers"
    i understand...but thats not what you said, stop trying to twist your own words
    that dont really make sense anyway, cos it wasnt the same demographic that copped the cactus album, the beasties were pop, they sold a LOT of records, i doubt 3rd bass sold half of what public enemy did at the time
    3rd bass werent popular, they were underground, especially for def jam at the time, only cats that copped their album was real hip hop heads, they had a little crossover success dissing vanilla ice a few years later, but that was it.
    the beasties and 3rd bass make entirely different hip hop records
    beasties sold to whites
    3rd bass sold to blacks as well (but this meant they were underground because the kind of shit they said on their records was political/social not about drinking/partying like the beasties usd to be)
    as i said before 3rd bass dont owe the beasties shit, they were the first group to be accepted as a legitimate white rap group, beasties to most at the time were a pop fad, hence the beasties disowning 'licensed to ill' years later
    and 3rd bass didnt get many record sales extra because of beastie boys fans

That 3rd Bass, being white, benefitted from the Beastie Boys being so popular. They did not have to prove that whites had a place in a Hip-Hop group, that was already done.
    you implied it was a fad, i dont think the cats who copped licensed to ill copped the cactus album as well
    "It was easier for 3rd Bass to become popular because there was already a popular group of white rappers"
    i understand...but thats not what you said, stop trying to twist your own words
    that dont really make sense anyway, cos it wasnt the same demographic that copped the cactus album, the beasties were pop, they sold a LOT of records, i doubt 3rd bass sold half of what public enemy did at the time
    3rd bass werent popular, they were underground, especially for def jam at the time, only cats that copped their album was real hip hop heads, they had a little crossover success dissing vanilla ice a few years later, but that was it.
    the beasties and 3rd bass make entirely different hip hop records
    beasties sold to whites
    3rd bass sold to blacks as well (but this meant they were underground because the kind of shit they said on their records was political/social not about drinking/partying like the beasties usd to be)
    as i said before 3rd bass dont owe the beasties shit, they were the first group to be accepted as a legitimate white rap group, beasties to most at the time were a pop fad, hence the beasties disowning 'licensed to ill' years later
    and 3rd bass didnt get many record sales extra because of beastie boys fans
    I didn't twist anything you just didn't understand what i said.

The Beastie Boys were a pop? what is pop about Paul's Boutique? Hello Nasty? Those are progressive records. They were popular, but not by design.
    The fact still remains that The Beasties paved the way for 3rd Bass. Anyone with any sense will see that.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I didn't twist anything you just didn't understand what i said.

The Beastie Boys were a pop? what is pop about Paul's Boutique? Hello Nasty? Those are progressive records. They were popular, but not by design.
    The fact still remains that The Beasties paved the way for 3rd Bass. Anyone with any sense will see that.
    i did understand read my post again
    'licensed to ill' was a pop record, at the same time 3rd bass were raw
    peace

i did understand read my post again
    'licensed to ill' was a pop record, at the same time 3rd bass were raw
    peace
    Licensed to Ill - 1986

Paul's Boutique -1989

The Cactus Album-1989

As reported in many interviews, MC Serch at one point tried (unsuccessfully) to join the Beastie Boys.

- Kurt Vonnegut