Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Captain america. The first avenger

Default Captain america. The first avenger

With Iron Man and The Hulk out of the Way, Iron Man 2 coming in a few months and Thor currently shooting, the last Marvel movie before the big Avengers flick is Captain America and all of the questions surrounding it, like, who is going to play Captain America?

During today's press conference for The Wolf Man, Joe Johnston spoke about Captain America, where he's at as far as pre-production, and how the casting process is coming along:

How is pre-production going on your next film (Captain America) and are you planning on casting an American?

Johnston: Casting an American? Oh yeah. Absolutely. I don't think we could make the film without an American playing the part. We may not be casting in America because we're going to London. we'll probably shoot in the UK for most of it because it takes place in Europe but ya we'll definitely be casting (an American).

Johnston also mentions that Captain America will be shot in HD. Not shot in 3D, because now studios can do that in post, but no answer if Cap would be in 3D or not.

With Captain America do you see opportunities to have a different style to it, like Sam Raimi did with Spider-Man?

Johnston:
    We're definitely gonna shoot it in a different way than any of the other marvel pictures that have been shot. And what I'm trying to do is look at the comics. Most of the new ones. Most of the Brubaker series and to interpret that sort of visual style into a film in a way that I think has been tried before but it's never, it always looks like it's a little too on the nose, it looks like, "Oh, they're shooting a comic book movie." and I wanna try something a little bit different.

Have you nailed down what some of the big set pieces might be yet?

Johnston: Yes. We have. Right now it's , we have to sort of pick our battles because it's a little more than we can afford right now. But there's some great action sequences.

When you have an iconic character like that, is it more about finding the right person or are Marvel and others saying, "We need a big star."

Johnston: No. we're looking for a complete unknown.

So this is not going to be a big movie star taking this part.

Johnston: I hope not. I hope it'll be somebody that we discover and has never been, has probably been in something, but you won't know who he is. You won't recognize him. And we';ll surround him with more prominent names. That's who we're looking for. Will we find him? I don't know. It's tough.

Do you know when the goal is to have the casting done?

Johnston: March 1st.

And as an added bonus he also confirmed that the villain will be Red Skull.

So what are peoples thoughts?

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Captain America is an O.G. Too early to tell about the movie, actors haven't even been chosen for it.

villain shoulda been Hitler.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

red skulls a dope baddie even if darth maul did bite his style!

Some more info from the director

Newsarama has released their interview with Joe Johnston revealing a bit more for the First Avenger. Check It Out:

'What little is known about "The First Avenger: Captain America" is that it will be set in World War II, around the time of Pearl Harbor. Johnston told Newsarama that he is well aware of the potential risk in shooting a big-budget comic book period piece, but believes it's a story the fans will appreciate seeing unfold onscreen.

"You couldn't do a modern-day Captain America," Johnston said, "and then go back and tell the World War II origin story."

The film will be bookended with scenes set in the present day that presumably will set the stage for "The Avengers" movie.

"That's the way this story ends. [Cap] is...at the end of this film, he's been brought back and been unfrozen, revived and he is definitely a fish out of water. He's a 1942 guy in 2012...it's going to be a lot of fun."

Johnston pointed out that Cap's lack of superpowers are part of what makes him such a compelling character.

"He can die, he can be injured, you know, he can't see through walls and fly and do any of that stuff, we have some great action sequences that stay within the laws of physics...but he's not Superman."

Johnston, who prefers Ed Brubaker's current run on the series to the Cap stories of the 1960s and 70s, admits he wasn't a huge fan of the character or of comic books in general. But he believes that will serve him well on this project.

"I don't think you necessarily want the world's biggest Captain America fan to be directing this film," he said.

Johnston mentioned that one reason he wanted to do the origin story first was because the sequels would take place in the present day. That would indicate that the 'fish out of water' story element mentioned earlier will play a prominent role.

The First Avenger: Captain America is the pivotal piece in the entire Marvel movie puzzle. For an Avengers movie to succeed, Cap has to be a multiplex hero. Which is why it's not surprising to hear Johnston say the movie will feature links to the rest of what will become the Marvel Universe's most renowned super-team.

"We have stuff in our movie that relates to Thor, and we have stuff that relates to Iron Man and the fun is integrating it into the story. If you're a fan, you'll get it and you'll recognize it. If you're not a fan, it just becomes part of the story. We're sort of integrating 3-4 things that are links to the rest of the Marvel Universe. It’s not really difficult. The challenge is to make it seamless, and so it doesn't feel out of context."

Joe Johnston has let out a lot at the press conference yesterday, including casting, locations, costume, and the villain. Well now over at CHUD, editor, Devin Faraci, reveals his conversation with Joe, featuring The Invaders.

"Yesterday I talked with The First Avenger: Captain America director Joe Johnston at the press day for The Wolfman, and he revealed to me that The Invaders were going to be a major presence in the film. 'They'll be in the entire second half,' he said.

Johnston also told me that The Invaders will be six members strong, so if you add Bucky and the Red Skull The First Avenger: Captain America might very well feature nine costumed characters, surely some kind of a record outside of a straight up team franchise like X-Men.

Earlier during the press conference Johnston had said that his Captain America would be played (hopefully) by a newcomer and that he would surrounded by name actors. Could The Invaders be roles for better known actors? The European team is definitely included as a way to sell a movie with Captain America overseas (Feige said as much at Comic Con), so why not throw some name actors in there?

Who will be on The Invaders? Johnston wouldn't say, but here are some possibilities, based on the comics"

Method Man

{>____<}

It'd be sweet if the Falcon is in the movie.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

If the Falcon were to appear, it wouldn't be in this first film seeing as it's set predominately during WW2.

Method Man

i cant wait,been anticipating for this

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    thats dope.

here's brubaker's cap'n

thats so fucking dope

ok now i got ab it of chills

that might be the best movie poster i've ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post
    thats dope.

here's Steve Epting's cap'n
    fixed.

amazing poster tho.

Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post

This would make a great live action cap suit. It's works within a real world context. Too bad it's associated with Bucky as cap rather than steve rodgers.

Method Man