Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concept Albums

Default Concept Albums

What are your favourite ones and why are you so fond of them?

I am a big fan of concept albums and find no recording more impressive than a concept album done right. For me the ultimate concept album is Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. This album tells a cohesive story of the protagonist, Pink, who "builds a wall" to protect and hide himself from the people and events which bring about difficulty and pain in his life. The album then ends with Pink being "exposed before his peers" when the wall he has built is torn down during a trial in which he is condemned by the characters from the album which have brought about adversity through his life, and caused him to "build the wall".

The album sticks to this story through it's 2 discs, telling us the story of Pink from his birth through to his eventual condemnation and the destruction of his "wall". It is arranged in such a way that it flows expertly as it gradually reveals the story of Pink, with many of the tracks blending into one another to keep the story moving. And most importantly the music is great. As far as concept albums go this is about as good as it gets, imo. This is Roger Waters' creativity and vision at its best, with David Gilmour's musical touch most certainly not going unnoticed. The definitive concept album, imo.

Having said all that, I think 'The Dark Side of the Moon' is the greatest album I've ever heard, and it too is generally considered to be a concept album, and I would agree that it fits somewhere within that category of albums. However, the actual concept side of it is not at all where it shows its brilliance. It's very basic. Just a few songs about important aspects of life. Time, money, insanity etc. A brilliant album, but not an amazing concept album.

Radiohead's 'OK Computer' is often considered a concept album too. Again, a brilliant album, but not a brilliant concept album imo. Thom Yorke has said it himself that it was not intended to be a concept album.

I can't think of any other ones I'd care to mention right now. Let's hear about your favourites.

Keep firing, assholes! Mai Wang Tu Phat's Avatar

The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails.

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

I never heard those rock albums noel411, thanks for explaining the greatness behind their creative concept. I've heard good things about Pink Floyd & Radiohead.

I like some of the David Axelrod catalog as concept albums. Songs of Innocence is created and inspired by the writings of William Blake and Songs of Experience is "an anthology of awareness after birth composed and arranged by David A. Axelrod based on the 18th century poems of William Blake."

If there's anyone who I think of as a storyteller through music it's Axelrod. The flow of his albums feels like a movie to me, I read in an interview that it is his goal to make very cinematic music.

and for hip hop concept albums one of my favorites is the 1st Bobby Digital album and Dr. Octagon album with Kool Kieth & Automator. In those albums, the artists take a step outside their normal selves to tell a story.

this is a good one, im gonna think about it. be back..eloels.

When i was reading your post Noel, i was instantly reminded of Downward Spiral.

Both great concept albums.

Gilmour and the others should have let Water's stick to writing entire albums before recording them, instead of being bitches about it (well, maybe not, but i still think Gilmour is a cunt).
    Last edited by rainbow; 02-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Starvin' individuals kill Tommy's Avatar

I wouldn't call Dark Side of the Moon a concept album as it doesn't really follow a cohesive story, just touches on a few aspects of life as you said. The ones that spring to mind though would be Tommy by The Who, A Grand Don't Come For Free by The Streets, and I guess you could consider Sgt. Peppers a concept album.

Tommy is actually considered a "rock opera" rather than a concept album. It's been quite a while since I heard it but it's about a dumb, deaf, and blind kid who is exceptionally good at pinball (lol) who goes through some crazy events.

A lot of people hate on The Streets, and granted Mike Skinner isn't exactly Big Daddy Kane on the mic, but he does make some entertaining music. "A Grand Don't Come For Free" is an album that tells a short story through each track; it starts off with a man losing £1000 (hence the title), he then meets a girl and starts seeing her regularly, he tries to win back his money through gambling but misses out on the chance, he gets overly wrecked in a club on pills and booze, and the story goes on...

This album is well worth a listen, believe me.

The term "concept album" is so broad though.

Some would say that a concept album should not only an overarching them, but also a cohesive narrative which runs through it.

Terms like "rock opera" only muddy the waters further.

Anyway, another album which comes to mind is:

And this

And a couple of Ween albums, but off the top of my head i can't really remember if any of them are at all cohesive. I'll have to re listen and report back.

Prince Paul's A Prince among thieves is awesome and a very good concept, brilliant!

Starvin' individuals kill Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post

Anyway, another album which comes to mind is:

Ahh, good choice. That one slipped my mind.

A good hip hop example would be Deltron 3030. If I can remember rightly (I haven't listened to it in a good while) it's set in the year 3030 with Del's army of star troopers fighting against the government and other space armies in epic wars with lots of futuristic weapons. It's weird as a motherfucker, but it's still a very good album that is worth checking out; apparently this album was the major influence for Damon Albarn to start up Gorillaz as well.

ok people mentioned alot of shit i was going to...and thank god Tommy mentioned Tommy..eloels. and i woulda mentioned Ziggy if sean hadnt..so cool.

adore this album to death^^fantastic pop tunes, touching background.

some people dont realize this has a consisten narrative running throughout^^

this isnt fully a concept album...or atleast not in the sense that say, tommy is...but..

this is literally one of the most beautiful things i have ever heard, brilliant musicianship.

this can be considered a concept album too...and its just as brilliant (if not more) than Arthur.

these guys wail (hahaha)....

but seriously, they have 3 concept albums..but i felt like posting this one because its pretty under appreciated.

great shit^

sort of..

this is just recorded versions of songs he co wrote for a play he helped put together.

i kno im leaving out alot...but im tired...so thats what i got for now..eloels.

I'm gonna check out some of the albums mentioned here. Some of them I was already intending to check out after googling about concept albums a bit. I was actually dl'ing 'Tommy' when I posted this thread.

Hm, Sister is dope.

I haven't listened to that for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I wouldn't call Dark Side of the Moon a concept album as it doesn't really follow a cohesive story,
    I don't see how "concept album" needs to be a "one story album"..

Anyways, two of my three favorite albums ever are concept albums:

^^Dark storytelling like nothing else. Every song is a new story(-the last one) and Nick Cave is vivid like no other with the pen - and his voice brings it all to life so perfectly over intense, dark, at times chaotic and at times beautiful(most of you've probably heard Where The Wild Roses Grow) music by the bad seeds.

(sound's a bit weird, but fuckit)
    'Now I got shrinks that will not rest with their endless Rorschach tests
    I keep telling them that I think they're out to get me
    They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, "Why of course!
    There's so much more I could've done if they'd let me!"
    So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy'

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Sinclair View Post
    Tom Waits, Franks Wild Years

I once found on youtube a vintage interview of Tom on some old late night show back in I believe the mid 80's possibly '85 when I was born. He simply described the album as the story of an American Psychopath. These songs were used in a play as well, possibly the same or maybe different one than Dusk mentioned. I read elsewhere that the character he portrays is trying to "make it in New York City" but fails to accomplish anything in the end.

The Show "The Wire" even used the track "Way down in the hole" for their opening during a season.

I've never heard an album as bizarre as this one. It was so strange when I bought it, that I gave it one listen then ejected it from my cars CD player and didnt play for a couple of months until my mind was in the right place.

Its pretty dark & twisted but hilarious at times. Nice drinking music.
    great album..