Thread: Integrative Seminar Project: Music Industry's Control Over Its Artists and The Masses

PRODIGAL SUN

Default Integrative Seminar Project: Music Industry's Control Over Its Artists and The Masses

I'm working on my Integrative Seminar paper,
    the teacher told us we have to do it on something that has
    a group of people benefiting from the situation
    a group of people that are suffering from the situation
    and a history of the situation...

So I chose 'music' as the commodity,
    The Music Industry/Major Record Labels = The ones who Benefit
    The Artists and General Population = The ones who are Exploited

I need 16 sources for this paper,
    does anyone have any scholarly sources I can read and use for my paper?

I wanna write about how artists get paid like shit for their albums, and how they do not have freedom of speech because they are dictated on what is to be released, and if they do not release what the label wants them to release, then they will find a different artist to spit their message for them.

Also, I want to write how the music industry has a direct effect on the population, or the masses. The fads, all the trendy shit, comes from the music industry. The way people dress, talk, think, is through the messages dictated from what is in the mainstream radio.

all my sources have to be at least 15 pages long. they can be articles, journals, books, etc. I gotta heavily refer to the sources throughout the paper. Help a brother out.

These are 5 sources I have so far:

Barnet, Richard D., and Larry L. Burriss. Controversies of the Music Industry.
    Westport: Greenwood, 2001.

Barrett, Lindon. "Dead Men Printed: Tupac Shakur, Biggie Smalls, and Hip-Hop Eulogy." Callaloo 22 (1999(: 306-332. JSTOR. Web. 12 Feb. 2010.

Bernstein, Arthur, Naoki Sekine, and Dick Weissman. The Global Music Industry: Three Perspectives. New York: Routledge, 2007.

Mazullo, Mark. "Institutions, Technology, and Economics - The Man Who the World Sold: Kurt Cobain, Rock's Progressive Aesthetic, and the Challenges of Authenticit." The Musical Quarterly 84. 4 (2000) 713.

Park, David J. Conglomerate Rock: The Music Industry's Quest to Divide Music and Conquer Wallets. Lanham: Lexington Books, 2007.

Assistance is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Sham-iLL; 02-25-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Probally not a legitimate enough source but in a recent interview ice cube said somethign like "I don't know who to pay to get my shit on the radio" it's in hiphop shop

PRODIGAL SUN

nah it has to be a scholarly journal/article, but I found another one for the paper:

Negus, Keith. Musical Genres and Corporate Cultures. New York: Routledge, 1999.

does anyone have any scholarly sources I can read and use for my paper?
    try "watchdog for music industry", that should provide various articles

http://www.rapcoalition.org/The%20Industry.htm
    Last edited by SG; 03-17-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    BEZ
    Peace To New York