Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in a afterlife?

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    What you are imagining is that the brain is like the control panel or driver's seat of some vehicle and when the body dies, the consciousness just jumps out and goes on its merry way. I'm trying to tell you that the consciousness is like a film projection or audio recording. You damage the source material, you irreparably damage the image/audio. You destroy the source material, you destroy the entire image/audio. Same thing with consciousness and the brain.

if consciousness is like a recording, then who's watching the movie?
    damaged or otherwise. or is it an empty theater with the projector left on?

you didn't refute the concept of a ghost in the machine, all you've done is put the driver in the passenger's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    There are plenty of scientists that would disagree with you. I'm only basing my opinion on what I've read in scientific articles about the brain. The first mistake you make is thinking that everything has to come from a specific place in the brain. Even though certain structures in the brain are identified in playing a role in reasoning and emotion, they aren't discreet locations. Emotion and reasoning are distributed through various interworking parts of the brain. Consciousness isn't a separate entity from this, it's just a product of the working brain. You damage the material that makes up consciousness, and you damage consciousness.
    It's scientific fact, that different parts of the brain are responsible for different processes, you debating this fact is silly and pointless.

The cerebellum is responsible for the body's balance, posture, and the coordination of movement.

The neocortex is the center of higher-order thinking, learning, and memory

The brainstem controls breathing, heart rate, and other autonomic processes

The frontal lobes, which are involved in executive functions such as self-control, planning, reasoning, and abstract thought.

Frontal lobe—conscious thought; damage can result in mood changes.

Parietal lobe—plays important roles in integrating sensory information from various senses, and in the manipulation of objects; portions of the parietal lobe are involved with visuospatial processing.

Occipital lobe—sense of sight; lesions can produce hallucinations.

Temporal lobe—senses of smell and sound, as well as processing of complex stimuli like faces and scenes

Now try and find me a lobe or part of the brain that is the source or producer of consciousness, you won't because it is not part of the brain, it is ordained from a higher order that certain people are striving to reach.....

Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post
    the user is the individual soul which at the same time is like a little stream fed by a river because all consciousness is one entity. this one entity is trying to experience "being". against impossible odds and through a relatively short process, created a human body that is best suited to experience reality on multiple dimensions simultaneously.

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

The brain is a complex organ we don't fully understand. People have had half their brain removed and the other half will take over it's functions.

Arguing spirituality to atheists is pointless.

People may think your insane for believing in something- an idea or concept that can't be proven, it must be felt. It is a personal journey.

Some people believe that monkeys are their ancestors. I can not understand why they adopt this idea. This is their personal journey and I have no right to judge.

Consciousness extends to more than just the human brain. It exists in nature all around us. It is a hard concept to grasp because we have trained our brains to see things in a narrow point of view.

We associate thinking with a brain and life at the cellular level. Psychology 101 says that we will not notice something or acknowledge unless we are looking out for it.

I always try and keep an open mind therefore I see things that people take for granted.

People have built this artificial world around them. It's not hard to see why people are out touch with the natural world.

As scientists study this planet they are only re-discovering things that many (whom's voices are ignored) have already known. Many things are waiting to be found and many other things will never be known.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post
    Now try and find me a lobe or part of the brain that is the source or producer of consciousness, you won't because it is not part of the brain,
    "nothing comes from nothing".

Conciousness could arise in a robot if you could give it a supercomputer as complex as a human brain. Conciousness is simply (probably) a product of the billions and billions of neural connection activity going on in the brain.

...born of a future war Face of the Golden Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THE FRANCHISE™ View Post

Conciousness could arise in a robot if you could give it a supercomputer as complex as a human brain. Conciousness is simply (probably) a product of the billions and billions of neural connection activity going on in the brain.
    Yeah, maybe but who or what is going to design and create this supercomputer? We all know the only "thing" capable of creating something that complex is good ol' "random chance". So we could be waiting a while.

Why is it so hard to think that maybe everything is a product of consciousness instead of the other way round? What is the major stumbling block in accepting that? (serious question)

HETEPU

Req Em Ab

In order for consciousness to arise, there has to be something first.

?

^
    Why?

You speak of order.

In every day life when you perform an action, the action begins with a declaration of intention by your consciousness. This intention then sparks the chain reaction of events that take place to ultimately carry out the desired intention.

All that is, came about through the declaration of intention by consciousness. Consciousness was first.

HETEPU

Req Em Ab

Makes Sense.

But what if youre not conscious oneday? hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by THE FRANCHISE™ View Post

Your definition of consciousness is different from mine.

I can tell that by the tone of your argument and the fact that you believe it could appear in a piece of engineered machinery "by chance".

If you have never felt the connection to nature and the mind of yourself and others before, you will not know what i'm talking about, i'm talking about out universal blueprint, the source of what we are...

i think i'm high

Do you believe in the spirits survival upon the death of the human body?

A: absolutely, our body is just a vessel. this "lifetime" is just a chapter.

What is your view of the afterlife?

A: i believe that when I pass, my soul will go to heaven. i still don't know what heaven is. but i will go somewhere. somewhere beautiful. this ties in to your other questions. the science part im ignorant about. but that doesn't really matter 2 me. there is a lot of stuff that happens that is beyond explaining.

i have faith. i live a good life. ive repented for all the wrong that ive done. my heart and mind are in a good place. i am a good person and i have and will be rewarded for it. i think thats enough to get into heaven. every action has a consequence, good or bad. i think the good ive been doing should hopefully outweigh the bad. eather way i can't get 2 wrapped up in the concept of death. its going to happen and when it does then i will find out. untill then im going to continue to love life and pursue my happiness.

Realness

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post
    Your definition of consciousness is different from mine.

I can tell that by the tone of your argument and the fact that you believe it could appear in a piece of engineered machinery "by chance".

If you have never felt the connection to nature and the mind of yourself and others before, you will not know what i'm talking about, i'm talking about out universal blueprint, the source of what we are...
    I don't have a definition of conciousness. I believe the cause of it however lies in the complexity of the brain, which when reaches complexity levels as seen in a Human, it crosses over and becomes aware of itself.

The question then is how complex does a brain need to be before it becomes "aware", I dont think anyone knows that. The human brain has estimated 100 billion cells. Thats like an entire known universe of cells.

Conciousness could arise in a robot if you could give it a supercomputer as complex as a human brain. Conciousness is simply (probably) a product of the billions and billions of neural connection activity going on in the brain

Quote Originally Posted by Face of the Golden Falcon View Post
    Yeah, maybe but who or what is going to design and create this supercomputer? We all know the only "thing" capable of creating something that complex is good ol' "random chance". So we could be waiting a while.

Why is it so hard to think that maybe everything is a product of consciousness instead of the other way round? What is the major stumbling block in accepting that? (serious question)

HETEPU
    Can you address my question Franchise?

HETEPU

Req Em Ab

I would say that the natural design of the human consciousness took shy of 3 billion years to happen randomly. Thus, you can't observe it happening randomly, its too vast a gulf of time. We are the product of events too vast to comprehend.

The brain works. The brain created the consciousness as it evolved. I don't think that Amoebas are conscious, they're simple enough to still act as machines. We are very complex and that takes more time. We really shouldn't be worrying about this while we have physical issues to contend with in the world. Currently we can only debate this stuff philosophically because the technology doesn't exist to figure it out mathematically.

Like Franchise said, we have brain cells like the universe has galaxies or galaxies have stars. There's a lot to sort through. Lets stick to the easy stuff since we don't have that long on earth.
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS