Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Transhumanism - Do you believe in it?

Default Transhumanism - Do you believe in it?

I'm am and avid advocate of transhumanist principles, and i think science should be used to help improve the human condition, some people say this clashes with spirituality and they use the "playing god" argument in their defense, but i don't believe that.

I believe transhumanism is a manifestation of the power and evolution of human beings, and the power of human beings is linked to consciousness and consciousness is linked to the universe which is the source of the divine.

Therefore i don't believe we can ever truly sever spirituality, i don't believe an all powerful godly being interferes with the earth and it's occurrences, i believe consciousness was created to do the work and it was shared amongst all his creations.

I think transhumanism is a inevitable route humanity will take, it's just people are frightened to do so at the moment, in fear of upsetting the natural order and the religious freaks but it will eventually happen, no matter how long we delay it for.

Cloning I'm not to keen on and i don't think we need it, but cybernetic augmentation, and nanomachines i believe in to the utmost.

You might say hey if your getting some cybernetic embellishments it's obviously going to interfere with your neuroscience, it's going to synthesize thoughts and make them unnatural, i disagree, i believe our consciousness, our soul is immortal and cannot be destroyed unless we let it.

Great source of transhumanist news
    http://www.hplusmagazine.com/

Thoughts?
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

Cyberdyne Corporation of Japan, in conjunction with Daiwa House, has begun mass production of a cybernetic bodysuit that augments body movement and increases user strength by up to tenfold.

The HAL (Hybrid Assistive Limb) suit works by detecting faint bioelectrical signals using pads placed on specific areas of the body. The pads move the HAL suit accordingly. The Cyberdyne website explains: “When a person attempts to move, nerve signals are sent from the brain to the muscles via motoneuron, moving the musculoskeletal system as a consequence. At this moment, very weak biosignals can be detected on the surface of the skin. HAL catches these signals through a sensor attached on the skin of the wearer. Based on the signals obtained, the power unit is controlled to wearer’s daily activities.”

Among the potential applications, Cyberdyne is emphasizing helping people with movement disabilities, augmenting strength for difficult industrial tasks, disaster rescue, and entertainment.

The HAL suit is not currently available. But according to Nikkei News, Daiwa and Cyberdyne are planning an annual production of 400 units and they should be marketed at approximately $4,200 US dollars.

^Barely scratching the surface, literally.

Actually modern science is holding us back from evolving.
    People with flaws are able to live now and are allowed to reproduce therefor the flaws will continue to exist and we arent'evolving any further.

Put it like this there is a padlock locking the true potential of science and what we can do with it, they have locked the padlock at the behest of the god fearing and under international ethic laws.

Once these barriers get broken down, (which will gradually happen as we loom into the future and morals and ideologies dissolve), they will unlock the padlock.

...born of a future war Face of the Golden Falcon's Avatar

We will destroy ourselves with our own "science" because the science of self remains un-researched.

HETEPU

Req Em Ab

Those who choose to neglect their journey will never reach the destination.

Having said that, it's always nice to have a car to get you there quicker....

Yeah, ok, do exactly the opposite of what every philosopher or thinker of any standing said.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Thus Knowledge Corrupts. The pursuit of Knowledge will only lead to suffering.

There are limitations on what can and should be done. Humans are capable of anything, but we aren't supposed to do it. Show some respect to the future generations and don't do anything that could potentially... idk, destroy the species.

We're fine as we are. I don't need a robot body or a universal consciousness. I'm happy enough working hard, enjoying food, drink, and the company of others. You can read all the books you want people, but there are dangers in going into tomorrow too quickly. We created all this tech to make communications easier, but now its easier to talk to someone on a different continent then it is the girl down the road.

We'll figure it out, but we have to move slowly.
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

Wu Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post

fucking A man, you aint picking up no god damn pussy wearing that faggot ass suit around i dont care how much strength it gives you.

you get pussy by looking like Arnold, not by having his strength coming from some nerdy body suit.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoarzHeadBoy View Post
    Yeah, ok, do exactly the opposite of what every philosopher or thinker of any standing said.

There are thousands of philosophers and your telling me that none of them were transhumanists? Aldous Huxley? Ronald Bailey? Robert Ettinger? John Desmond Bernal?

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Thus Knowledge Corrupts. The pursuit of Knowledge will only lead to suffering.

This statement is obsurd in every concievable way, knowledge does not equate to power, only in those who allow it to, knowledge is the only think that keeps mankind sane

There are limitations on what can and should be done. Humans are capable of anything, but we aren't supposed to do it. Show some respect to the future generations and don't do anything that could potentially... idk, destroy the species.

All i am saying is that transhumanism can be used to better the human condition, to eradicate dieases, to prolong death, to make our time on earth more productive and enjoyable which will lead to amore healthy fully formed consiousness

We're fine as we are.
    Cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy would disagree with you on that one
    I don't need a robot body or a universal consciousness. I'm happy enough working hard, enjoying food, drink, and the company of others.
    Thats great but your young, and that is the mindset you are in at the moment as you age things change.
    You can read all the books you want people, but there are dangers in going into tomorrow too quickly. We created all this tech to make communications easier, but now its easier to talk to someone on a different continent then it is the girl down the road.
    I agree we shouldent jump into tommorow too quickly, however i think it should be a gradual process
    We'll figure it out, but we have to move slowly.The early bird cathces the worm
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    fucking A man, you aint picking up no god damn pussy wearing that faggot ass suit around i dont care how much strength it gives you.

you get pussy by looking like Arnold, not by having his strength coming from some nerdy body suit.
    Since when did this become a debate on how to get puss?

That suit would help warehouse workers carry out their tasks without breaking their backs.

An act of God

I've always wanted to rid myself of my mortality and my humanity, since I find the human condition nauseatingly sentimental.

However transhumanism is retarded in it's understanding of evolution.
    True selection isn't the fittest absolutely possible, it's merely those fit enough to continue reproducing.

Certainly humanity is fit enough as it is.

Artificial memory synapses exist in robotics, we also have functional MRI's which can see what a person is thinking.
    Wouldn't it be interesting if I could somehow archive a persons thoughts and memories and put them onto a synthetic frame? I would live on without physical decline unlike my human body, with all of my experiences and knowledge. With the help of these synapses, robots can learn, this means I likewise can continue to learn.

I would be free of emotions, free of all things that plague me...
    I would also be immortal.

All i am saying is that transhumanism can be used to better the human condition, to eradicate dieases, to prolong death, to make our time on earth more productive and enjoyable which will lead to amore healthy fully formed consiousness
    knowledge of self can do all of this - and without the side effects
    and I fail to see how transhumanism can improve consciousness
    if anything I would think the opposite - it would retard it

It would make give you a chance to live a more productive comfortable life, which in turn allow you to focus on spirituality more....

what's stopping you from doing that now?
    problems (challenges) in life are unavoidable - its not wise to rid yourself of them
    not only unavoidable - they are necessary and required in the line of spirituality

they are here for us to learn from and grow - spirituality isn't necessarily just sitting comfortably in your bedroom and meditating and thinking lofty thoughts

when i say transhumanism would retard growth - take that suit you posted for example
    what happens when that's taken away?
    keeping yourself dependent on something outside of yourself doesn't force you to learn or grow and can be dangerous
    its like giving a man a fish instead of teaching him how to catch it himself

...born of a future war Face of the Golden Falcon's Avatar

^
    repped.

Spirituality isn't spirituality at all with out real life challenges.

HETEPU

Req Em Ab