Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu & Philosophy

Exclamation Kung Fu & Philosophy

As Kung Fu is based upon Buddism, does anyone and books describing the philosophical history behind the two?
    Like a book describing the history of Kung Fu or such
    something like Hagakure on that note.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Veteran Member

Default Re: Kung Fu & Philosophy

Not all kung fu is Buddhist.

Shaolin is Buddhist and was started apparently from Tamo's chi kung. Although this could be dodgey...

Wu tang on the other hand is Taoist. The 3 main wu tang styles are Tai chi, Pakua and Xing yi.

Tai chi uses the principles of yin and yang heavily.

Pakua the 8 elements of the I Ching.

And Xing yi the 5 taoist elements.

As for books there should be heaps...however keep in mind the chinese like to mix myth with history.

The MAIN kung fu story would be that of Tamo (Boddidharma). He started teaching the monks exercise, stared at a wall for ten years and lots of cool stuff. Check out his story on the web.

Apart from that any buddhist or taoist book deals with the beliefs of the original practioners of these arts. The I Ching is a good taoist text that gave alot of martial influence.

A book I have Qi gong: the secret of youth gives a decent history.

Most books on kung fu will deal with their history a bit.

Well you see Kung-Fu was developed by a certain Huanti in the 2600 BC (or somewhere there). But you see Kung-Fu means Kung - Deciplined Fu - Person.

Anyway as has always been you see in remote China history has always said that respect was given to the Shaoling (or Shaolin) in the North. yet honour was given to the Wudang ( or Taoist Kung-fu)in the south.

But lets look at the various tecniques that we might know.
    I am trained in the Kujen Kung- Fu technique (pronounced Guren) its a Taoist Skill but i know non of you know it as i was trained by my celestial master (Kiyang Cai Ching). It was thought to be similar to the Crane (Krane Kung-fu technique actually the white crane) but many commentaries in remote China have argued over it over the past 800 years.

Lets look at the different techniques and try and put the history we know!Iam sure there are a lot who can get mmore information on it?

Lets start with the White Crane (Pok Hok Pai):

Veteran Member

There's too many histories to start writin bout them here for me. Also so many styles.

A general history I outlined will do for me in this thread.

Okay

Well the White Cran is part of the Shaolin. It has high kicks like Tae Kwon Do with strikes with the elbows and especially the Fingers ( demonstrating the Crane it self in this form) but also uses the wrists. Many could say Tai Chi Chuan originated from this Technique.

Then there is the Black Tiger Kung-Fu:

Peace
    PS: the others can expound on each also

www.shaolin.com
    go to styles.

go to www.eternalspringtours.com

For wu dang kung-fu

Veteran Member

Cranes main features are that its preemptive, vicious and precise.

I don't think it's anything like Tai Chi or Tae kwon Do. Tai chi is also OLDER than crane so it is not the origin. None of the Shaolin styles are any older than karate styles really. The temples were burnt. I think tai chi is the oldest followed by xing yi or the other way around.

Besides the ages I doubt crane would have developed into Tai Chi. Tai Chi's biomechanics are subtle and very different to crane. I have done some white crane....

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleEnergies
    Cranes main features are that its preemptive, vicious and precise.

I don't think it's anything like Tai Chi or Tae kwon Do. Tai chi is also OLDER than crane so it is not the origin. None of the Shaolin styles are any older than karate styles really. The temples were burnt. I think tai chi is the oldest followed by xing yi or the other way around.

Besides the ages I doubt crane would have developed into Tai Chi. Tai Chi's biomechanics are subtle and very different to crane. I have done some white crane....
    You can check the link below, or search for more info. Which master taught you and what generation shaolin was he, and from which family and tree of the shaolin tree. Which ancient scrolls did you use for training?

You missed the point about tai chi or tao kwon do. And tai chi was not the oldest. Other schools of thought had debated on it being similar, whilst the example of tae kwon do was just an example. I attained a brown belt in 1989 in Tae kwon Do.

Anyway, iam sure there will be other info others can put accross. But good looking out!

Peace

Good topic man, i watch alot of Kung Fu movies and learnt quite a bit from them- also the mentality of Martial Artists and Buddhists -m much of it is how you percieve nature aswell. i will look at those links and hopefully post some feedback...Peace

Veteran Member

I learnt from Sun Da fa. And he wasn't Shaolin.

Which ancient scrolls did I use for training? Wtf..... lol...

Tai Chi as far as I know is the only "battle-field" tested art because of its age. No shaolin style is older than about 300 years old (even though they like to make it sound 2500 years old you will notice that's the temple, no particular style in use today is that old). Tai chi as far as I know is older than Xing Yi and Xing Yi is about 500 years old.

All the Shaolin styles today were gathered together by someone... (Hung? ) I am not sure who from memory....After the monks were persecuted he went around trying to get any remaining skills from surviving monks and they DEVELOPED todays Shaolin.

Veteran Member

Also movies are cool, as long as you remember that's what they are.

Shaolin and Wu Tang were never at war.

A rogue shaolin abbot starting Wu Tang is more than likely just a legend.

I read an interview where RZA went to Wu Tang with Shi Yan ming and meant the abbott of Wu Tang. He asked him about the war and he laughed and said throughout history they have always helped each other, that he viewed the two religions as one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleEnergies
    Also movies are cool, as long as you remember that's what they are.
    Shaolin and Wu Tang were never at war.
    A rogue shaolin abbot starting Wu Tang is more than likely just a legend.
    I read an interview where RZA went to Wu Tang with Shi Yan ming and meant the abbott of Wu Tang. He asked him about the war and he laughed and said throughout history they have always helped each other, that he viewed the two religions as one and the same.
    Yah when you mention battle tested, that's a different story. But its interesting cause there where many kung-fu techniques that where being developed but were not widely known before.

I like what you mentioned about RZA and the history lesson he got. That's a classic!!

Peace

Veteran Member

Yeah my only point on Shaolin is that coz of the persecution of the monks the styles we have today are hybrids, loose ends and developments of whatever survived.

Veteran Member

Wushu anyone?