Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu & Philosophy

Default Re: Kung Fu & Philosophy

There are different types of Kung-fu, although well known techniques revolve around shaolin, wudang, and there are various practices buddhism and confucianism all have their arts of exercise. Martial arts are meant for warfare, but mainly for exercise to keep the bodily health in proper condition, this practice of good health goes beyond all beliefs and you find it a part of all asian traditions. Well with different methods of accomplishing it. That's how you find it that there are those well known in warfare for there arts, but like the taoist it is meant for cultivation, and only to be used as a last resort. Most practices were not used in warfare but had existed way before-only practiced secretly and developed. For every one must develop in the practice.
    Its like the well known young student who has come down from a mountain after years traing and attained the great martial skill, and is well known for his artistry as a fighter-whose won many battles only to be defeated one day by a old man.

Veteran Member

Its like the well known young student who has come down from a mountain after years traing and attained the great martial skill, and is well known for his artistry as a fighter-whose won many battles only to be defeated one day by a old man.
    You mean Oyama?

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleEnergies
    Yeah my only point on Shaolin is that coz of the persecution of the monks the styles we have today are hybrids, loose ends and developments of whatever survived.
    Thats the point with history is that noit all of it is well documented. But those who take care of it assist. Though you have to wonder about its accuracy. Even though all techniques have had their disadvantages thats why they develop them, from the masters of old till this day. And still people will always try to perfect their kung-fu skill.

Also one must remember that Buddhism has its on branches, each with its own skill. Just like with shaolin there are different sects each with their own branches. All these have their own arts they follow.

Peace
    PS: Wushu well thats a broad statement. Lets look at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris
    You mean Oyama?
    You can name anyone. Anyway you see chinese martial arts can collectively be called: Kung-fu, Wushu, Kuoshu or even Ch'uan Fa. But there are certain techniques that reflect a particular art form. Like Tai Chi Chuan breath control techniques, or the Five Vital breaths, even Three Folds of the heart and just to add to that what i trained Kujen Hsi and Kujen Jung slow in movement. But assist when in combat as you can maintain you vital energy in a fight or when attacked, whilst the opponent gets tired over a long stretch of time 10 to 20 minutes.

There are various types like demonstration techniques and others some with particular weapon they use and specialize on.There are internal and external types also.

Peace

Veteran Member

You can name anyone.
    Oh, figured you meant Oyama. he went up on the mountain, came down, assraped everyone, but allegedly had quite the time with some tai chi guy. Didnt get his ass kciked, but didnt win either.

PS: Wushu well thats a broad statement. Lets look at that!
    When I said it, I meant its modern context. I assume you're familiar with "modern" wushu?

When I said it, I meant its modern context. I assume you're familiar with "modern" wushu?
    No iam not well versed in the contemporary wushu of recent years. Iam sure there are a lot who are and have studied and practiced it.

Peace

No iam not well versed in the contemporary wushu of recent years. Iam sure there are a lot who are and have studied and practiced it.

Peace

Veteran Member

Lucky you. Its basically chinese dance passed off as martial arts. The epitome of the flower fist.

Wushu wasnt that the style widley used in Chinese movies, note not Hong Kong, bc of it theatrical style. Jet Li was a master of that isn't he?

Anyways. So there are nog book reads on this one?
    I'm really searching for a book like the one Bruce Lee did, although he never actually finished it and it was just pieced together.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Veteran Member

Wushu wasnt that the style widley used in Chinese movies, note not Hong Kong, bc of it theatrical style. Jet Li was a master of that isn't he?
    Yep, thats modern wushu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set

Anyways. So there are nog book reads on this one?
    I'm really searching for a book like the one Bruce Lee did, although he never actually finished it and it was just pieced together.
    Most books (or scrolls) that i came accross i don't have, on ancient Kung-fu. Cause they only showed me then took the scrolls back. When they returned to China (back to the villages). It would be a bit difficult to find such text on the deep philosophical kung-fu. But they are deep- and it changes your pespective on kung-fu and what has happened with the western world. Iam sure the ones you find nowa days that are published are extremely flawed ( even the most revered masters in the western world) but they do have there truth. Personally i have not read Bruce Lee's art.

Yah Jet Li was five or six times champion (iam not sure whic part of the country). i only have scrolls on Kujen (kung-fu and breathe control techniques) but i was given with the highest intensions. Most of the other kung-fu techniques i had scolls on i'll get them from my other friends who borrowed them some years back which are :
    wudang
    wing chun
    white crane
    wing tsun

Peace
    PS: each has the histroy, philosophy of the art and teaching from the masters of old. Most are from the southern part of china

Didn't wushu grew out of the need for some sort of martial arts, but it was forbidden to practice it within China? So the merged Acrobatics and Theater and drama?
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Veteran Member

Wu Shu = dancing
    and that's the words of a Wu tang master
    He also called shaolin dancing.

Veteran Member

Wushu, in its usual connotation, is dance. Shaolin styles are sometimes dance. Wu Tang doesn't fare much better. Most of the kung fu shit nowadays is watered down. I've seen some cold shit, but in general its lame. After they burned the temples, the monks were killed and scattered, leaving the Chinese government to recreate that shit much later. Generally not the original shaolin you see today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set
    Didn't wushu grew out of the need for some sort of martial arts, but it was forbidden to practice it within China? So the merged Acrobatics and Theater and drama?
    With such elements affecting most well known martial arts, styles which were in remote areas became even more secluded. Which makes it harder to obtain the history and philosophy (some are afraid no one will take notice).

Peace