Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Pixies are quite possibly the best band ever

I haven`t given The Pixies a listen yet but maybe I`ll check out the album Bossanova if you say its good. This is a Pixies cover I know, and its also by my favorite band!

yeah i recognize surfer rosa as a classic now.i was young and stupid and narrow minded when i took it back

I don't know about greatest band ever, but Where is my Mind is one of the best songs ever.

Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic, i like them, daylight nation and Goo are certified but i think the Pixies really take alternative to another level.

For me they encompass so many different sounds and melodies i mean they got the anrgy shouting vocals, the smooth harmonius ones, the funky ones, no two pixies songs are the same, i like there versatality, and the instrumentalists are just crazy at what they do Joey Santiago is a heavy heavy guitarist.

Surfer Rosa is amazing, but i'm giving a chance th their other albums and Bossanova is really doing a lot for me at the moment.
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post
    Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic, i like them, daylight nation and Goo are certified but i think the Pixies really take alternative to another level.

saaaaay WHAT?????

dude what the hell? How many SY albums have you heard and how many Pixies albums have you heard?

have you only heard surfer rosa? Frank black can get way out of line with no melody at times.

I've got all SY albums and all Pixies albums.

Man lets not get into a silly argument here, i prefer Pixies to SY, that's it.

thats cool. I just happened to be intrigued to argue the point because you had said "greatest band ever"
    Im sure you was just hype though.peace

Well i do think there POSSIBLY the best band ever, but that's just my opinion.

Basically you can't persuade me SY are better.

you just dared me to. I dont back down from a triple dog dare so Ill let that lil one slide.LOL

Hm, i know what SID is saying about SY.

I'd say i probably prefer them to The Pixies overall, just because of the number of great albums they have, but they do have some pretty boring material in the mix.

I guess when you put out music for so many years, you're bound to have some mediocre stuff in there.

But yeah, i don't think SY are infallible, they have weaker tracks and albums like any other band.

Nahh

Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic
    you cant say this, and then..

Man lets not get into a silly argument here, i prefer Pixies to SY, that's it.

What?, that's my point of view, my personal preference, why would you want to get into an argument just because my opinion differs from yours?.

You like prefer SY to Pixies thats fine. I don't.

thats not what im saying...read what you said about sonic youth there...how is that any way to avoid a silly argument? thats ridiculous..i can say i prefer SY over the pixies..but i wouldnt say Kim Deal's bass playing sucks and NOT expect an argument..

you couldn't just make a thread saying 'the pixies are fucking great'? why does everyone's favorite band at the moment have to be 'possibly the greatest band ever'? ...or, better yet, 'the pixies are one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years'? not as hyperbolic and absurd i know, but a little more objectively accurate, if such a thing is even possible when discussing music.

'bossanova' is not in the same league as 'unknown pleasures' imo...great album, though. that's really the only one i was a huge fan of, but all the older indie kids i knew used to jock the pixies so fucking hard, maybe it turned me off and it's time to re-evaluate.