Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Madlib Medicine Show Thread

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Default the OFFICIAL Madlib Medicine Show Thread

since we're gonna be getting a new album every month, why not have a continuing thread about it..

for those that don't know, Madlib has been releasing a new album every month this year as a continuing series. The odd numbers are new, original Madlib material and the even numbers are mixtapes, collections of certain themed material..

so far we've got:

No. 1: Guilty Simpson - Before the Verdict

mostly a meandering album of Madlib remixing Guilty Simpson joints as well as a few fresh ones...some good sounds and darts here and there but nothing spectacular and kind of boring at times.. I notice alot of the same skits (and sometimes beats) that were used on the Madvillainy 2 remix album.

No. 2: Flight to Brazil

a lengthy mixtape where Madlib shows off seemingly obscure dusty old Brazilian records...at first (well, after one listen) I didn't like this because i was hoping for hip hop instrumentals but when you accept it for what it is it's fucking great.. Just plenty of great sounds from all different genres but mostly jazz and psychedelia. This is my 2nd favorite of the Medicine Show so far.

No. 3: Beat Konducta in Africa

next to "In Search of Stoney Jackson" this is my favorite of all the Madlib-involved releases already in 2010 (with the jazz records included he's got what, 8 releases already? and we're in May...)
    an extremely rich, lengthy excursion through African records and old movie quotes, miscellaneous quotes, all kinds of sounds and little nick nacks, Madlib just throws everything at you hear and plenty of it sounds GREAT.. next to last year's Dilla tribute, this has to be the 2nd best Beat Konducta album... fresh, funky, lengthy. I let myself get absorbed in this musical journey for days at a time

No. 4: 420 Chalice All-Stars

i had high hopes for this and now after a couple weeks I'm still trying to really get into it.. It's entirely dub and reggae records selected by Madlib who (just like the Brazilian Medicine Show) is just playing DJ here..There's plenty of good songs on it, even a few that I clearly recognize from Wu samplings but, with 80 minutes of reggae music (split into 8 tracks) there's some shit I don't like at all. The booklet for this album is VERY cool.

next up is No. 5: History of the Loop Digga and the two sample tracks that have been put out sound fucking AWESOME and I'm hyped to get this one.

What do you guys think of the Medicine Show so far?? I think it's a blessing and I'm highly appreciative Madlib is feeding the fans steady material (actually he's stuffing our faces)..

We're not even halfway through, I'm curious what else he's got in store
    Last edited by the silencer; 05-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.

I think its a great series.Madlib puts in crazy work.I dont have the first one but out of all the ones out so far I like the brazil one the best I would say and then the 420 one.

I liked the african one but it was super long imo.I mean it was great all the stuff he throws at you in there but I heard some stuff reoccur needlessly.imo of course.

Im really hyped for this 5th one. and for some reason I just want no 9 to be dope even though I have no idea what he will do for it.its gonna be an odd number so we get some fresh stuff with that month.

I like how in the mixes you can hear not only all kinds of throwback stuff but you hear throwback madlib as well. He will throw in lil shit like old samples or old chops that he used to fuck with or made tracks out of.

Its a must listen for any serious audiophile

once again - madlib puttin in work

For the most part, the strange/cool artwork is better than the actual songs in them, but theres always at least one or two bangers in there.

RZA's fav dealer's dealer Vicious's Avatar

I'm all for it. Artists always want this kind of freedom to release music the way they really make it, and I'm not going to bitch about every song not being a classic, or the lack of radio hits LOL. These records are better than most people's regularly produced once-every-18-months albums either way.

And the artwork is fresh.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

I'm still trying to keep up with Madlib's output of music over the years and with this recent series, I heard the reggae one so far and liked it. THese comps will probably be something good to listen and relax to for the summer, not many people are taking this type of reach in compiling music like Madlib.

I always appreciate an artist to take an original direction in releasing music like this nowadays, instead of trying to hit people over the head with the same ol thing just to try and remain relevant in hip hop.

im lovin all the madlib releases, and today i found a store that is sellin all the Medicine Shows, i got 3 and 4........ ill get 1 and 2 next pay week prolly, along with the Loop Digga one (anticipating greatness from it)

I also heard that Slave Riots joint by Young Jazz Rebels. its good if you are a fan of experimental jazz. got a lot of awkward stuff but i dig it.

personally, Africa and the 420 joint have been the best for me. but im thinkin Loop Digga will top those.

can someone hook me up with Brazil? i wanna taste the flavours before a i buy the full course, ya digs?

but ya, big ups to Madlib for puttin in work, and keepin it fresh at the same time.

good thread

I got the Flight to Brazil, and will get the Beat Konducta next. With the even numbered albums being mixtapes & the odd numbered being original works that leaves 3 more albums to go of original work...which makes me wonder if we'll get a Quasimoto album in the series.

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2010...the-loop-digga

the Loop Digga tape sound like it will be great

CD 34 tracks, 12-page booklet/comic (64:00 mins)
    3-LP DELUXE 34 tracks + 10 track bonus disc, limited edition, numbered, with individually screened LP covers (98:00 mins)

i want that 3LP deluxe version, theres also to links to two tracks in there, they sound dope

holy fuck, the vinyl version is 98 minutes long?!?!!!

Avant-garde

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post

No. 1: Guilty Simpson - Before the Verdict

I notice alot of the same skits (and sometimes beats) that were used on the Madvillainy 2 remix album.
    I notice a Dan The Automator beat, also

thought this was pretty cool vid, and hes makin a brazilian beat, its old but it fits the vibe lol

if the brazil tape is like this, then its gotta be dope, imma pick it up soon

I downloaded Flight to Brazil, and currently listening to it.

I knew that this won't be a classic instrumental album, but so many gems are on this!

Listen to track 2 about 4:50 when crazy piano section hits,

this is mainly funk jazz bossanova and such, but madlib kicks from time to time some crazy breakbeat or dope loop of strings and flutes, and in mean time it's pure chilling in the mellow sounds of brazil!

SHAOLIN STUDENT

2010 is the year of the Madlib Invasion.....

yeah i'm feeling this series, so far i only really dug into Vol.3: Beat Konducta in Africa which is no short of INCREDIBLE, i'm loving it!! i also bought Vol.1 but haven't really gotten around to listen to it yet for some reason. Loop Digga sounds real interesting too, very good iniative from Madlib.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post

thought this was pretty cool vid, and hes makin a brazilian beat, its old but it fits the vibe lol

if the brazil tape is like this, then its gotta be dope, imma pick it up soon
    when I first heard the album I was thinking it would have shit like this (i was even hoping this exact beat would be on there) but was surprised and a little disappointed that there were no real "beats"...hip hop instrumentals, that is

it's a collection of Brazilian jazz and other type of old records (just like the 420 Chalice All Stars is all Jamaican reggae/dub)....the more I listen to it tho the more I like, it's really an awesome listening experience as he just keeps throwin gems at you for like 80 minutes straight.....a few of the joints are recognizable as having been sampled before on hip hop songs..