Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Madlib Medicine Show Thread

Just got #5.. the comic book is pretty nice too! Have to give it a proper listen still..

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

they've announced #6.. no cover art available yet but this sounds straight up BUGGED OUT:

"Madlib follows History of the Loop Digga: 1990-2000 with the sixth installment in his Madlib Medicine Show, his psych prog-avante-freak-out-funk rock mix Brain Wreck Show. Madlib’s been pegged as a “jazz guy” as far back as 2000, when he – as his alter ego Quasimoto – released the song “Jazz Cats.” His releases with the fictional “jazz group” Yesterdays New Quintet didn’t help matters. But, no matter how many jazz records are thrust at him by money-hungry record dealers, he most often – at least lately – gravitates to the rock side of the spectrum. That’s late 60s to late 70s psych-prog-avante-freak-out-funk rock mind you; from the Tropicalia of Brasil to the Krautrock of Germany to the fuzzy sonds of mid 70s Nigeria, the Beat Konducta’s rock tastes know no cultural bounds. Actually, we’re not sure if they know any bounds.

This – an introductory mix entitled the Brain Wreck Show (admission, he wrote on the CD master, “One Brainticket” – an homage to one of his favorite Krautrock bands) – should serve to give its listeners a delightfully freaky funked up experience into the rock side of Madlib’s collecting conscious. We’re glad you’re along for the ride. The Madlib Medicine Show series is a combination of Madlib’s new hip-hop productions, remixes, beat tapes, and jazz, as well as mixtapes of funk, soul, Brazilian, psych, jazz and other undefined forms of music from the Beat Konducta’s 4-ton* stack of vinyl.

*4-tons of vinyl, this is true. It’s all in his studio."

Can't wait. I've still gotta go get the first two.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

been bumpin Loop Digga all weekend and so far this week, likin it alot but it does seem a little bit short....at least compared to the ridiculously long records we've already heard from him this year..

it's a true beat TAPE tho, reminds alot of Lord Beatjitzu's outputs..even plenty of lo-fi beats that he must've made on an SP-202 or 303...and just as Lord B described how he'd recorded some of those tapes onto a cassette player, same thing here. From the Stones Throw website:
    Most of the music on Madlib Medicine Show #5: The History of the Loop Digga, was created from beats stored on floppy disc, created on SP-1200, and recorded & mixed on a Tascam 8-track, 1/4-inch reel-to-reel, or Tascam 8-track cassette deck. (Even the debut Quasimoto album was recorded on 8-track cassette.)
    so far Episode X and Episode XVIII are my favorite loops as well as the pure hip hopness of this baby:

so far, I'd rank the Medicine Shows like this:

*Beat Konducta in Africa*
    Loop Digga
    Flight to Brazil
    420 Chalice All Stars
    Before the Verdict

i dl'd Loop Digga but havent gotten the chance to hear it, ill go out and get it along with Brazil, the Guilty joint can wait for now

that new one sounds wild, i dont even now what to expect from that

Volume 6 sounds incredible, can't wait for that one!!

I finally gave "Before The Verdict" with Guilty Simpson (Vol. #1) a thorough listen, once in my headphones and just now loud in the speakers and i must say this shit is great. this might be my favorite so far, Madlib and Guilty have an incredible chemistry together and i always dug Guilty's raw style of rap. this is probably even doper than the "OJ Simpson" album since that had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many stupid skits for an enjoyable listen (sadly).

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i went to get Vol.5 but it was sold out, which pissed me off but also was cool cause it means heads are gettin out there and buying this shit...... so now im down to needing Before the Verdict and Loop Digga.

i just got Brazil, and let me say it is prolly the one of the best, i was feelin it on first spin, i know a lot on here had to play it a few times. but i was diggin the vibes

no.5 is really good, so easy to get into, just classic boom bap from madlib

if anyone got links to vol. #2 and #4 please send me a pm. much appreciated, thx

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    if anyone got links to vol. #2 and #4 please send me a pm. much appreciated, thx
    i got you

props fam

sent....enjoy!!!

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Invasion..... bump

still only on #4 though.
    love them chalice all stars

fuuuuuuuck the 3-LP version of #5 Loop Digga was released today with 10 bonus tracks:

http://stonesthrow.com/news/2010/05/...how-no-5-vinyl

it's 10 bucks to download the 10 tracks (altho they're pretty lengthy), I've spent a ton of dough on Madlib already this year I don't think I wanna throw up 10 for just 10 extra joints.....hopefully these leak out cuz this shit (especially that jazz beat!) is dope

Last edited by the silencer; 05-28-2010 at 10:33 PM.

re-up....somebody's gotta have those Loop Digga bonus tracks