Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could Goodie Mob "Soul Food" be the best album ever from the south?

Default Could Goodie Mob "Soul Food" be the best album ever from the south?

I know it faces stiff competition from "ATLiens", "Aquemini", "Ridin' Dirty" etc, and i know most people on this site will say either "ATLiens" or "Aquemini" are the best from the south and those albums are some of the greatest hip-hop ever recorded to wax, not just from the South but from anywhere, but theres just a certain mood and atmosphere created by this gem of an album that neither of those has.

The beats are the best Organized Noise has done over a whole album, and the lyrics, concepts, storys created are second to none. Its an album full of social commentary that stays the right line of overly gangsta, overly preachy and overly self-important. And then theres the sung hooks which are amazing.

If anyone hasnt checked out this album, do so NOW!

This never gets boring, or old. Its an atmospheric album full of harsh, powerful street tales backed up some truly outstanding beats that will i will never tire of.

Btw i know i rambelled the fuck on there

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

I prefer

I would put it up there. The raw emotion on tracks like Sesame Street or Guess Who are enough to say it's the best. I also think that Khujo Goodie and T-Mo are too underrated.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

Quote Originally Posted by 11th Chamber View Post
    I prefer

Ya i love that album too, but i enjoy it in a different way than id enjoy "Soul Food", or any UGK or Outkast for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by djskillz View Post
    I would put it up there. The raw emotion on tracks like Sesame Street or Guess Who are enough to say it's the best. I also think that Khujo Goodie and T-Mo are too underrated.
    The raw emotion is what i love about this album. It sounds like its genuinly from the heart and they mean every word.

And ya, Cee-Lo gets a lot of the credit but there all great rappers on this album.

On another note. After listening to Trap Muzik recently, I must say not enough people give T.I. the credit he deserves. I wasn't feelin Paper Trail but he made very few mistakes during his career from I'm Serious to T.I. vs. T.I.P. Trap Muzik being his peak.

I never really gave TI much of a chance, i used to always lump him in with the Young Jeezy category, but i must give him a proper listen sometime.

If anything check out Trap Muzik.

no mention of the diary? thats a shame, ima go with the diary, followed by ridin dirty, then soul food and aquemini, i didnt like atliens that much i thot it was decent but aquemini was the shit, in our lifetime and coming out hard are up their as well

^^^all good picks, add cunninlynguists' 'a piece of strange' and 'dirty acres'...trick daddy's 'book of thugs' and 'based on a true story',(i know, i know...listen to them, though) field mob's 'ashy to classy', jim crow's album...the south has some good stuff, but if it's not boom-bap thesaurus digging people automatically write it off as trash.

t.i is on another lyrical planet compared to jeezy...check out 'trap muzik' and 'urban legend'

Comin Out Hard is a definite contender. The Diary too.

I would definitely put CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange at the very top, probably my favorite album of all times. Kno really outdid himself on the production tip, flawless from beginning to end. Deacon & Natti's chemistry is greatness and their voices and deliveries fits on Kno's beats perfectly. Well thought out lyrics, flawless flows and few, but outstanding guest appearances.

Soul Food is probably right up there in my top 3 together with Aquemini though.. Hopefully their new album's going to bring out the soul in the mob once again.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Shit, thats hard to put Soul Food #1 in the south. Top 10 for sure though and it does get points for uniqueness.

An underrated classic

Big Mike (formerly of the Geto Boys) - Somethin Serious

I always found "The Diary" to be a little overrtaed. Its a brilliant album no doubt, but i never though it was an out and out classic, or the best from the south either.

I think i might prefer "Mr. Scarface Is Back" over it.

I could understand that. Personally Mr. Scarface is one of my favorites also. Born Killer is still crazy.