14. "Role of Life 3:31"
    15. "Nosebleed Feat. R.A. the Rugged Man 3:05"
    16. "WarMonger 3:57"
    17. "Paul and Paz Feat. Paul Wall & Block McCloud 3:19"
    18. "Bad Day 2:46"
    19. "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb 4:03"
    20. "Drag You To Hellz 4:16"
    21. "Same Story (My Dedication) Feat. Liz Fullerton 4:06"

Most of the time when you hear Vinnie Paz it's usually with Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind on the production boards under the Jedi Mind Tricks banner & moniker. And when the sound of the interwebs went off a year ago stating Vinnie Paz was going solo heads knew it was coming sooner or later. With songs slowly leaking such as the banger “Street Wars” featuring The Clipse & Block McCloud, it's wonder that others tracks didn't leak as much, but in hindsight which was really good because it kept you on your toes when the tracklisting was revealed. And Vinnie's lyrical ability of brutally honest lyrics, murderous flows and quasi-pop references like Darth Vader.

With Vinnie Paz, reciting a passage from Hagakure, the Way of the Samurai, which was also directly lifted from Jim Jarmusch movie “Ghost Dog” is really cool and explains the title of the album, “Season of the Assassin”. There is a ton of tracks that work for this album and maybe a few that doesn't but the solidness of Vinnie's lyrics propel this album into different places but it's those gutter and gritty aspects on songs like “Aristotle's Dilemma”, “Rightious Kill”, and “Nosebleed” featuring R.A the Rugged Man all show the grime well with very intelligent lyrics that might sound offensive and despicable but in reality look at the harsh world we live and tell me people aren't harsh and rugged.

But the two tracks that turn this great album down a few notches is Freeway & Jakk Frost assisted track “Pistolvania” where they both go in but Vinnie lyrically is on another level and made the most memorable verse .With that said it's sad because Freeway is nice but he came kinda weak and his boy Jakk even worst man it was torture for my ears to sit through. One of the more shocking tracks that definitely doesn't work neither on paper or in audio form is “P & Paz” featuring Paul Wall (yup Paul Wall, I know cannot believe he's on a track with Paz) and Block McCloud wrecking the hook and making the song sound good, it's just the song doesn't work at all. It's another case where Paz could of killed the beat by himself in which he doesn't need that collaboration to break out the underground. Overall on paper this looks like a dope record, but in hindsight it's a definitely in the top 15 of this years banging albums and this album had the potential but a few bumps on the road to assassination land this album at a 3 out of 5. If those songs weren't on this album it would have been a solid four of of five stars but yeah know skippable tracks are skippable tracks, let's hope next season of the assassin isn't as bumpy as this is.

3 out of 5 stars

The Sheep

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

uppin

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

Just finished listening to it. Honestly I'd give it a 4.2 out of 5. It's a great album. Kinda harsh giving it 3 out of 5 for two tracks that you think are weak on a 21 track LP. And all in all the two tracks you cited aren't bad tracks, just sub-par compared to the rest of the cuts. On a side note: This is one of the best produced albums of 2010. I can stand Paul Wall on a track if it's got a good beat, and the whole CD is up to snuff in that department.
    Last edited by DirtMcgehrk; 05-24-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMcgehrk View Post
    This is one of the best produced albums of 2010. I can stand Paul Wall on a track if it's got a good beat, and the whole CD is up to snuff in that department.
    yeah it's still one of these most polished underground albums out right now, paz didn't compromise at all it was those two tracks were kinda a let down that's all

It's funny that Vinnie Paz would have a Paul Wall feature on his album when he stated the following:

"The worst thing that ever happened to Hip-Hop was the Eminem phenomina. Now every white kid thinks they can rhyme."

LOL @ the contradiction, but that's why I like Vinnie, he says some retarded shit.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

If there are two letdown tracks, that doesn't mean that all the others are perfect...

And Vinnie's lyrical ability of brutally honest lyrics, murderous flows and quasi-pop references like Darth Vader.
    This is a bit funny, cuz I only agree about the flows - he can't use popular references as well as Chino XL or Ras Kass, and he is really slowly turning into a rap joke and a cliché. The album has some bright moments, but as I feared, it's the same shit over and over again...Vinnie got lazy. Good thing the beats and most of the guests make the album somewhat better.

3/5 is a fair score.
    bring back begongo!!

he really got good production on this he even got 4th Disciple on this wit Killarmy type beats

I would rate this album the following:

Production 4/5
    Lyrics 3/5

- Production is banging, I was suprised actually. Paz got an ear for beats!
    Hell of a lot better than what's on most of the AOTP albums imo.

The lyrics are decent, but it's impressive that Paz holds his own with some of the featured artists you would expect out rhyme him - but was not so often the case here.

Pre-ordered the album now!

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

anyone know who produced what, or at least some of the credits?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

^^Well I'm not sure who produced what on everything, but I've seen in the promotions on Myspace that DJ Muggs, Madlib, Lord Finesse, Da Beatminerz, Lil Fame, Moss, 4th Disciple, Bronze Nazareth, DJ Kwestion, Shuko are listed by name for this album.

A SOLID production line up

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

Say what you want about Vinnie, but he knows heat, and he knows where to find it. How many times have you been listening to an album thinking "Fuck, he should have gotten a beat from Finesse, or 4th Disciple, or DJ Muggs, or Bronze Nazareth, or Madlib". Well he got them all and more. One thing Paz never lacks is the ill beats, and that's half the battle right there. The other half is up to the listener, it's either love or hate with Vinnie Paz. There's really no middle ground. That being said, if you're down with Paz, you'll love this shit.

1. Intro

Albums starts off with the perfect vocal sample.

not rated

2. Beautiful Love

Don't be fooled by the title, this shit goes hard. At first it sounds like some cheesy gameshow but it all changes when the beat drops. German producer Shuko throws Vinnie a heater and he murders it! Great way to start off the album.

"Everywhere I go, the bol Paz is fat!
    I be loadin it up! I be cockin it back!
    I ain't in my right mind, I ain't stoppin at that
    I will hit his life line in the back of his cap"

5/5

3. Monster's Ball

This beat is mad nice and Vinnie spits flames, but the way he spits on this track bothers me a little. I can't even explain it, it's like he's mumbling in an annoying fashion. Still, my pointless bickering aside, this is still a hardbody track, love that beat.

4.5/5

4. Pistolvania featuring Jakk Frost and Freeway

Philly stand up! "The beard is in the building!" haha. The beat has hard-as-shit drums (which is a reoccuring theme on this album) with a simplistic and really familiar piano loop. Jakk Frost and Philly Freeway come through nice and so does Vinnie. It's just an ill tack all around.

5/5

5. End Of Days

Vinnie Paz on some Da Vinci Code shit, talking about conspiracy. Not any conspiracy in particular, just a bunch of random shit. Immortal Technique fans should love this. The professor sample at the beginning and end works well with the lyrics in between. Block McCloud sings the hook and it works. Also, the keys on the beat are nice as fuck.

"Whoever built the pyramids had knowledge of electrical power
    And you know that that's the information that they supress and devour
    Who you think the motherfuckers who crashed in the towers?
    Who you think that made it turn into ash in an hour?
    The same ones that invaded your room
    The same ones that never told you about the skeletons on the moon"

4.5/5

6. Righteous Kill

Lord Finesse on that! He swings by to drop the hook as well (an ill one at that) .There's not much I can say here, the beat is hard as fuck, and Vinnie kills it. Period.

"I'll make your body disappear, I'm a sorceror's tongue
    You live your whole life in fear that the torture will come
    I hope my music is revered like a portrait of Pun
    I'm paranoid god, here in my fortress with guns"

5/5

7. No Spiritual Surrender featuring Sick Jacken

DJ Muggs truly fucking kills this beat and it just makes it even harder to listen to the new Cypress Hill album. They could have had heat like this on every track, instead they just forgot about Muggs. Beat is eerie as hell and Vinnie makes no mistake on here. Sick Jacken drops by to drop an ill hook and there you have it. Future classic.

"I don't know why y'all scared now, this ain't a new game
    Christians been rapin' children over in Ukraine
    I don't indulge in small talk, it's only true pain
    I don't divulge the plan ock, I fuck with Hussein
    Acid is falling from the sky, fuckin new rain
    This is a flammable liquified gas butane
    Muggs gave me audio heroine, hit the blue vein
    I ain't even Vinnie no more, evil my new name"

5/5

8. Street Wars featuring Clipse

You already know!!! This shit is iller than a single goddamn track on Til The Casket Drops. You have Malice actually spittin' about coke instead of Jesus and repenting. Block McCloud could have done a little better with the hook but fuck it, this is a street anthem!

"Best believe it come back like it never left
    I write rhymes but I bet I'd make a better chef
    They can't wait for it to dry, they like it better wet
    And I'm Heavy with the D like Eddie F"

5/5

9. Ain't Shit Changed featuring Lawrence Arnell

Synthed out! Sounds like some slowed down hardcore-techno (if that existed). The beat is alright though, Vinnie comes alright too, the third verse being the standout. That's the best way I can descrive this song: alright. Lawrence Arnell does a nice job with the hook though, no doubt.

"Every morning I rise up, I open my eyes thinking I'm the shit
    I guarantee if you're fuckin' with me, you don't know who you're fuckin' with
    I been this way since I came of age and I never did play them games
    I'll be way this way 'til the day I lay 'cause ain't a goddamn thing gon' change"

3.5/5

10. Aristotle's Dilemma

POW! The beat starts with a soulful sample, sounds like a Beatles song chipmunked, then Vinnie comes in and rapes the shit. The drums are pretty soft (Bronze Naz?) but they work well. It's eerie during the verses and then soft in between. One of the illest songs on the album, Vinnie goes bonkers on this beat. Nice track name by the way.

"Y'all motherfuckers walk around like you got a wire
    My watch face the same size as a Ducati tire
    Everybody hit the deck when the shotty fire
    Vinnie give your team problems like I'm Staudemeir"

5/5

11. Kill 'Em All featuring Beanie Sigel

BEANS! I've been waiting for this one. As Vinnie starts to become a force in Philly, it was only a matter of time before a Beans collabo went down. The beat is produced by C-Lance, a new producer on Enemy Soil Records. First thing you're going to think is "Stoupe" only because of the hard orchestral beat. The beat lacks the genius of a Stoupe beat but it has the hard-ass drums to make you forget that. Beat is sickeningly hard. Beans comes through with a hard verse, but Vinnie really steals the show here.

"Y'all saying Vinnie is back, but Vinnie never left
    I just had these faggots hatin' and watchin' my every step
    Everything with Vinnie very deadly, every breath
    Everythnig with Vinnie very heavy, heavenly flesh
    Y'all ain't fuckin with weight, I'm doin' steady reps
    I'mma sell my shit and then skate like I was Kerry Getz"

5/5

12. Keep Movin' On Featuring Shara Worden

It's nice to hear Shara Worden again, this is who sang on "When All Light Dies" and "Razorblade Salvation". As the title suggests, this is more of a serious song with Vinnie telling the stories of three different people struggling and trying to keep moving on. The first verse speaks of a factory worker who gets laid off, the second verse is about Vinnie himself, and the third is about a soldier who is injured overseas and is forgotten about when he returns to his own country. A beautiful heartfelt song, Vinnie always shines on these (which is counter-intuitive in itself.)

"Around '94, had some labels take notice
    They said that Stoupe was the illest but that I ain't focused
    The record execs needed to be explained dopeness
    And that's around the time I thought that it became hopeless"

5/5

13. Brick Wall featuring ILL Bill and Demoz

Oh baby. Mozarotti Mozzy and the Cult Leader come through on this one and the outcome could never fail. Demoz spits the second verse as well as a perfect chorus (christ, why can't he spit an ill chorus on an AOTP album.) The only Pharaoh to make the album, he doesn;t disappoint. I want to see this kid go somewhere because he deserves it. Ill Bill is on the third verse with a throwback Non-Phixion "Futurama"-type verse! Oh yeah, Vinnie kills it too.

"I'm a bomb attached to the chest of exploding martyrs
    Code of Honor, shoot me out your M16, deliver souls beyond the
    World to conquer planets and enslave entire populations"

5/5

14. Role Of Life

WHOAAA!!! This shit is hard as fuck! Madlib?! I need those fucking production credits. The beat has a vocal loop of a woman singing, over the hardest drums you've ever heard. In between verses, the beat changes to something softer, making it that more intense when the drums kick back in and Vinnie comes at you. This beat sounds like some vintage Sunz Of Man/Killarmy shit. ILL!

"All I think about is slaughterin' y'all
    That little motherfucker named Charles Hamilton is harder than y'all
    (LOL)
    It's in the garbae with y'all
    Listen to all you myspace rappers, I'm a father to y'all"

5/5

15. Nosebleed featuring R.A. The Rugged Man

Oh baby, who doesn't get hype when they see Rugged on a tracklisting?? I don't even have to tell you he kills it, it's just a given. Honestly I don't think it's as good as the usual Rugged Man verse, but it's still better than what 99% of other dudes spit. Vinnie brings the flow out on this one, I guess in an effort to match RA's flow. Too bad he has to punch in twice a bar to do it! The chorus has a woman singing creepy as hell, sounds sick though. The beat is nice and hard of course, as is just about every one on the album.

"Pazienza the Pazmanian Damian, rappin obtanian
    Crack in your cranium, I'm mackin Mahogany at the Palladium
    I'm Bruce Leroy, you Eddie Arcadian
    I got the gat in the black and the Arabian
    I'm more important like Dick Cheney in it YO"
    (I know it's inaccurate, feck off)

5/5

16. WarMonger

I've always considered Lil Fame aka Fizzy Womack a musical genius, listening to tracks like Cold As Ice and Ante Up. So needless to say, I was excited to hear he had a beat on Vinnie's new album. Too bad his beat is fucking trash. Weakest song on the album by a longshot. Vinnie can't rock over slow beats, and this is proof. The flow is just off. I'm not sure who does the hook, but it's the only redeemable part of the song.

2/5

17. Paul And Paz featuring Paul Wall

Yeah. Paul Wall and Vinnie Paz. Figure that one out. I swear to God, I'm not sure how, but this shit works. Block McCloud sings the hook about gettin' dough and paper chasin'. Then Paul Wall comes in and spits about Cadillacs and bankrolls. Then Vinnie comes in and screams about death and murder. Somehow the beat works well with both of their different styles. So one minute, you're listening to commercial rap, next minute, that hardcore shit, but it's a smooth transition. I can see this one getting a lot of hate it doesn't deserve, it's by no means a bad song!!

"That paper is a fool if you put in work
    I'mma hustle 'til I'm under the dirt, I gotta get it baby --
    I'M NICE WITH THE OX, YOU GET CUT LIKE THE RAW WHITE!
    OR HIT YOU WITH A FUCKING SILVER BULLET LIKE COORS LIGHT!"

5/5

18. Bad Day

No, it's not Dead Wrong by Biggie (you'll understand when you hear it). This is something you don't hear often, Vinnie Paz doing a humorous song. This kind of sounds like a Madlib beat, I know he's on here somewhere. Nice smooth shit, the soulful vocal sample is what gives me that impression. This is the shortest song on the album, but it works well that way. It's more of a funny interlude than anything. I still love it.

"I don't know where the fuck I'm at today
    I drank a couple of bottles, I guess I have to pay
    This bitch laying next to me, she look like Cashis Clay
    Gotta get outta here before she ask me to stay
    I don't know how I got here in the first place
    She had a bangin body but she had the worst face"

5/5

19. Washed In The Blood Of The Lamb

4th Disciple!!! Enough said, 4th brings it on the beat. It's funny how Wu-Tang can't even get a 4th beat and Vinnie Paz can. Eerie voices are layered over top a string ensemble, with a heavy guitar peaking through every few bars. Only slight problem I have with this track is Vinnie screaming prohecies for adlibs, right at the beginning of the track. Do it at the end so we can slip that shit homeboy. Also, the chorus could use some work, but I can't complain. The combination of 4th Disciple and Vinnie Paz works beautiful like I knew it would. GRIME!

"I'm just waiting for the raven to fall
    'Cause I don't argue with Mesopotamian law
    I submit my will and faith into the grace of Allah
    And the Mayan calendar say it's erasing us all"

4.5/5

20. Drag You To Hell

The first song that leaked from the album. A lot of people weren't feeling DJ Qwestion on the beat, but I think it works well. jmthiphop.com released the acapella for this song had a remix contest. It would have been smarter to put the winning remix in place of this song on the album, but apparently not. In any event, Vinnie brings some of his hardest shit on this song and the Sticky Fingaz scratched chorus is a highlight of the album.

"Y'all don't wanna go that route
    Broke motherfucker need to throw his throwback out
    If you see me drinking something good, I stoke that stout
    If you see me drinking in the hood then roll back out"

4/5

21. Same Story (My Dedication) featuring Liz Fullerton of Dutch

Some of the most heartfelt lyrics I've ever heard from Vinnie, this is a dedication to his stepfather who has recently passed away. Liz Fullerton from Stoupe's new project "Dutch" lends her vocals for the track and really does a beautiful job with it. I have to admit, the original version of the song that leaked a while back was a lot better. The way the sample was woven was genius. I'm guessing the sample couldn't be cleared. The album version has a simplistic but effective piano loop with an acoustic guitar playing softly behind it, and an intermittent string ensemble. You can hear the original and compare here:

"It take a real man to walk through the rain
    He was a real man who got sick and fought through the pain"

5/5

Pros:

- Every beat (bar one) is absolute sickness.
    - Role Of Life and Aristotle's demise are crazy as fuck
    - Vinnie is a master of heartfelt songs
    - Every guest on the album comes nice

Cons:

- Album can get monotonous at times because of Vinnie's subject matter (surprise)
    - WarMonger. Wtf Fame?
    - The last two songs should have been replaced by alternates

Total: 4.5 (lowered from 4.65 because of slight monotony)

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

i can confirm that "Role of Life" is definitely produced by Bronze Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
    Say what you want about Vinnie, but he knows heat, and he knows where to find it. How many times have you been listening to an album thinking "Fuck, he should have gotten a beat from Finesse, or 4th Disciple, or DJ Muggs, or Bronze Nazareth, or Madlib". Well he got them all and more. One thing Paz never lacks is the ill beats, and that's half the battle right there. The other half is up to the listener, it's either love or hate with Vinnie Paz. There's really no middle ground. That being said, if you're down with Paz, you'll love this shit.

1. Intro

Albums starts off with the perfect vocal sample.

not rated

2. Beautiful Love

Don't be fooled by the title, this shit goes hard. At first it sounds like some cheesy gameshow but it all changes when the beat drops. German producer Shuko throws Vinnie a heater and he murders it! Great way to start off the album.

"Everywhere I go, the bol Paz is fat!
    I be loadin it up! I be cockin it back!
    I ain't in my right mind, I ain't stoppin at that
    I will hit his life line in the back of his cap"

5/5

3. Monster's Ball

This beat is mad nice and Vinnie spits flames, but the way he spits on this track bothers me a little. I can't even explain it, it's like he's mumbling in an annoying fashion. Still, my pointless bickering aside, this is still a hardbody track, love that beat.

4.5/5

4. Pistolvania featuring Jakk Frost and Freeway

Philly stand up! "The beard is in the building!" haha. The beat has hard-as-shit drums (which is a reoccuring theme on this album) with a simplistic and really familiar piano loop. Jakk Frost and Philly Freeway come through nice and so does Vinnie. It's just an ill tack all around.

5/5

5. End Of Days

Vinnie Paz on some Da Vinci Code shit, talking about conspiracy. Not any conspiracy in particular, just a bunch of random shit. Immortal Technique fans should love this. The professor sample at the beginning and end works well with the lyrics in between. Block McCloud sings the hook and it works. Also, the keys on the beat are nice as fuck.

"Whoever built the pyramids had knowledge of electrical power
    And you know that that's the information that they supress and devour
    Who you think the motherfuckers who crashed in the towers?
    Who you think that made it turn into ash in an hour?
    The same ones that invaded your room
    The same ones that never told you about the skeletons on the moon"

4.5/5

6. Righteous Kill

Lord Finesse on that! He swings by to drop the hook as well (an ill one at that) .There's not much I can say here, the beat is hard as fuck, and Vinnie kills it. Period.

"I'll make your body disappear, I'm a sorceror's tongue
    You live your whole life in fear that the torture will come
    I hope my music is revered like a portrait of Pun
    I'm paranoid god, here in my fortress with guns"

5/5

7. No Spiritual Surrender featuring Sick Jacken

DJ Muggs truly fucking kills this beat and it just makes it even harder to listen to the new Cypress Hill album. They could have had heat like this on every track, instead they just forgot about Muggs. Beat is eerie as hell and Vinnie makes no mistake on here. Sick Jacken drops by to drop an ill hook and there you have it. Future classic.

"I don't know why y'all scared now, this ain't a new game
    Christians been rapin' children over in Ukraine
    I don't indulge in small talk, it's only true pain
    I don't divulge the plan ock, I fuck with Hussein
    Acid is falling from the sky, fuckin new rain
    This is a flammable liquified gas butane
    Muggs gave me audio heroine, hit the blue vein
    I ain't even Vinnie no more, evil my new name"

5/5

8. Street Wars featuring Clipse

You already know!!! This shit is iller than a single goddamn track on Til The Casket Drops. You have Malice actually spittin' about coke instead of Jesus and repenting. Block McCloud could have done a little better with the hook but fuck it, this is a street anthem!

"Best believe it come back like it never left
    I write rhymes but I bet I'd make a better chef
    They can't wait for it to dry, they like it better wet
    And I'm Heavy with the D like Eddie F"

5/5

9. Ain't Shit Changed featuring Lawrence Arnell

Synthed out! Sounds like some slowed down hardcore-techno (if that existed). The beat is alright though, Vinnie comes alright too, the third verse being the standout. That's the best way I can descrive this song: alright. Lawrence Arnell does a nice job with the hook though, no doubt.

"Every morning I rise up, I open my eyes thinking I'm the shit
    I guarantee if you're fuckin' with me, you don't know who you're fuckin' with
    I been this way since I came of age and I never did play them games
    I'll be way this way 'til the day I lay 'cause ain't a goddamn thing gon' change"

3.5/5

10. Aristotle's Dilemma

POW! The beat starts with a soulful sample, sounds like a Beatles song chipmunked, then Vinnie comes in and rapes the shit. The drums are pretty soft (Bronze Naz?) but they work well. It's eerie during the verses and then soft in between. One of the illest songs on the album, Vinnie goes bonkers on this beat. Nice track name by the way.

"Y'all motherfuckers walk around like you got a wire
    My watch face the same size as a Ducati tire
    Everybody hit the deck when the shotty fire
    Vinnie give your team problems like I'm Staudemeir"

5/5

11. Kill 'Em All featuring Beanie Sigel

BEANS! I've been waiting for this one. As Vinnie starts to become a force in Philly, it was only a matter of time before a Beans collabo went down. The beat is produced by C-Lance, a new producer on Enemy Soil Records. First thing you're going to think is "Stoupe" only because of the hard orchestral beat. The beat lacks the genius of a Stoupe beat but it has the hard-ass drums to make you forget that. Beat is sickeningly hard. Beans comes through with a hard verse, but Vinnie really steals the show here.

"Y'all saying Vinnie is back, but Vinnie never left
    I just had these faggots hatin' and watchin' my every step
    Everything with Vinnie very deadly, every breath
    Everythnig with Vinnie very heavy, heavenly flesh
    Y'all ain't fuckin with weight, I'm doin' steady reps
    I'mma sell my shit and then skate like I was Kerry Getz"

5/5

12. Keep Movin' On Featuring Shara Worden

It's nice to hear Shara Worden again, this is who sang on "When All Light Dies" and "Razorblade Salvation". As the title suggests, this is more of a serious song with Vinnie telling the stories of three different people struggling and trying to keep moving on. The first verse speaks of a factory worker who gets laid off, the second verse is about Vinnie himself, and the third is about a soldier who is injured overseas and is forgotten about when he returns to his own country. A beautiful heartfelt song, Vinnie always shines on these (which is counter-intuitive in itself.)

"Around '94, had some labels take notice
    They said that Stoupe was the illest but that I ain't focused
    The record execs needed to be explained dopeness
    And that's around the time I thought that it became hopeless"

5/5

13. Brick Wall featuring ILL Bill and Demoz

Oh baby. Mozarotti Mozzy and the Cult Leader come through on this one and the outcome could never fail. Demoz spits the second verse as well as a perfect chorus (christ, why can't he spit an ill chorus on an AOTP album.) The only Pharaoh to make the album, he doesn;t disappoint. I want to see this kid go somewhere because he deserves it. Ill Bill is on the third verse with a throwback Non-Phixion "Futurama"-type verse! Oh yeah, Vinnie kills it too.

"I'm a bomb attached to the chest of exploding martyrs
    Code of Honor, shoot me out your M16, deliver souls beyond the
    World to conquer planets and enslave entire populations"

5/5

14. Role Of Life

WHOAAA!!! This shit is hard as fuck! Madlib?! I need those fucking production credits. The beat has a vocal loop of a woman singing, over the hardest drums you've ever heard. In between verses, the beat changes to something softer, making it that more intense when the drums kick back in and Vinnie comes at you. This beat sounds like some vintage Sunz Of Man/Killarmy shit. ILL!

"All I think about is slaughterin' y'all
    That little motherfucker named Charles Hamilton is harder than y'all
    (LOL)
    It's in the garbae with y'all
    Listen to all you myspace rappers, I'm a father to y'all"

5/5

15. Nosebleed featuring R.A. The Rugged Man

Oh baby, who doesn't get hype when they see Rugged on a tracklisting?? I don't even have to tell you he kills it, it's just a given. Honestly I don't think it's as good as the usual Rugged Man verse, but it's still better than what 99% of other dudes spit. Vinnie brings the flow out on this one, I guess in an effort to match RA's flow. Too bad he has to punch in twice a bar to do it! The chorus has a woman singing creepy as hell, sounds sick though. The beat is nice and hard of course, as is just about every one on the album.

"Pazienza the Pazmanian Damian, rappin obtanian
    Crack in your cranium, I'm mackin Mahogany at the Palladium
    I'm Bruce Leroy, you Eddie Arcadian
    I got the gat in the black and the Arabian
    I'm more important like Dick Cheney in it YO"
    (I know it's inaccurate, feck off)

5/5

16. WarMonger

I've always considered Lil Fame aka Fizzy Womack a musical genius, listening to tracks like Cold As Ice and Ante Up. So needless to say, I was excited to hear he had a beat on Vinnie's new album. Too bad his beat is fucking trash. Weakest song on the album by a longshot. Vinnie can't rock over slow beats, and this is proof. The flow is just off. I'm not sure who does the hook, but it's the only redeemable part of the song.

2/5

17. Paul And Paz featuring Paul Wall

Yeah. Paul Wall and Vinnie Paz. Figure that one out. I swear to God, I'm not sure how, but this shit works. Block McCloud sings the hook about gettin' dough and paper chasin'. Then Paul Wall comes in and spits about Cadillacs and bankrolls. Then Vinnie comes in and screams about death and murder. Somehow the beat works well with both of their different styles. So one minute, you're listening to commercial rap, next minute, that hardcore shit, but it's a smooth transition. I can see this one getting a lot of hate it doesn't deserve, it's by no means a bad song!!

"That paper is a fool if you put in work
    I'mma hustle 'til I'm under the dirt, I gotta get it baby --
    I'M NICE WITH THE OX, YOU GET CUT LIKE THE RAW WHITE!
    OR HIT YOU WITH A FUCKING SILVER BULLET LIKE COORS LIGHT!"

5/5

18. Bad Day

No, it's not Dead Wrong by Biggie (you'll understand when you hear it). This is something you don't hear often, Vinnie Paz doing a humorous song. This kind of sounds like a Madlib beat, I know he's on here somewhere. Nice smooth shit, the soulful vocal sample is what gives me that impression. This is the shortest song on the album, but it works well that way. It's more of a funny interlude than anything. I still love it.

"I don't know where the fuck I'm at today
    I drank a couple of bottles, I guess I have to pay
    This bitch laying next to me, she look like Cashis Clay
    Gotta get outta here before she ask me to stay
    I don't know how I got here in the first place
    She had a bangin body but she had the worst face"

5/5

19. Washed In The Blood Of The Lamb

4th Disciple!!! Enough said, 4th brings it on the beat. It's funny how Wu-Tang can't even get a 4th beat and Vinnie Paz can. Eerie voices are layered over top a string ensemble, with a heavy guitar peaking through every few bars. Only slight problem I have with this track is Vinnie screaming prohecies for adlibs, right at the beginning of the track. Do it at the end so we can slip that shit homeboy. Also, the chorus could use some work, but I can't complain. The combination of 4th Disciple and Vinnie Paz works beautiful like I knew it would. GRIME!

"I'm just waiting for the raven to fall
    'Cause I don't argue with Mesopotamian law
    I submit my will and faith into the grace of Allah
    And the Mayan calendar say it's erasing us all"

4.5/5

20. Drag You To Hell

The first song that leaked from the album. A lot of people weren't feeling DJ Qwestion on the beat, but I think it works well. jmthiphop.com released the acapella for this song had a remix contest. It would have been smarter to put the winning remix in place of this song on the album, but apparently not. In any event, Vinnie brings some of his hardest shit on this song and the Sticky Fingaz scratched chorus is a highlight of the album.

"Y'all don't wanna go that route
    Broke motherfucker need to throw his throwback out
    If you see me drinking something good, I stoke that stout
    If you see me drinking in the hood then roll back out"

4/5

21. Same Story (My Dedication) featuring Liz Fullerton of Dutch

Some of the most heartfelt lyrics I've ever heard from Vinnie, this is a dedication to his stepfather who has recently passed away. Liz Fullerton from Stoupe's new project "Dutch" lends her vocals for the track and really does a beautiful job with it. I have to admit, the original version of the song that leaked a while back was a lot better. The way the sample was woven was genius. I'm guessing the sample couldn't be cleared. The album version has a simplistic but effective piano loop with an acoustic guitar playing softly behind it, and an intermittent string ensemble. You can hear the original and compare here:

"It take a real man to walk through the rain
    He was a real man who got sick and fought through the pain"

5/5

Pros:

- Every beat (bar one) is absolute sickness.
    - Role Of Life and Aristotle's demise are crazy as fuck
    - Vinnie is a master of heartfelt songs
    - Every guest on the album comes nice

Cons:

- Album can get monotonous at times because of Vinnie's subject matter (surprise)
    - WarMonger. Wtf Fame?
    - The last two songs should have been replaced by alternates

Total: 4.5 (lowered from 4.65 because of slight monotony)

nice review dude

Platinum Chupa Chup DirtMcgehrk's Avatar

Here's the review I wrote up for my blog:

"The way of the assassin is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day, when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day, without fail, one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the assassin." Lifted directly from the Hagakure, the intro to the first solo outing from Philadelphia heavyweight and 1/3 of the underground trio Jedi Mind Tricks hits swift and hard. It sets a tone that rarely falters throughout the album's 21 tracks. Paz's rough delivery may not be for everybody, but there's no denying the epic feel that encompasses Season Of The Assassin.

It's not too often that you come across an album with near flawless production. Season Of The Assassin shows that Paz has an ear for good beats. One look at the lineup behind the boards will tell you he's not fucking around. Bronze Nazareth, 4th Disciple, Lil Fame (M.O.P.), DJ Muggs, Madlib, Lord Finesse and Da Beatminerz all supply their own signature styles to the album, making for an extremely diverse LP. "No Spiritual Surrender", featuring Psycho Realm's Sick Jacken is one of the more notable moments on the CD production-wise, employing DJ Mugg's signature warped guitar samples and dark hooks. Another standout track, "Monsters Ball" uses a trickling toy piano sample that is perfectly juxtaposed with Paz's Newport-ravaged voice and blunt delivery. Season Of The Assassin is worth a listen for the production alone if nothing else.

Lyrically Paz is Paz. The guy's been rapping with a serious chip on his shoulder for years, displaying a pronounced hatred for pretty much anything you can think of. Despite his raging diatribe and venomous delivery, he remains remarkably open-minded, and at times extremely weird. With lyrics concerning everything from Slayer to Aliens, conspiracy theories, 40's, blunts, ancient Egypt and pushing coke, Paz has all the bases covered. Even if 90% of what he spits is historically inaccurate, it still sounds pretty damn cool. It's like a musical version of 300 coated with a glistening layer of pop culture blasting out of your speakers. When Vinnie isn't rapping about Aristotle or how Barack "Hussein" Obama was grown inside a test tube, he's reflecting on life. The true-to-life tracks are some of the best on the album. However, it's honestly kind of confusing hearing someone so brutal and violent be so introspective and emotional. How could a bi-polar, heavily tatted, overweight Italian rapper ever work in any emotionally charged musical situation? Well, listen to the album. Hearing someone so rough and ignorant pour his heart out over a beat will give you tingles in your spine and goosebumps on your arms. "Keep Movin' On" takes a rolling piano sample and a simply beautiful chorus from Shara Worden and lays it down under Paz's lyrical reflection on hard times and money issues, as well as a bit of the history of Jedi Mind Tricks. "Same Story (My Dedication)" tells the tale of his relationship with his stepfather and mother, both of whom have had enormous impacts on his life. Liz Fullerton supplies the chorus for the track, creating an amazingly understated and heartfelt cut on a typically loud, relentless and over-the-top album. Other highlights are: "Nosebleed", which sees Paz and R.A. The Rugged Man reuniting for the first time since their deadly combination on "Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story", "Street Wars" which displays some excellent wordplay from Virginia's finest, The Clipse, and "Paul & Paz", featuring Houston's very own Paul Wall trading verses with Vinnie in a weird mainstream-meets-the-underground-bizarro-world.

Vinnie Paz may not be for everybody....actually I know for a fact that he isn't for everybody. However, Season Of The Assassin at least attempts to break the stale feel that's been slowly developing since Jedi Mind Trick's last studio release. It's extremely diverse in terms of production values, but considerably less so in lyricism, although it does have its shining moments. If you can't get enough of Paz's work in Jedi Mind Tricks and Army Of The Pharaohs, then this one's for you. JMT haters, or simply connoisseurs of "good taste" will find little redeeming about Paz's debut, but perhaps the surprising guest spots and solid gold production credits will garner some new listeners. Season Of The Assassin drops June 22nd on Enemy Soil Records.

Score: 4.2/5

Key Tracks:
    -Monster's Ball
    -No Spiritual Surrender feat. Sick Jacken
    -Street Wars feat. Clipse
    -Aristotle's Dilemma
    -Keep Movin' On feat. Shara Worden
    -Role of Life
    -Nosebleed feat. R.A. The Rugged Man
    -Paul & Paz feat. Paul Wall & Block McCloud
    -Bad Day
    -Drag You To Hell
    -Same Story (My Dedication)
    Last edited by DirtMcgehrk; 05-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    "Drag you to hell I'm evil dead, you can call me Sam Raimi/ These Muthafuckas
    want a verse but they can't pay me."

Banned

I'd give it 4/5. the production is pretty good. Vinnie definitely has an ear for beats. I thought he needed Stoupe to sound good, but I guess not. his lyrics haven't changed much, for better or worse. when he wants to get emotional, he does it well. not sure why he insists on giving his tracks the most overtly dramatic titles ever (Aristotle's Dilemma? Washed in the Blood of the Lamb?!) but I guess it works, so whatever.

still sounds like a JMT album, minus jus allah