Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did the Brits make the best music?

Default Did the Brits make the best music?

It's a question, not a statement.

Rock

Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Rolling stones
    AC/DC
    Joy Division
    New Order
    The Clash
    Sex Pistols
    Black Sabbath
    Motorhead
    Radiohead
    U2
    QUEEN

Electronic

DUBSTEP

Orbital
    Future sound of london
    Bonobo
    Aphex Twin
    John Digweed
    Massive Attack
    Chemical Brothers
    The prodigy
    Zomby
    Roxy Music
    Depache Mode
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

the history of modern pop music is based on artists being influenced by other artists and cultures, recontextualizing these sounds and rhythms in a way that makes sense to their experience and then unleashing it on the world, which then causes it to influence and inspire others and the cycle continues.

so i would have to say no...no nation, region, culture, or ethnic group can be said to create the best music, because no pop cultural artifact is produced in a vacuum.

No, American's have easily made the best music in pretty much all popular genres.

There are some notable exceptions who hail from the UK but they are too few in number.

And what the fuck, AC/DC are Australian, not sure where you got the idea that were at all british. The current singer is Scottish from memory... i don't see how this makes them British though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    No, American's have easily made the best music in pretty much all popular genres.

There are some notable exceptions who hail from the UK but they are too few in number.

And what the fuck, AC/DC are Australian, not sure where you got the idea that were at all british. The current singer is Scottish from memory... i don't see how this makes them British though.
    too few in number. are you being serious?

Regarding hip hop, yes the British are out of that race, but in terms of rock and electronica your really telling me the Americans made better music?

Yes they have their Bob Dylans, Leonard Cohens, Michael Jacksons and Presleys...

But i think the British have been the most consistent.

The most progressive and innovative music has come out of the UK and it usually caught on in America.

My bad about AC/DC, i forgot they were Australian.

Don't get offended, yes music is subjective.

But all in all i find that the Brits have been the most innovative and experimental when it come to rock and electronica.

We have pioneered so many sounds, it's not even funny.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Yeah we are pretty cooooo

American bands (especially indie) are still obsessing over being british-ish. most even have british accents when they sing. its normal. I heard an american band on radio 6 the other week who sang with a manchester accent I couldnt seperate them from morrisey.

same with punk bands, all used that london accents.

you can't even say that america is inferior to the uk in the innovation and pioneering of new sounds...we're on a hip-hop site lol not to mention jazz, the blues... bleugrass and country and all that garbage is intrinsically american.

the whole question is inane. this is some shit i would expect alacatraz to post, except it would be 'blacks make the best music'

oh and lmfao at two british kids with 'i see you dawg' and 'creeping on da come up' adorning their wu-corp profiles talking about americans imitating british people.

this topic is childish.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FRANCHISE™ View Post
    Yeah we are pretty cooooo

American bands (especially indie) are still obsessing over being british-ish. most even have british accents when they sing. its normal. I heard an american band on radio 6 the other week who sang with a manchester accent I couldnt seperate them from morrisey.

same with punk bands, all used that london accents.
    Yeah i've noticed that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    you can't even say that america is inferior to the uk in the innovation and pioneering of new sounds...we're on a hip-hop site lol not to mention jazz, the blues... bleugrass and country and all that garbage is intrinsically american.

the whole question is inane. this is some shit i would expect alacatraz to post, except it would be 'blacks make the best music'
    Yeah and bluegrass and country is shit with the exception of Cash.

I knew someone was going to liken this thread to an alcatraz thread but it's really not.

I'm not going out of my way to say the British are the best, i'm just saying that i personally think we have had the most groundbreaking acts, too many to mention, post punk was OURS, punk was OURS, trip hop is ours, dubstep is ours, IDM is ours, and this is all my type of music personally.

Not a big country or jazz fan.

oh and lmfao at two british kids with 'i see you dawg' and 'creeping on da come up' adorning their wu-corp profiles talking about americans imitating british people.

this topic is childish.
    Now your just getting upset and annoyed for some reason, i see you dawg? its the fucking ENGLISH language.

no i'm not upset, i just find discussions like these funny because of the flagrant contradictions people make in trying to hype up one country or group over another when discussing musical impact and innovation. and just because you aren't a fan of a genre, doesn't mean you can dismiss it as a musical innovation that made an impact. but it all goes back to what i said in my first post, that everybody appropriates, or is influenced by, the sounds and styles from everybody else and that's what makes the musical world go around.

listen to more music and you'll realize these types of distinctions and discussions are ridiculous.

post punk was OURS, punk was OURS, trip hop is ours, dubstep is ours, IDM is ours, and this is all my type of music personally
    the roots of almost all of these genres can be traced to innovations made in other countries...trip hop? dubstep?

listen more.

these types of nationalistic arguments are funny to me not only because they are inherently subjective, but even if it were objectively true...what's your point? what's your personal investment in it? you didn't innovate new wave or dubstep, so why do you care and what are you proving?
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 05-27-2010 at 06:02 PM.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

no need to get all konfruntashunale. (german for "confrontational")

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Sinclair View Post

I have a hard time wanting to discuss music on this site since it attracts sociopaths with very, very strange agendas.

no i'm not upset, i just find discussions like these funny because of the flagrant contradictions people make in trying to hype up one country or group over another when discussing musical impact and innovation. and just because you aren't a fan of a genre, doesn't mean you can dismiss it as a musical innovation that made an impact. but it all goes back to what i said in my first post, that everybody appropriates, or is influenced by, the sounds and styles from everybody else and that's what makes the musical world go around.

listen to more music and you'll realize these types of distinctions and discussions are ridiculous.
    I'm not hyping.

Dont tell me to listen to more music i have has an eclectic passion for music since 11, and out of all the acts and artists on my intunes 76% are British.

the roots of almost all of these genres can be traced to innovations made in other countries...trip hop? dubstep?

listen more.

these types of nationalistic arguments are funny to me not only because they are inherently subjective, but even if it were objectively true...what's your point? what's your personal investment in it? you didn't innovate new wave or dubstep, so why do you care and what are you proving?
    nationalistic arguments? this is not a nationilistic argument it is a simple observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Sinclair View Post
    lol there is like 38 people in the entire US who listen to triphop.
    And look what there missing out on....

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I only agree that Brits make the best rock music. And I agree that some [White Stripes for example] are mimicking english rock.
    bring back begongo!!