Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did the Brits make the best music?

I wouldn't say Punk or IDM originated in Britain.

Maybe it's contentious as to what the first punk band was, but i can think of a few i would consider punk that predate British bands.

IDM is a pretty loose genre, Americans and Europeans pretty much made music like that in conjunction. Although Detroit techno is probably the single biggest influence on European IDM.

Saying either genre is owned by Britain is misleading, and pretty much untrue.

But i do agree with your point about British rock having a huge influence on America.

Listen to pretty much all popular "indie" bands from the states, and their sound is rooted in British rock.

Look at how bands like The Strokes and Interpol are lauded in the states, simply because they approximately replicate British style rock from the 70s and 80s.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

I dont know about the exact beginning point being in London, but I do know that the Sex Pistols shaped the sound of nearly every punk band after them, to this day. And that way Johny Rotton wailed was simply CC'd a million times, I still here it today.

And Sid Vicious, couldnt even play an instrument, but he was the "swag" icon for how to "be" a punk to every single punk after him. Sex Pistols are punk, punk is Sex Pistols, so you can say all punk after SP started with them.

ramones shaped the pistols..and theyre from queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    I wouldn't say Punk or IDM originated in Britain.

Maybe it's contentious as to what the first punk band was, but i can think of a few i would consider punk that predate British bands.

IDM is a pretty loose genre, Americans and Europeans pretty much made music like that in conjunction. Although Detroit techno is probably the single biggest influence on European IDM.

Saying either genre is owned by Britain is misleading, and pretty much untrue.
    Well Aphex Twin is generally considered to be the first IDM artist and he is british, i'm not saying we "own" any music i'm just saying that we are the innovators and pioneers of several genres.

Punk was a british phenomenon, and when i say punk i mean the fully formed anti establishment movement, not the bands leading up to the explosion but the first actual punk bands, pistols, buzzcocks etc etc
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

^^^idm wouldn't exist without artists like kraftwerk, carl craig, juan atkins, etc

you are also completely ignoring genres like hip-hop, soul, r&b and funk in your argument.

also as far as punk and indie bands imitating british musicians...by that logic, wouldn't every non american hiphop group or act be imitating americans? and wouldn't every british rock band in the 60s also be imitating americans? beatles, stones, cream, pink floyd, zepellin would all admit to an american influence. bernard sumner said joy division and new order were influenced and inspired by kraftwerk.

there are british groups that make amazing, genius music. I love most of the bands you've listed in this thread, but this argument and your reasoning behind it, is spurious.

you keep saying 'we are innovators'...which is why i say this is a nationalistic argument, it's just as silly as using 'we' to refer to a sports team, simply because they play home games in your city. yes, there have been some very innovative, boundary pushing british musicians, but in music, "we all stand on the shoulders of giants"

I'm not saying IDM was conjured out of thin air by the british with no influence i said Aphex Twin was generally considered to be the first IDM artist, make what you will out of that.

All i want people to do in this thread is to accept how much the british have shaped and guided modern music.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

what a gay homosexual faggotry laced thread... everyone knows americans make the best music hands down

how much excellent, 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' music and musical styles do you think we are all completely oblivious to because it's either not sung in english, or was only well dsitributed in non-english speaking countries?

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post
    It's a question, not a statement.

Rock

Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Rolling stones
    AC/DC
    Joy Division
    New Order
    The Clash
    Sex Pistols
    Black Sabbath
    Motorhead
    Radiohead
    U2
    QUEEN
    now take away the artist here heavily influenced by American blues and r&b. Everything travels in cycles and is built upon the past as Pandemic has pointed out. Lets not forget the Beatles lost a suite against them by Chuck Barry for copyright infringement, for instance.

This really is a silly thread. British have contributed a lot to music, no question. So what?

Jimi Hendrix
    The Doors
    Muddy Waters
    Bo Didley
    Parliment
    Frank Zappa
    James mothafuckin Brown
    Chuck Barry
    Elvis Presley
    The Beach Boys
    Rage Against the Machine
    Metallica,etc, etc, etc

I could on for days with a list of great rock/funk/blues greats from America. You know what? I can't play guitar or drums for shit. The fact that its American music really is just to say that we've established environments here that are conducive to black communities doing what they can to exercise their pain and frustration and transform it into something magical which in-turn influenced the entire world. But that's got nothing to do with me.

When you break it down, almost every form of modern-day popular music has its origins in the black communities of America in so way or another.

Where would Jungle be w/out this joint right here?

Support the Real. Click HERE

Last edited by Mal; 08-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    The Ramones weren't an actual punk band? What about the Dead Boys?
    I missed him saying that. The Ramones is as punk as it fuckin get smh. It's like he's trying to say you're not punk if you don't sound like the Sex Pistols

Very first sentence in Wikipedia,

The Ramones were an American rock band that formed in Forest Hills, Queens, New York in 1974 and are often cited as the first punk rock group.

Support the Real. Click HERE

Not to mention The Sex Pistols are garbage compared to The Ramones. That's really a matter of opinion though....

The point is that there was a thriving punk scene in New York before it exploded in the U.K.

Fair enough, but it was us who catapulted it into popular culture and defined the sound, plus we shaped post punk as well.

All i am saying is that we went hard when it came to da musik.