Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did the Brits make the best music?

New York Dolls came before The Ramones..

Quote Originally Posted by SHALLAH JUSTICE View Post
    Fair enough, but it was us who catapulted it into popular culture and defined the sound, plus we shaped post punk as well.

All i am saying is that we went hard when it came to da musik.
    did you, did you really?? I'm thinkin your position is a bit over-stated.

Support the Real. Click HERE

Buzzcocks, The clash and Pistols are the first names that come to mind for the majority of people regarding the first punk bands.

The Ramones are less known.
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

you guys are also confusing what innovative is.

the beatles would be called innovative for adding sitars and indian themes to their music. but is that really innovative or is that white ppl believing nothing exists until they do it?

the things a lot of these ppl call innovative have been around for ever, have been done elsewhere or as trivial alterations of things that were already there

not undermining the music of any country or culture, british music is often the shit, but i find that a lot of european music calls itself innovative cause they have a bone white bitch in the video getting milk poured on her in reverse while wearing odd clothing.

this isn't innovative.

also, it's all subjective but as far of saying something is innovative, that's factual, and nobody has been as innovative, truly innovative, as the americans.

Buzzcocks, The clash and Pistols are the first names that come to mind for the majority of people regarding the first punk bands.

The Ramones are less known.
    what?
    biased.

Nah man, i'm not biased at all.

It's true the Sex Pistols and The Clash are generally more well known then the Ramones, i never said they were better musically, but just more well known.

Those are the two bands that people usually subscribe to the punk explosion of the seventies.

you are biased, because all that reflects is what may be the prevailing viewpoint on your side of the water. over here, the ramones are just as well known as the clash and the sex pistols, if not moreso.

this whole thread reflects a regional bias. think globally and consider this:

how much excellent, 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' music and musical styles do you think we are all completely oblivious to because it's either not sung in english, or was only well dsitributed in non-english speaking countries?
    the percentage of british music on your ipod reflects nothing more than your than musical taste.

and this sentence
    Those are the two bands that people usually subscribe to the punk explosion of the seventies.
    doesn't really make sense.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 06-07-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Do i have state this is my personal opinion every time?

Take it for granted.

Regarding Ramones being more popular in America, fair enough, however in europe the aforementioned bands are more popular and are usually attributed to bringing punk to the mainstream.

how much excellent, 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' music and musical styles do you think we are all completely oblivious to because it's either not sung in english, or was only well dsitributed in non-english speaking countries?

^^who ever said that nailed it.
    we in the west tend to think shit doesn't exist until we do it and this is why we think where just blazing the path on innovation for greatness.

i can tell you know the biggest act in the world is P-Square, and there's numbers and stats to prove it, but you're going to look at me as a jackass cause they're not known in your country.

the same way i literally have no fucking clue as an who or what WestLife is, but i guess i one point these niggas were the macadamian nut. You can easily say british ppl make the best music but it would be ignorant to not take in consideration you're in england.

Do i have state this is my personal opinion every time?

Take it for granted.

Regarding Ramones being more popular in America, fair enough, however in europe the aforementioned bands are more popular and are usually attributed to bringing punk to the mainstream.
    Dude, you said:

It's true the Sex Pistols and The Clash are generally more well known then the Ramones, i never said they were better musically, but just more well known.
    This is not the expression of a personal opinion. This also shows the fallacy of your argument...British groups are more influential and innovative because they are more well known and popular in Britain than their American counterparts.

One thing I do take for granted is that the amount of condescension used by someone in a serious discussion, in lieu of a legitimate argument, is usually inversely proportional to their level of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post

^^who ever said that nailed it.
    we in the west tend to think shit doesn't exist until we do it and this is why we think where just blazing the path on innovation for greatness.

i can tell you know the biggest act in the world is P-Square, and there's numbers and stats to prove it, but you're going to look at me as a jackass cause they're not known in your country.
    I said that.
    Because I'm brilliant.
    "I see shit from all angles, God."

ahahahahhaahah! that niggas pandemic is a manstah bruh

oh and

*innovation and greatness

*I can tell you now

for posterity (the seeds)

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    Dude, you said:

This is not the expression of a personal opinion. This also shows the fallacy of your argument...British groups are more influential and innovative because they are more well known and popular in Britain than their American counterparts.

One thing I do take for granted is that the amount of condescension used by someone in a serious discussion, in lieu of a legitimate argument, is usually inversely proportional to their level of intelligence.
    I did not say that the reason they were innovative was because they were more popular, i said the Pistols and Clash led the punk explosion, thats it.

Why did they lead it? i don't know? why werent The Ramones the vanguards of punk i don't know? i guess people related to the pistols anti establishment dont give a fuck attitude more then the ramones leather jackets and cool logos.

Maybe The Sex Pistols engaged in numerous publicity stunts while the Ramones made music.