Thread: SV's "Fantastic Vol. 2" vs. "Fantastic Vol. 2.10"

Default SV's "Fantastic Vol. 2" vs. "Fantastic Vol. 2.10"

y'all might know that early this year the remaining members of Slum Village (including Baatin who was still alive) made a deal to release a deluxe edition of their, by many considered (incl. me), classic real debut "Fantastic Volume II". thing was this wasn't just the exact same album with a few unreleased songs tacked on at the end. according to T3 this was the original version of the album that Jay Dee, T3 and Baatin really wanted it to sound like for it's '98 release (the album didn't get an official release until two years later tho).

Jay Dee a.k.a, J. Dilla's original production! The way he wanted it: uncensored & unedited. Contains original mixes and skits not contained on the original Vol. 2. Includes instrumentals. 10th anniversary limited edition!
    i've had "Fantastic Vol. 2" for a good while but since this version leaked i've been banging this alot more in my iPod (alot of y'all know i'm crazy about original albums and how the artists intended them rather than a label lol). if you're familiar with both albums it would be interesting to hear you're opinions on this! peace - Rest in power DILLA and BAATIN
    Last edited by claaa7; 06-12-2010 at 04:45 AM.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i'm listening to the album now so i'ma just do a quick breakdown of the few changes and how i feel about them. i'ma call them 2.0 or 2.10

01. "Intro" - the intro to the 2000 version features a super dope atmospheric vintage Jay Dee beat for like a minute followed by the Phife Dawg sample saying "Slum Village" leading to the next song. the intro to the 2010 version is without any beat and just has the members introudcing themeselves and the albums name leading into the Phife sample.

JUDGEMENT: Definitely prefer the 2.0/2000 version here.

06. "Hold Tighhht" (Ft. -Q-Tip) - the lyrics are the same on both (gotta love Q-Tip's performance here - incredible) but they have two different beats. this is a little tougher to choose between since i like both almost about the same but i might give a slight nod to the 2.10 version.

09. "Forth & Back" (Ft. Kurupt) - this was one of the few tracks on the 2000 retail that i never liked much and didn't feel fit to well on the album despite a dope guestspot from Kurupt. i was mad happy when i was listening to the 2.10 album for the first time and heard that one has a sooo much better beat that works so much better in the context of the LP.

13. "Raise It Up" - this actually only appears on the 2000 retail and to be honest i doesn't feel it's a shame it ain't there when i'm bumping the 2.10. it's an aight song but it doesn't add anything to the album and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the sounds. more of a B-side/soundtrack type record imo.

15. "Once Upon A Time" (Ft. Pete Rock) - both versions produced by Pete Rock and also features a verse by him. Pete, along with Dilla, is amongst my absolute favorite producers and i always loved the original "Once Upon A Time" but while that one is more smooth the 2.10 v. is more RUGGED and RAW. plus features a different Dilla verse. can't choose really, they equal - altho i must say that the 2.10 remix breaks off a little from the smooth atmospheric filtered soul-sampling of the previous songs (in a good way).

18. "The Hustle" (Ft. Busta Rhymes) - this wasn't on the 2.0 version at all, but i remember i had an mp3 that was ripped of an original promo advance of the album. it's a nice laid-back joint which samples that "To The Hustle" song and has a short verse by Busta. not one of the better songs on the LP but i prefer this to "Raise It Up" which gives the point to 2.10.

besides this there's some absolutely HILARIOUS skits appearing on the 2.10 version with various people coming in dissing Slum Village - like one saying Jay Dee must be out his mind for biting Jermaine Dupri or the one before "Jealousy" about the guy speaking on Slum Village gangbanging his girl hahah (one with a cock in her mouth, one with a cock in her ass hahah). Common and Scratch from The Roots appear on previously unreleased interludes too. the 2.10 package also has many of the instrumentals on a bonus disc and some additional bonus tracks.

THE VERDICT: Well, "Fantastic Vol. 2" is close to a masterpiece with a few missteps but "Fantastic Vol. 2.10" is a true masterpiece in my opinion. the shit plays perfectly, the missteps has been deleted or changed. my only complaint is that the intro to the 2000 retail version is much, much better and set off the tone lovely. i threw that onto my iPod and replaced the 2.10 intro and that's the version i always play now.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

2.10 is the better one for sure. Hold Tight remix is much better than the original. 2.10 also has Get It Together (and the instrumental) plus We Be Dim #1 (a far superior version of Beej N Dem of the Fan-Tast-Tic Vol. 1). Seriously how is it that the The Hustle didn't make the original cut.

The two things I liked more about the original was the Once Upon A Time beat which was already made in 95. Such a shame there aren't more Jay Dee/Pete Rock collaborations. The intro was indeed better, but I like the raw demo version on the beattape (Derailment?) even more. That bassline made every other beatmaker's bassline look retarded.

2.10 is the original version with all the skits. Check out Common on the outro of Players.

The mixing is better on 2.10 as well. The instrumental 2.10 version does not feature all the beats. I have another version which is called 2.11. This does not seem to be official, but I do have most of the missing instrumentals (What's It All About, Raise It Up, Get It Together etc.)

Haha at the amount of replies. Wtf

Good topic. 2.10 along w wu forever and moment of truth (on some days also the infamous and illmatic and any Pete rock album) I consider my favorite hip hop albums

The skits are classic. They be gang banging my girls. Haha.

The original mixes are really I'll specifically hold tight and forth and back. The once upon a time on volume 2 is iller which is only downside but his different raw verse is ill

Dilla really knew how to rock beats properly and come off sounding fly all around

I agree w busta in saying this is best produced hip hop album.
    Non Ignorants

RIP

Does aanyone have mp3 of instrumental of once upon a time dilla remix off the vinyl. It's real I'll he flips same sample as 2000 version

Haha claaa we had some similar comments. I really feel like the 2.10 version almost perfected it, especially if you still listen to og once upon a time bc that beat is too smooth I love smoking to it.

Raise it up is ill. Jay dees verse was dope, maybe the angriest he ever sounded along w survival test w guilty and fuck the police
    Non Ignorants

RIP