Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post
don't forget the trade off between public good and profit.
companies will and do, sacrifice your health to increase their bottom line.
constantly cutting corners.
decrease nutritional value to reduce cost. healthy food is not as profitable.
erode safety standards to reduce cost. safer products cost more which reduces profit.
use inferior materials to increase sales. a long lasting product reduces profit.
use unhealthy materials to increase profit. higher production costs reduce profit.

and the funny thing is that only 5% of this population is rich.
the ones fighting tooth and nail for capitalism aren't even reaping the benefits. they are victims.
This is why we have the EPA, the FDA, health department, business licensing, OSHA, and all the many other USA federal and statge government regulatory agencies.

The thing is, the free market possesses the power to punish immoral businesses. For example, pretend I am an environmentalist. So I am mad at BP for the gulf oil spill. I can simply protest and punish BP by no longer purchasing their gasoline or oil products with my hard earned money. This is the beauty of free market capitalism. My money talks. If I don't like a company's product or service, i punish them by going to a competitor instead. Our freedom of press allows us to compile consumer reports and rate our satisfaction with companies in our free market. I can read about other consumers' pleasant or unpleasant experiences with a particular company. So in this respect, many argue that the free market does a fair job of regulating itself.