• 1: Wack

0 0%

Thread: Danger Mouse & Jemini - "Ghetto Pop Life"

Default Danger Mouse & Jemini - "Ghetto Pop Life"

1. Born-A-MC
    2. Ghetto Pop Life Intro
    3. Ghetto Pop Life
    4. Omega Supreme
    5. What U Sittin' On? - (featuring Tha Liks)
    6. The Only One
    7. Take Care of Business - (featuring J-Zone)
    8. That Brooklyn Shit
    9. Yoo-Hoo!
    10. Copy Cats - (featuring Prince Po)
    11. Don't Do Drugs
    12. Medieval - (featuring The Pharcyde)
    13. Bush Boys
    14. Here We Go Again
    15. I'ma Doomee [Love Letter]
    16. Knuckle Sandwich

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

this is a really crazy album that i never ever see getting a mention, it's a real shame cuz "Ghetto Pop Life" has everything the true blue hip-hop head wants from an album. a cohessive LP chock full of unexpected samples, boom bap drums that knock heads off shoulders, weird vocal clips and just a super dope hip-hopping soundscape courtesy of Danger Mouse - when he was still exclusively a hip-hop producer. the MC on here is the underground phenomenon Jemini The Gifted One, a very underrated cat who debuted on here but released some ill 12" in the mid-90's such as the classic EP "Scars & Pain" (with production from Buckwild and Organized Konfusion, if you haven't heard that one - pick it up at the same time as you do this).

lyrically Jemini is truly a gifted one, wheter it be on some political buisness ("i never thought i'd see black people vote for the republicans") or doing verbal gymnastics attacking sucker MC's his charisma is always shining through. he's a real funny cat too, there's alot of humor involved in all the verses on this LP. as if an MC of that caliber rocking 16 dusty Danger Mouse boom-bap bangers wasn't enough the album is stuffed with guest apperances ranging from The Alkaholiks to Tha Pharcyde, Prince Po and J-Zone.

all in all a great debut album that sadly is very overlooked, but i'm advising everyone to check it out. if you like the production on "The Mouse & The Mask" and can appreciate it a funny, talented and raw MC when you hear one this LP is definitely for you. i really hope we're gonna get to see Danger Mouse go back to his roots and produce some more hip-hop again in the future.

8.5/10

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

This album is dope, if you have never heard it I suggest you check it.