Thread: RIP Manute Bol

Default RIP Manute Bol

Manute Bol passed away 2 hrs ago in a hospital in Reston, VA. Passed away at 47 years old

Manute Bol Passes Away

Saturday, June 19, 2010
    Posted By Andy Hutchins 2:30 PM
    As first reported by a Facebook group affiliated with one of his charities, Manute Bol passed away this morning at the age of 47. (A screengrab of the Facebook message follows after the jump. Thanks to MLB.com's Mike McCall for providing it.)
    Sudan Sunrise, a charity Bol has worked with, is listed as the contact for that group, and responded via email: "Sudan Sunrise is very sorry to pass on the news that Manute Bol died this morning, June 19, 2010, at UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, VA. Sudan and the world have lost a hero and an example for all of us. Manute, we'll miss you. Our prayers and best wishes go out to all his family, and all who mourn his loss." Even as Twitter-sourced stories go, Bol's death initially seemed sketchy and light on details, but that Facebook group had been updating members on Bol's condition since he was hospitalized for kidney problems in mid-May. This tweet was the first I saw that noted the group sent a message to members informing them of Bol's passing this morning.
    Bol spent ten seasons in the NBA, roaming the paint with his lean, 7'7" frame and specializing as a shot-blocker. He ranks second to Mark Eaton in blocks per game, and twice blocked 15 shots in one contest.
    But it is his post-basketball career of philanthropy and service that merits the lion's share of Bol's popularity. His efforts in the Sudan, his native country, were recently praised by the KC Star's Sam Mellinger, and they will be his lasting legacy. Mellinger also tweeted that Bol has died, as has New York Times reporter Nick Kristof, and the Star has published a report on Bol's passing.
    "Saint" is not a word used to describe many people. But I suspect it will be used many times to describe the great Manute Bol

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the...#ixzz0rKy8ByEM

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the...ol_passes_away
    Last edited by MASTER PAI MEI; 06-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

damn! RIP... he was a good person

A truly good dude. Remember when he tried to box and play hockey? Good times.

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

RIP. Always seemed like a cool guy

rip

R.I.P. to one of the all time greats.

oh shit rip

47 years old? damn

Banned

Real tall people like that don't live long lives.

If you are 6'5" and above, you dont live very long. HOw many real tall old people do you see?

There bodies start to break down quicker.

-

I remember he used to always get dunked on hahahahahahahahahaha. I've seen Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan dunk on him. His jumpshot was ugly too but he was a decent 3 point shooter. He blocked a lot of shots too. I think i read recently in his obituary that he's the NBA's blocked shots leader of all time. RIP Manute.

"I got a crime record longer than manute bol" - Big L

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    "I got a crime record longer than manute bol" - Big L
    you beat me to it! this happens a lot to me, when a random name i dont even know sparks a hip hop lyric in my head.

RIP - I know his niece in Ottawa. She said she used to be scared to death when he would put her on his shoulders when she was a youngin...
    Break fast is served

-

I didn't know he lived in Virginia. I know he used to play for the Washington Bullets but I didn't know he lived in the Virginia area. I see he died at the hospital in Reston. My mom used to work out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.