• Royce da 5'9"

1 33.33%
  • Archrival

1 33.33%
  • Copywrite

0 0%

Thread: Who killed it the hardest?

Default Who killed it the hardest?

Got the idea from RRT, just some random, favorite verses of mine that started popping in my head:

Tonedeff (verse 2)

Homeboy Sandman (verse 1)

Royce (verse 1)

Archrival (after Pump in verse 2)

Copywrite (verse 1)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Hmmmm... dope verses all around. They all were on point with the lyrics. I'm gonna say Archrival; love that flow.

Word, glad to see someone checking

And I've been thinking about this for some time now.. Boy Sand's flow are probably my favorite, that shit's insane.. Royce on Boom isn't far behind though, that ish is fluid as fuck, and yeah, Archrival RIPPED that shit.. But all in all, I think I gotta go for Tone(like I so often do, illest skillset in Hip Hop!). His rhyme schemes are untouchable, and there's just so much truth in that verse.

A tribe fan that appreciated the classics,
    But damn if I’m trapped in the past, I act to surpass what they crafted
    And still manage to travel the path on the maps that they drafted
    And man, I’m rappin on behalf balance
    The do it all MC, with the 2 long sleeves, and a passion for practical magic
    A tap of the wand, and I’m graphic – another tap, I’m the fastest,
    You tap again, and I’m chanting on a piano ballad
    The preconceived notions get shattered
    Fuck mainstream & underground – "is the shit any good?" is what matters

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
    Word, glad to see someone checking
    Scratch the "some"....

Scratch the "some"....
    Well, since I'm still here, I'll give a more thorough breakdown of why I voted how I did, for whatever that's worth (nothing, I think, but ay).

You're right about Tonedeff's verse and why it's dope; that's some honesty that you don't always get from emcees these days. "Fuck mainstream & underground – is the shit any good is what matters." That's real talk. But I'm not too wild about the rhyme scheme and the flow seemed to cram a shit load of syllables in a la Talib Kweli. Still dope though.

Boy Sand got that buttery ass flow, that's the main reason he's here. Ill rhyme schemes and slickness with the flow. It also helps that he's rhyming over a fire beat.

I'm a bit of a Nickel Nine stan, so I'm inclined to find the best in his verses. This is actually one of his songs that kinda falls into the "good" category, rather than either dope or wack, where most of his shit ends up. The verse has pretty good lyrics ("You probably ducked when they laid the gun shot in your song" = hotness) and hella dope flow. But what makes this (and most Royce songs, imo) so dope is Royce himself; dude has that it factor which separates the men from the boys.

Arch's beat is the most head-noddingest (don't question my verbiage) of them all, which helps. It's right down his wheelhouse, and it seems even fresher after a pretty meh couple of verses from Pumpkinhead. He has the dopest flow of them all, which goes great with this beat, and it's got some quotables in there; "I treat the studio like I treat your girl - I bust and I leave." Heatrocks.

Copywrite is nice, and definitely is one of the best punchline rappers in the game today. He's nice enough to have stolen songs from all the Weathermen in their hayday, which is no small feat. The beat here is dope, mafioso shit, and Copy does his thing. Another dope flow, which he keeps changing up (gotta love that). The only thing is that I like Arch's beat more, which ended up being the reason that he got my vote instead of Copy.

The End.

copywrite killed it .

Quote Originally Posted by Threyev View Post
    Well, since I'm still here, I'll give a more thorough breakdown of why I voted how I did, for whatever that's worth (nothing, I think, but ay).
    I like breakdowns, they start real discussions (something this forum is seriously lacking)

And about tone's lines, yeah he got long bars, the difference from Talib and Tone though, is that Tonedeff manage to do it without cluttering his speak. When Killah Priest and Talib and even Eminem and Royce da 5'9" on some of their newer verses does it, it just sounds way off to me. When Tonedeff does it, it always fits with the flow, you can tell that everything's planned, and not just some random triplets thrown in so he can write a long line.

How can you not like his rhyme schemes though?! To each his own I guess, he's not the type to start a multi and just keep the multies in one way throughout the verses (like Elzhi or Percee P picking a multi and going crazy with it), but when you start studying the lines and the flow, you find all those little inners and all those smooth transitions that imho is unmatched. Look at how he ends the verse for instance-

Why categorize? There’s wack and there’s nice
    So, I put all that to the side and reset the standard for any cat that just asks for a mic
    So with that in mind, them niggas won’t last after they’ve established their hype
    While mine’s only added, more than half of my life
    And I’m last in a line of cats with divine talent – Don’t ask for a sign
    Answers will rise in the passage of time – Cause I’M the Archetype
    ^^I'm a sucker for details like that, and no one does it as good as Tone. Not only how he puts in the -ine rhymes early, but also how the second multi set is so closely related to the first. He doesn't change the syllable count or the first half of it, he just change it from hype/life etc. to sign/time etc.. And even those are words closely related in sound.

Boy Sand got that buttery ass flow, that's the main reason he's here. Ill rhyme schemes and slickness with the flow. It also helps that he's rhyming over a fire beat.
    Word. Dude got the most original fast flow I've ever heard, and on this track he does it to perfection.
    On a side note, Fresh Daily was nice as fuck on that track too. If it weren't for Homeboy Sand, he would've probably easily outshined anyone else to come on there.. The flow and rhyme scheme are on-point as fuck.

I'm a bit of a Nickel Nine stan, so I'm inclined to find the best in his verses. This is actually one of his songs that kinda falls into the "good" category, rather than either dope or wack, where most of his shit ends up.
    I'm a bit of a Tone stan, so that's alright Used to be a bit of a Royce fanboy, but my patience have run thin. Motherfucker needs to start making music again, and leave those disposable freestyles and corny punchlines to the rappers without the skill to make real art.
    Probably one of my all time favorite Royce tracks, beat is so smooth and then royce comes in on some "my saliva and spit, can split thread into fiber and bits"...
    Flow's so effortless, those opening bars have had me rewinding several times.

Arch's beat is the most head-noddingest (don't question my verbiage) of them all, which helps. It's right down his wheelhouse, and it seems even fresher after a pretty meh couple of verses from Pumpkinhead. He has the dopest flow of them all, which goes great with this beat, and it's got some quotables in there; "I treat the studio like I treat your girl - I bust and I leave." Heatrocks.
    Have you heard the whole album? So damn nice! A whole album with Marco Polo on the beats just can't go wrong.. I kinda feel you a bit on PH's verses, they're decent, but nothing more.. I love his chorus though. And then Arch comes in with the flow and the rhymes and the lyrics, and word to that bust and I leave line! haha

I think I actually prefer MP's beat on Get Busy though.. And yeah, Copy came real nice with the flow (which I'm a sucker for, if you haven't already guessed).. The "look I knew I'd do it, the question is, who is stupid to mess with this?..."-section is insane..

I can't seem to pick a fav (or least fav) out of these last 4 verses, they're all smooth as fuck and got similar qualities.. Tonedeff's flow is actually my least fav(he got some good competition though), despite generally having a better flow than all these others, imho, but his lyrics really makes it stand out to me.
    Last edited by GhettoGnom; 06-26-2010 at 08:36 PM.

id listen to all these but i think i herd the tonedeff song before and he massacres just about anything hes on but that copywrite track is off the fuckin hook, it made me chek more of his appearances, he has a sick flow and he always sounsd hungry, he was ill on gold and bronze magik as well, the thing about boom is i like the b eat muhc more than the lyrics , ill listen to the other tracks n give a vote

And about tone's lines, yeah he got long bars, the difference from Talib and Tone though, is that Tonedeff manage to do it without cluttering his speak. When Killah Priest and Talib and even Eminem and Royce da 5'9" on some of their newer verses does it, it just sounds way off to me. When Tonedeff does it, it always fits with the flow, you can tell that everything's planned, and not just some random triplets thrown in so he can write a long line.
    He definitely does sound like he has everything under control when rhyming. It's just that sometimes to me (especially on that song) there still seems to be a little too many words per line which tends to take me out of a verse.

How can you not like his rhyme schemes though?! To each his own I guess, he's not the type to start a multi and just keep the multies in one way throughout the verses (like Elzhi or Percee P picking a multi and going crazy with it), but when you start studying the lines and the flow, you find all those little inners and all those smooth transitions that imho is unmatched. Look at how he ends the verse for instance-

Why categorize? There’s wack and there’s nice
    So, I put all that to the side and reset the standard for any cat that just asks for a mic
    So with that in mind, them niggas won’t last after they’ve established their hype
    While mine’s only added, more than half of my life
    And I’m last in a line of cats with divine talent – Don’t ask for a sign
    Answers will rise in the passage of time – Cause I’M the Archetype
    ^^I'm a sucker for details like that, and no one does it as good as Tone. Not only how he puts in the -ine rhymes early, but also how the second multi set is so closely related to the first. He doesn't change the syllable count or the first half of it, he just change it from hype/life etc. to sign/time etc.. And even those are words closely related in sound.
    It's funny that you bring up Elzhi, as he's one of my all-time favorite emcees. His style is the dopest style you can have for shadowboxin type of records (in my opinion, of course). Plus I'm cookoo for multies.

As far as Tone's rhyme scheme, it's not that it's terrible, it's just that I prefer dudes like the aforementioned Elzhi & Percee P who have the ill rhyme schemes but also maintain a silky flow. On this track, Tonedeff's flow still sounds too rushed to me.

Word. Dude got the most original fast flow I've ever heard, and on this track he does it to perfection.
    On a side note, Fresh Daily was nice as fuck on that track too. If it weren't for Homeboy Sand, he would've probably easily outshined anyone else to come on there.. The flow and rhyme scheme are on-point as fuck.
    Definitely. As far as fast flows go, I'd say he's towards the top of my personal list. Kool G Rap, Percee P and R.A. the Rugged Man are the only dudes who have a rapid-fire flow in their arsenal that I like more than Boy Sand.

I'm a bit of a Tone stan, so that's alright Used to be a bit of a Royce fanboy, but my patience have run thin. Motherfucker needs to start making music again, and leave those disposable freestyles and corny punchlines to the rappers without the skill to make real art.
    Probably one of my all time favorite Royce tracks, beat is so smooth and then royce comes in on some "my saliva and spit, can split thread into fiber and bits"...
    Flow's so effortless, those opening bars have had me rewinding several times.
    I'm still so far into my Royce Stan phase that I actually think those freestyles and punches are dope. Hopefully I'll get over it soon. (Btw, did you listen to Street Hop?)

I gotta agree with Jas on the Royce track though; Preemo definitely outshone Nickel here.

Have you heard the whole album? So damn nice! A whole album with Marco Polo on the beats just can't go wrong..
    Not yet. To mediafire I go!!

I can't seem to pick a fav (or least fav) out of these last 4 verses, they're all smooth as fuck and got similar qualities.. Tonedeff's flow is actually my least fav(he got some good competition though), despite generally having a better flow than all these others, imho, but his lyrics really makes it stand out to me.
    I feel you on that one. While all of these songs are pretty much just old school bragging cuts, Tonedeff absolutely has the more substance in his lyrics.

Word, I dig Elzhi's and Percee P's style as well, but they're a lot weaker when it comes to all the little details than Tone.. + When it comes to wordplay, content etc.etc., neither comes close to him.

Definitely. As far as fast flows go, I'd say he's towards the top of my personal list. Kool G Rap, Percee P and R.A. the Rugged Man are the only dudes who have a rapid-fire flow in their arsenal that I like more than Boy Sand.
    R.A. is great with it, but lately his flow has gotten really, really rushed in the same vein as Eminem is doing it nowadays.. On tracks like Supah, Uncommon Valor & Give It Up it's ill as fuck though.
    But as far as rapid-fire flow goes, once again, Tonedeff >>>>
    No cluttering, no going off-beat, plenty of nice change-ups, pronounciation's perfect..

"This discussion’s meant to function as a general centerpiece sent at these enemies bent on resenting me, better be set if we enter the end of peace
    Settling isn’t an option no more"
    ^^Who really got schemes like that?

And I gotta throw Pharoahe up there as well, might be my fav when it comes to flow, with Tone right behind. Not the fastest, but when he do speed it up (The Next Shit) it's ill as fuck!

I'm still so far into my Royce Stan phase that I actually think those freestyles and punches are dope. Hopefully I'll get over it soon. (Btw, did you listen to Street Hop?)
    Yeah, Street Hop was dope, but a bit disappointing. At it's best it was great, but it had some throwaways and lacked a bit in replay value to me..

Word, I dig Elzhi's and Percee P's style as well, but they're a lot weaker when it comes to all the little details than Tone.. + When it comes to wordplay, content etc.etc., neither comes close to him.
    Again, I'm not very conversant with Tonedeff or his discography, but from what I've heard I wouldn't say he has more wordplay and content that Elzhi. I'll need to listen to more Tonedeff, but from what I've heard, Elzhi gets my vote in that category.

R.A. is great with it, but lately his flow has gotten really, really rushed in the same vein as Eminem is doing it nowadays.. On tracks like Supah, Uncommon Valor & Give It Up it's ill as fuck though.
    Cosign 100%. This year I've only heard new shit from him on Vinnie Paz' record and the Lost Cauze's shit. Both times he had the same flow and just chucked words all over the place. Every time he does a guest spot these days he tries to spit a mile a minute.

But as far as rapid-fire flow goes, once again, Tonedeff >>>>
    No cluttering, no going off-beat, plenty of nice change-ups, pronounciation's perfect..

"This discussion’s meant to function as a general centerpiece sent at these enemies bent on resenting me, better be set if we enter the end of peace
    Settling isn’t an option no more"
    ^^Who really got schemes like that?
    That song is crazy - I guess I need to fuck with dude more now.

And I gotta throw Pharoahe up there as well, might be my fav when it comes to flow, with Tone right behind. Not the fastest, but when he do speed it up (The Next Shit) it's ill as fuck!
    Pharaohe is my favorite period, so you'll get no argument from me there.

Yeah, Street Hop was dope, but a bit disappointing. At it's best it was great, but it had some throwaways and lacked a bit in replay value to me..
    Word, it definitely wouldn't have hurt to cut that song where he's rhyming with a Jamaican accent. Still one of my top 5 albums of 2009

That song is crazy - I guess I need to fuck with dude more now.
    Word, def check out Archetype + Happy Fuck You Songs (with Extended Famm)..

and
    http://qn5.com/music/song/the-distance/
    And prepare yourself for Chico and the Man, which is probably going to be album of the year and more!