Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Maturation of Hip Hop

Default The Maturation of Hip Hop

In this post I discuss how as we hip hop fans get older, so does the sound of the music we love

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/07/...on-of-hip-hop/
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

What a load of crap.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Starvin' individuals kill Tommy's Avatar

Not a good article whatsoever. Are you seriously implying that hip hop started to "mature" only after Late Registration was released? If that's the case, then you've got a lot of records to listen to that came out before 2005.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

complete bullshit a very limited view of what hip hop is and how it and going to mature, get out of ur own box and look at the various artists in hip hop that rep different things from intellectual artists like Canibus & Warcloud to social comentary emcees to Immortal Technique and Chuck D to the bling bling materialistc rap to lil' flip, currency, etc. to just the battle rap like Serius Jones and so on and so on

I'm speaking more to the musicality of hip hop now. Not the lyrics or the message, which have been culturally and socially significant and very mature since the inception, I'm talking about the overall musical feel, the advanced sounds and the beefed up production.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    I'm speaking more to the musicality of hip hop now. Not the lyrics or the message, which have been culturally and socially significant and very mature since the inception, I'm talking about the overall musical feel, the advanced sounds and the beefed up production.
    Define "beefed up production". Because there's plenty of hip hop albums that have come out before Late Registration that were more richer musically.

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

How don't you get it?

This is hip hop before Late Registration:

This is hip hop after Late Registration:

Any questions?
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

'That album had a full orchestra, not just sampled music, but an entire symphony of musicians filling out tracks to the point where “epic” is the only way to describe it.'

What a load of old bollox. The hole point in Hip-Hop is that DJs Cut-up & mix other peoples records, taking something that isnt yours & makeing it yours. If you want to go & listen to a full orchestra then go listen to an orchestra. If you want to listen to some simple head nodding beats with funky grooves & basslines, then listen to Hip-Hop. Does kanye even play any of these instruments? I dont know, but probably not. And groups like the Roots & the Beastie Boys have been making good beats with instruments for years.

If sounding like an orchestra makes you mature then i wanna be 14 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    How don't you get it?

This is hip hop before Late Registration:

This is hip hop after Late Registration:

Any questions?
    Are you talking to me? Because if you are, and are agreeing with "buckshotstheone", then why did you call his article a load of crap at the start?

If you are using the zip zap rap to define hip hop sonically and musically before Late Registration then you, like buckshot, need to listen to some more records.

Run-DMC messed with instruments back in da 80s, did this make them mature? who cares i prefer there minimalist beats anyway.

Last edited by Phizzal; 07-15-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phizzal View Post
    'That album had a full orchestra, not just sampled music, but an entire symphony of musicians filling out tracks to the point where “epic” is the only way to describe it.'

What a load of old bollox. The hole point in Hip-Hop is that DJs Cut-up & mix other peoples records, taking something that isnt yours & makeing it yours. If you want to go & listen to a full orchestra then go listen to an orchestra. If you want to listen to some simple head nodding beats with funky grooves & basslines, then listen to Hip-Hop. Does kanye even play any of these instruments? I dont know, but probably not. And groups like the Roots & the Beastie Boys have been making good beats with instruments for years.

If sounding like an orchestra makes you mature then i wanna be 14 again.
    so progression is a bad thing???

the sounds in hip hop are a lot richer now, that's true, and the message is actually more mature, but was MOST mature in the 80s, and got hideously immature in the 90s with the violence (real and fictional), skewed values, criminal mentality and celebration of criminal culture, racism, sexism, and heightened homophobia.

a gay rapper would fend better today then in 94 where he would have been shot.

maturity doesn't mean 'better' in everyone's eyes though so ppl should chill with their opinion on which one is better.

the internet is killing hiphop

Quote Originally Posted by Juice Box View Post

Abso-Fucking-Lutely.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice Box View Post
    hi hater. why is the internet killing hip hop? because it's giving so many more people an opportunity to succeed in this culture? because it's exposing us to more artists then we could have ever imagined before? because it allows groups like Slaughterhouse to happen because of the ability to send verses across the country (and world) in a matter of seconds? because it has created a 24 news cycle of hip hop information and culture that spans every sub-genre of the culture?

or is it cause "purists" can't get the pieces of vinyl and promo posters out their asses long enough to enjoy all the dope ass hip hop that's out there right now?